Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wombat888

macrumors 6502a
May 10, 2008
Nice. It hasn't been a problem for me - my iPad forgets passwords sometimes, but if you cancel and retry, it remembers. Such a minor issue that it doesn't matter. But enough people have posted here about worse issues that it's appropriate for Apple to acknowledge it and work on a fix.

patsfan83

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 6, 2008
I get the prompting for password/cancel and it connects all the time on my iPhone. Not surprised it's happening on the iPad as well.

Spoke too soon with the brightness fix...hopefully 3.2.1 is around the corner.

theone09

macrumors regular
Nov 17, 2008
I get the prompting for password/cancel and it connects all the time on my iPhone. Not surprised it's happening on the iPad as well.

Spoke too soon with the brightness fix...hopefully 3.2.1 is around the corner.

when i get the forgetting password, i just cancel it, let the ipad sleep about one or two minutes, then turn it back on. it connects again.

4DThinker

macrumors 68020
Mar 15, 2008
I'll bet the problems are mainly about poor programming sequence. For example when the iPad tries to connect it does a fraction of a second before checking for the passcode to verify the connection. With N connections the router sends an error code before the iPad has had a chance to load the password, and of course the iPad then thinks it didn't have the right code so asks you to enter it again. The software fix may be as simple as having the ipad read the code into memory before trying to connect. Or maybe inserting a retry before asking you for the password again. My Touch does the same every now and then now that I've enabled N on my D-Link.

Battlestar

macrumors 6502
May 9, 2010
Boston
I'll bet the problems are mainly about poor programming sequence. For example when the iPad tries to connect it does a fraction of a second before checking for the passcode to verify the connection. With N connections the router sends an error code before the iPad has had a chance to load the password, and of course the iPad then thinks it didn't have the right code so asks you to enter it again. The software fix may be as simple as having the ipad read the code into memory before trying to connect. Or maybe inserting a retry before asking you for the password again. My Touch does the same every now and then now that I've enabled N on my D-Link.

Wouldn't you think that there would have been some testing on the WiFi before they released these to the public?

Or do they use the public to do their testing?

Payton3485

macrumors member
May 1, 2010
I wonder if the issue was just with some and not others. I have had zero issues with my 3G/wifi iPad. I have not had any issues with passwords either. I was able to use it this weekend at my brother-in-law's house and also had no issues. I am glad these issues are being addressed by Apple for those that do have issues.

ctakim

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2006
I have a 3G and a wifi iPad and the wifi only version seems to have more problems connecting to my Verizon FiOS router. The 3G has not had any issues interestingly!

p-rice

macrumors regular
Apr 18, 2010
Las Vegas
I'm glad they acknowledge it. Now those apple geniuses at the Store can stop pretending like the issue is not there.

GamecockMac

macrumors 6502a
Oct 20, 2005
Columbia, SC
Wouldn't you think that there would have been some testing on the WiFi before they released these to the public?

Or do they use the public to do their testing?

Every company uses the public to do their testing.

Google "xbox 360 red ring of death" or "toyota runaway acceleration".

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
nolesfan said:
I just wonder what the actual problem is? Software, os?

If a software update is being released to fix the issue then I would venture to guess it's software related. ;)

flyingturtle

macrumors regular
Apr 7, 2010
Yes! Thanks for posting this.

I didn't get the Wi-Fi problems that frequently but still nevertheless, very annoying.

Reading that announcement, I chuckled that they had to begin the press release with "a very small number of iPad users". OK perhaps it is true that a minority of users are getting the bug, although it doesn't seem so, if was such a tiny minority, I don't think this issue would have been fixed so fast. Did they have to use the word "very"? It seems like there are going through pains to make it seems like this fix is almost a non-issue and that we are lucky to have a nice company as Apple fixing a problem for a few unlucky souls.

Legolover64

macrumors regular
Feb 24, 2008
I've had the "Connecting" issue, and also the DHCP issue, which I think is related. Basically, Apple clearly put little work into testing the DHCP client on the iPad, therefore it handles leases in a really unintelligent way. I hope they fix the issue soon.

I also hope we can choose what quality we want YouTube videos at. 720p is not always the best option.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.