Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PuterSaurus

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 9, 2003
Gulf Coast
I received my new iMac G5 20" this week and have been fighting with BT keyboard and mouse issues since I first connected the two. I'm using a Apple keyboard and Radtech BT500 mouse.

I've read many post over at the Apple Discussions board in the support forms but none helped solve the problem until this morning when Barrett posted what he discovered here.

The problem seems to be when the Airport Extreme card is on you can not keep a connection via Bluetooth with the keyboard or mouse. You can either be using just one device or two it doesn't matter. In other works, I've ruled out that it's conflicting with each other.

As I posted over at the Apple boards I've had to turn off Airport just to type this message which works flawlessly.

I'm asking anyone with the same setup to please check what was found and report back.

I might mention that I'm also using two Airport Express' and a Apple Base station in my house.

jermsmingy

macrumors regular
Feb 25, 2002
Houston
Well, my powerbook didn't have airport extreme, but it had regular airport and I used a bluetooth mouse and keyboard all the time and never had a single issue.

PuterSaurus

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 9, 2003
Gulf Coast
I was elevated to engineering because he thinks there is a problem with interferance.

Off the phone....over 1 hour with two separate tech's.

Reference: 42485482

Celeron

macrumors 6502a
Mar 11, 2004
This is hardly surprising. Bluetooth and Airport Extreme operate on the same frequency. If the antenna are too close to each other you are going to get some mondo interference. Sounds like the Airport's output power is just demolishing the Bluetooth.

Technically there shouldn't be that much interference because Bluetooth uses frequency hopping. One thing you might want to try however is changing the channel on your wireless access point. Use either channel 1 or 11. Old rule of thumb was 1, 6, or 11, but now its known that 6 bleeds over into 1 and into 11.

ebook

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2004
Sprint Car Capital of the World
I'm not sure that's true for me. I have bluetooth keyboard and mouse and am using AirPort Extreme for my internet connection with no problems. I wonder if there is some sort of hardware defect.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.