Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Old May 8, 2010, 09:44 PM   #1
cricketbird
macrumors member

Mac Mail: my sent mail doesn't show up in threaded messages

In an effort to make Mail more gmail-like, I selected the "View>Organize by thread" option. However, this only seems to group messages in my inbox and doesn't include my sent messages within the same conversation.

Is this how threaded messages are supposed to work? Just one side of a conversation? Or is there a setting to get my sent messages to show up in the threaded conversation?

I am using Mac Mail to check my gmail acct via IMAP. I am using the settings specified by google. I have selected the appropriate folders and mapped them using the "Use this folder for..." menu item. My sent messages are both in the Sent folder (for a while, then they disappear) and below in my Gmail>Sent Mail folder (always current). I have the option selected to store them on the server.

Thanks,
CB
cricketbird is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2010, 09:14 AM   #2
miles01110
macrumors 604

Mail and Gmail display messages differently. Gmail combines received and sent messages in the same thread. Mail groups sent messages or received messages in the same "thread", but doesn't display them concurrently.

There's no way to change this behavior, so if you're unhappy with how Mail.app displays threads I suggest you stick with Gmail's web interface.
Old May 23, 2012, 06:05 AM   #3
dawsonj
macrumors newbie

Outlook threads properly too

Quote:
Originally Posted by miles01110 View Post
Mail and Gmail display messages differently. Gmail combines received and sent messages in the same thread. Mail groups sent messages or received messages in the same "thread", but doesn't display them concurrently.

There's no way to change this behavior, so if you're unhappy with how Mail.app displays threads I suggest you stick with Gmail's web interface.
It is annoying.
Outlook 2011 for MAC threads propertly (shows sent messages) but spotlight search within outlook never finds all the mail that the same search in mail.app does.

I agree threaded conversations without knowing what you said in between the emails is kind of dumb :-(
dawsonj is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2012, 06:00 AM   #4
JohnDCCIU
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawsonj View Post
It is annoying.
Outlook 2011 for MAC threads propertly (shows sent messages) but spotlight search within outlook never finds all the mail that the same search in mail.app does.

I agree threaded conversations without knowing what you said in between the emails is kind of dumb :-(
I agree that's dumb....but it's also how Outlook 2011 for Mac does it, at least when it's hooked up to an Exchange account. Unlike the Outlook Windows client, the Mac client doesn't seem to be able to show messages from other folders (notably the Sent folder) in Conversation View. If I'm wrong, I wish someone would tell me how, because I love a Unified Mailbox and this Inbox/Outbox nonsense is driving me nuts!
JohnDCCIU is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store