Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rkohn12

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 11, 2010
I am currently using an Xserve running Leopard server that is hosting our companies update server. We now have several new Macs that are on Snow Leopard. My question is this; Does Leopard Server download and broadcast Snow Leopard Updates?

I don't believe this is true. I looked at a couple of computers as I was setting them up and went through the Software Update app and saw several updates available. I then switched the computer to point to the Update server for its updates. When I went back into Software Update only a couple of the Updates still appeared. Pretty much all the Core OS X updates were no longer available.

Is there anything I need to do on the xserve to have it download and broadcast the Snow Leopard updates? Or is my only solution to Upgrade the server to Snow Leopard. I would like to not upgrade as we have about 70 users working on it and we are only closed for 12 hours a week.

mbestel

macrumors member
Jan 17, 2010
Hi,

Leopard Server (10.5) does not download Snow Leopard updates.

Be careful though, because I am not sure if Snow Leopard Server gets Leopard updates either.

The is a bunch of configuration files that control the software update service and I have previously changed them to prime a new server from an existing one.

It should be possible - given the right URLs - to get a Leopard server to download and serve Snow Leopard updates.

I am not, however, sure that one server can manage 10.5 and 10.6 updates at the same time.

Good luck!

Cheers,

Mark

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.