Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Battlestar

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 9, 2010
Boston
MAC

Make sure you have afc2add installed from cydia or rock. SSH into your device or use your favorite USB browser.

1. Navigate to /System/Library/CoreServices/SpringBoard.app
2. Open K48AP.plist in a text editor or a plist editor
3. Under the capabilities area add the following key:

<key>voice-control</key>
<true/>

4. Reboot your iPad and enjoy Voice Control!

Windows

1. For Windows users, you’ll need a software like WINSCP and for Mac you can use Cyberduck.
2. Install OpenSSH on your iPad using Cydia. Open up Cydia and search for it. You’ll have to restart your iPad after that.
3. Now use the following settings to log into your iPad: IP address of your iPad and user name: root and password: alpine and protocol: SCP
4. Navigate to /System/Library/CoreServices/SpringBoard.app
5. Open K48AP.plist in a text editor or a plist editor
6. Under the capabilities area add the following key:

<key>voice-control</key>
<true/>

7. Reboot your iPad and enjoy Voice Control!

virx

macrumors member
Aug 5, 2009
I did it, but I do not see anything new in settings after I respringed in SBSettings. How do I use voice control?

virx

macrumors member
Aug 5, 2009
virx said:
I did it, but I do not see anything new in settings after I respringed in SBSettings. How do I use voice control?

Nevermind, everything works fine. I just did not know how to activate voice control (long home button click).

virx

macrumors member
Aug 5, 2009
DjAmTraX said:
Any way to do it without JB? I really don't have the need to JB.

No, it can not be done without JB. Probably you do have a need to JB :). If you do JB, then the only app you need to do this change is iFile - it let's you see your entire filesystem and edit any text files. It also let's you access any files on SD card and USB flash drive using camera connection kit.

3goldens

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2008
Born NYC Living in CT
Best be careful doing this, it looks like I might have jammed mine up. Perhaps I put the script in wrong place but now its been rebooting for a long time now and probably will have to be restored., so maybe better instruction on exactly where this script should go would be helpful to others.

Sdevante

macrumors 6502
Dec 12, 2008
so maybe better instruction on exactly where this script should go would be helpful to others.

Seriously?

2. Open K48AP.plist in a text editor or a plist editor
3. Under the capabilities area add the following key:

<key>voice-control</key>
<true/>

How can the instructions be more exact?

3goldens

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2008
Born NYC Living in CT
Well, for one thing would that be at the end of the capabilities, or in the beginning!

Needless to say screwing around and making any kind of mistake in this apparently critical file appears to send the unit into an infinite boot cycle which I have seen before and it usually restores itself within 10 minutes or so.

I think because this was the springboard file it is now locked in this loop that has gone on for way longer than 10 minutes so it looks like I will have to restore.

So, to answer your question perhaps a screen shot of the placement of the text would be useful to others so they avoid having to go through what I am going to have to go through right now.

3goldens

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2008
Born NYC Living in CT
Actually now that I have voice control I don't really see the point, it has no controls and is only good for music, no contacts or searching.
it took me over 4 hours to figure out how to get it back in working order after making the editing mistake do for those who really think they need this pointless feature make sure you do it right!

It needs to look exactly like this picture or your in for big time trouble!

Attachments

• iPadVoiceControl.jpg
    iPadVoiceControl.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 199

krizko

macrumors regular
Nov 10, 2009
Actually now that I have voice control I don't really see the point, it has no controls and is only good for music, no contacts or searching.
it took me over 4 hours to figure out how to get it back in working order after making the editing mistake do for those who really think they need this pointless feature make sure you do it right!

Care to divulge how you fixed the problem?

CrAkD

macrumors 68040
Feb 15, 2010
Boston, MA

seriously? cause you screwed it up and have no use for it people should be careful? I did it in 5 minutes and had zero issues. 4 hours? wow.

Sdevante

macrumors 6502
Dec 12, 2008
I should like to point out it is a very useful feature for accessing music if you are, for instance, driving. I much prefer watching where I'm going and saying "Play Snoop Doggy Dogg" instead of veering off the road in search of some gin and juice.

deksta

macrumors newbie
Jun 29, 2010
@ krizko if you have a windows machine lying around download ifunbox. Plug your bricked iPad into the machine and while iTunes see's you ibrick use ifunbox to navigate to where the K48AP.plist is on the iPad (/System/Library/CoreServices/SpringBoard.app) and copy to the desktop. Open in a text editor and either delete the entry you put in the file or make sure it's exactly right. Save the file and copy it back to the 'iHate this machine right now' and overwrite the previous copy. Once it's copied, the iPad will be back to it's normal self almost immediately. Took a while for me to work out the fix but I was super happy when it came back to life. Fun times :)

Messedupmyipad

macrumors newbie
Feb 16, 2011
So.. I totally messed up while trying to change the k48Ap.plist to activate voice control. When I respringed my iPad and somi went back and the file was blank. I was thinking if someone could copy their text here I could start with that. Would that work? Any other suggestions?

Chilean.Miner

macrumors member
Feb 17, 2011

There really is not any point; moreover, it's not worth the risk for the average person trying to do this.

dancolman

macrumors newbie
Apr 17, 2012
no jailbreak

what would happen if I navigated to this file and edited it using a mac app like phonedisk, without a jailbreak.

Would this not work?

Would my ipad die?

sahunt83

macrumors newbie
Aug 13, 2012
J2AP.plist

My iPad has a J2AP.plist. I added the voice tag to that and the voice control interface shows and the disappears quickly after launch. Anyone else have this problem?

I tried a sym link to the old file, that did seem to do anything.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.