Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Melrose

Suspended
Original poster
Dec 12, 2007
Hey guys..

my parents are having some trouble with their 20" iMac, and the Mac support, after trying to troubleshoot, say the last resort software option to fix the problem is to wipe and reinstall the OS.

My question is, dad's also got Windows XP installed, as a separate partition. Do I worry about backing this up as well? I'm thinking yes, obv, to be on the safe side, then: How do you back up a partition not running OSX?

Thanks in advance for your help! :)

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen
As far as I have read in several similar threads, you don't need to back up the Boot Camp partition, but to be on the safe side, you can use WinClone to make an image of the BC partition which you can later use to restore it.

MacHamster68

macrumors 68040
Sep 17, 2009
if you clone it use antivirus programs to make absolute sure ite malware free , windows is catching everything , no need to backup a already infected os i would say use acronis true image
http://www.acronis.com/
and mac support is for products from apple ..and windows is not made by apple

MacHamster68

macrumors 68040
Sep 17, 2009
That's why the OP called Apple, as the problem is concerning Mac OS X, which is made by Apple.

But maybe that was meant sarcastic in some way...

yes you got it ,thats why you need seperate software to backup windows

on the other hand thats why i prefer my windows xp which i use sometimes every half year to be emulated under osx then i just clone ithe entire hdd with CCC job done

this dual boot thing has its drawbacks as you need to know how to handle not only one OS , you need to handle 2 OS seperate

but no matter how the cloning/backup should be done before a problem occurs not after

Stan Mikulenka

macrumors 6502
Nov 20, 2009
Calgary, Canada
Hi,
here is my back-up of the win7 partition with WinClone:

Attachments

• Screen shot 2010-05-12 at 1.12.50 PM.PNG
    Screen shot 2010-05-12 at 1.12.50 PM.PNG
    116.2 KB · Views: 56
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.