Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > Mac OS X Server, Xserve, and Networking

Old May 11, 2010, 02:06 PM   #1
Rkohn12
macrumors newbie

Leopard (10.5) Update Server Hosting Snow Leopard (10.6) Updates

I am currently using an Xserve running Leopard server that is hosting our companies update server. We now have several new Macs that are on Snow Leopard. My question is this; Does Leopard Server download and broadcast Snow Leopard Updates?

I don't believe this is true. I looked at a couple of computers as I was setting them up and went through the Software Update app and saw several updates available. I then switched the computer to point to the Update server for its updates. When I went back into Software Update only a couple of the Updates still appeared. Pretty much all the Core OS X updates were no longer available.

Is there anything I need to do on the xserve to have it download and broadcast the Snow Leopard updates? Or is my only solution to Upgrade the server to Snow Leopard. I would like to not upgrade as we have about 70 users working on it and we are only closed for 12 hours a week.
Rkohn12 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2010, 08:26 AM   #2
mbestel
macrumors member

Hi,

Leopard Server (10.5) does not download Snow Leopard updates.

Be careful though, because I am not sure if Snow Leopard Server gets Leopard updates either.

The is a bunch of configuration files that control the software update service and I have previously changed them to prime a new server from an existing one.

It should be possible - given the right URLs - to get a Leopard server to download and serve Snow Leopard updates.

I am not, however, sure that one server can manage 10.5 and 10.6 updates at the same time.

Good luck!

Cheers,

Mark
mbestel is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > Mac OS X Server, Xserve, and Networking