Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old May 9, 2010, 06:54 PM   #1
KnowNol
Banned

What happens if I restore my iPhone?

I have a backup with iTunes, but I'm still wondering what happens if I restore. When I backup, do I get back my numbers, texts, and all of that stuff?
KnowNol is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2010, 07:55 PM   #2
andybno1
macrumors 68040

when you backup, it stores your phone numbers, texts, camera roll, settings for phone and apps
andybno1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2010, 08:22 PM   #3
iMJustAGuy
Banned

Sure!

Apps, settings for phone, camera roll, texts, and phone numbers are stored when you back up.

I wanted to post earlier but I didn't know the answer
iMJustAGuy is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2010, 09:52 PM   #4
GodlyDan
macrumors newbie

Send a message via Skype™ to GodlyDan
Backups dont seem to work in the 4.0 Beta so as long as thats not your FW you wont loose your contacts or setting etc..
GodlyDan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2010, 10:10 PM   #5
dhjapple89
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GodlyDan View Post
Backups dont seem to work in the 4.0 Beta so as long as thats not your FW you wont loose your contacts or setting etc..
Backups work perfectly fine in the 4.0 betas. You have to have Xcode installed on the computer you are using the phone with.
Old May 9, 2010, 10:15 PM   #6
GodlyDan
macrumors newbie

Send a message via Skype™ to GodlyDan
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhjapple89 View Post
Backups work perfectly fine in the 4.0 betas. You have to have Xcode installed on the computer you are using the phone with.
Thanks a lot for letting me know that. My main PC is a windows 7 based HP so I use my Mac Mini to develop for and Install the Beta Firmware on but then i switch it over to my HP for my music, apps, and syncing. That would explain it
Old May 11, 2010, 03:21 AM   #7
sandeep2
macrumors newbie

Yes it will re-store all the things you have mentioned. i-phone is a great piece with all the techniques to make everything more easy............
sandeep2 is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2010, 03:41 AM   #8
PBF
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnowNol View Post
What happens if I restore my iPhone?
It'll turn into a leprechaun!
PBF is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2010, 10:00 AM   #9
junior1221
macrumors newbie

Does it reset the software? like if i upgraded it to 4.0 will it go back?
junior1221 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2010, 10:29 AM   #10
Snowman3459
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by junior1221 View Post
Does it reset the software? like if i upgraded it to 4.0 will it go back?
No.
Old Jul 6, 2010, 10:35 AM   #11
maturola
macrumors 68040

Send a message via AIM to maturola
Quote:
Originally Posted by PBF View Post
It'll turn into a leprechaun!
+1

Full of win this reply!...
maturola is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2011, 01:36 AM   #12
yogistud
macrumors newbie

Fml

ok so i have an iphone 4 with 4.3.3 on it and i have apps with pictures in them that arent in the camera roll. will those be saved too? and what about my music? i have i think 5gb of music that isnt in my itunes?

i <3 but for some reason my itunes wont recognize the settings and data thats why i need to restor.
yogistud is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2013, 09:10 PM   #13
aggri1
macrumors regular

Hi,

I'd like to expand the question, this thread popped up during a search.

I've an iPhone 4, currently running iOS 5: I do not want iOS 7. I have backups in iTunes, on an Intel Mac running 10.6.8.

What happens if I have to do a Restore?

Specifically, will iTunes happily restore the iOS 5 system and my files from the local backup? Or will it first check what the current version of iOS is, and insist that I download and install that?

I'm fearful that if I have to re-install iOS again (phone already had hardware issue once before, requiring full restore), that I'll be forced to update iOS.

A follow-up question would be; what would happen in this circumstance were I instead using a PowerMac running Leopard? After all, when I bought the phone, its requirements were met by the Leopard PPC Mac (I think I had Tiger, even), which I was using at the time. The PPC version of iTunes on Leopard probably can't install iOS 7 (?), so what does it do instead? Download and install the latest available one? I doubt that, what with Apple's idiotic control freak restrictions on old iOS versions. If I bought a product which worked perfectly well with my computer, is it reasonable that after a while that product no longer works, even though I've changed nothing? Hopefully that's not the case, but anyway, that's why I'm asking here.

Thanks in advance for your replies...

Cheers.
aggri1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone