Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TJaames

macrumors member
Original poster
May 4, 2010
As some of you know, my two day old 17" MBP failed 2 days after receiving it.
After sending it to Apple to get fixed 3 days ago, I just received this email.

Important repair request

Dear Taylor,

I am excited to inform you that your computer qualifies for Apple's Capture
Program.

What is the Capture Program?

When Apple launches a new product we are required to take samples of all the
failures. This process helps Apple Produce a better future model.

At this time you have two options.

Option 1:
-Continue with repair of your original unit. You may want to select this option
if there is data on the faulty computer that you have not backed up.
Apple cannot transfer your old data to your new computer.
Please note: Generally repair is faster then replacement.

Option 2:
-Request a new machine. You will not be required to pay anything. Apple will
ship you a new unit from the warehouse. Any power adapters, cables, and software
you currently posses from the old unit, you are entitled to keep. If you have a
refurbished unit you will be receiving a new unit. The new unit will be the
exact replica of your original purchase unless otherwise discussed.

Generally your new Mac will ship from the warehouse in 24 hours. If your
computer has paid upgrades then it can take 1-3 days. Once your computer ships,
I will forward you the tracking information. The Fed Ex tracking information
will provide you with an estimated delivery day.

After your new unit has been delivered I will send a follow-up email that
includes all the handling information about AppleCare. Also included in that
email will be your one-year limited warranty. Please keep the warranty for your
records.

Please elect from your two options by responding to this email.

Reply: repair - for repair. We will process the request, repair and return the
unit as soon as possible.

If you would like a new computer please fill out the following template.

Name:
Phone:
Address: (shipping address)
Email Address:

Please be advised, Apple reserves the right to move your unit on to repair if
you have not suggested otherwise within 24 hours.

Thank you.

Sincerely,

Charles Fontaine
Apple

P. S. If you wish to reach me regarding this case, please contact me at
1-877-388-0879 x40630. I currently work Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Friday, and
Saturday 12pm-8:00pm CST. If you reach my voicemail, please leave your name,
phone number, case number and the best time to reach you. If you prefer--or if
you need assistance with a different issue--please contact Apple at
1-800-275-2273 or http://www.apple.com/support.

Have you been introduced to Apple Expert?

Jump start your next support call by creating a case online first. Let us know
the best time to reach you, and we'll connect you to an Apple Expert with the
answers. Check out Apple Expert today!

http://www.apple.com/support/expert
(Available only in the United States and Canada)

I opted for the new system, as I figured its a free charger and I didn't really get the chance to install anything on the old system anyway.
The only thing that I am a little curious about is the fact that the email makes this "Capture Program" sound like a huge honor to be a part of. I'm sorry, but this entire ordeal is a huge headache, and you're "excited to inform me" that there's a problem. Before reading on, I thought there would be some sort of benefit for being a part of this fantastic program, but I was sadly mistaken.

RossMc

macrumors 65816
Apr 30, 2010
Newcastle, UK
When reading through the Email I thought at the end you were going to get something extra as the person who emailed you said "I am excited to inform you"

But its just the same as a normal repair:p

slpdLoad

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2009
That is typical stock letter writing, nothing to get upset about. You got lucky, and get a brand new machine.

TJaames

macrumors member
Original poster
May 4, 2010
The machine was a week old, regardless. I wouldn't mind either way, I'm taking the 2nd option simply because I don't want whatever happened to happen again. I'm not upset at all, I just think it is kind of an odd way to ask how I would like it fixed.

MikeDProducer

macrumors member
Mar 6, 2019
This just happened to me. So crazy. My 2015
15 inch MacBook Pro had the letter “I” on the keyboard stop working properly. When you push the rubber thing with a pencil, it worked. But not with the key.

The Mall or America Apple store said it would be a $310 replacement of the entire top case. I left kind of sad.

When I got to my car my phone rang. It was the genius at the store. He said Apple wanted to capture my old machine. I had no clue what it meant.

I ran back to the store. I turned in my 2015 machine and walked out with a brand new 2018 15 inch MacBook Pro. Didn’t cost me a nickel. The guy said he only recalls this happening one time in the 9 years he worked there.

I’m stunned. I feel like I am dreaming. Has anyone else ever seen this? Google doesn’t have much other than this thread!

SDColorado

macrumors 601
Nov 6, 2011
Highlands Ranch, CO
15 inch MacBook Pro had the letter “I” on the keyboard stop working properly. When you push the rubber thing with a pencil, it worked. But not with the key.

The Mall or America Apple store said it would be a $310 replacement of the entire top case. I left kind of sad.

When I got to my car my phone rang. It was the genius at the store. He said Apple wanted to capture my old machine. I had no clue what it meant.

I ran back to the store. I turned in my 2015 machine and walked out with a brand new 2018 15 inch MacBook Pro. Didn’t cost me a nickel. The guy said he only recalls this happening one time in the 9 years he worked there.

I’m stunned. I feel like I am dreaming. Has anyone else ever seen this? Google doesn’t have much other than this thread!

I have only had it happen when Apple captured my original 2018 MBP and replaced it with another, but in that case my original one was only a few days old, so not really a big deal.

poorcody

macrumors 65816
Jul 23, 2013
15 inch MacBook Pro had the letter “I” on the keyboard stop worKing...
A 2015 machine? With the pre-butterfly keyboard? Why would they want to capture a design they don't even make anymore?

MikeDProducer

macrumors member
Mar 6, 2019
A 2015 machine? With the pre-butterfly keyboard? Why would they want to capture a design they don't even make anymore?

I have no idea. I am stunned. They just said that my particular machine was flagged for some reason. He said he didn’t save the notes for my case until after I left the store. That is when the message told him they wanted to capture it. He also said that it might be because my machine had a perfect diagnostic score, while showing an odd variation of a keyboard problem.

I was so frustrated with the keyboard malfunction but this certainly cleared up that issue! Haha.

Reactions: poorcody

Eithanius

macrumors 68000
Nov 19, 2005
Does a 2007 8-core MP to 2009 8-core MP qualify as one..? At that time Apple never mentioned it was a Capture Program.

goslowjoe

Suspended
Dec 22, 2017
I have no idea. I am stunned. They just said that my particular machine was flagged for some reason. He said he didn’t save the notes for my case until after I left the store. That is when the message told him they wanted to capture it. He also said that it might be because my machine had a perfect diagnostic score, while showing an odd variation of a keyboard problem.

I was so frustrated with the keyboard malfunction but this certainly cleared up that issue! Haha.
Mmm, maybe someone at Apple does after all read our posts here and has informed the higher powers that there are many who have ditched their new units to invest in an older 2015 unit instead, because IT JUST WORKS, and they are thinking of reintroducing it? Wouldn't that be cool?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.