Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Macintosh Computers

Old Oct 3, 2004, 01:37 PM   #1
mattroberts
macrumors regular

Powerbook Battery issues

I did a quick search of the forum and couldn't find the answer to my question.

MY 11 month old PB battery can't hold a charge that lasts more than 12 minutes. and its been getting progressively worse. I've tried nearly everything to force it to fully charge from apples suggested fully discharge and recharge to the shift-option-apple-power at startup. none of these have had any discernible effect. (even after multiple attempts)

I'm still under the 12 month warranty but does it include batteries? I'm out of luck as of October 29 - so should i bother giving apple a call? any advice is appreciated.

cheers
m
Old Oct 3, 2004, 01:49 PM   #2
cluthz
macrumors 68040

Send a message via MSN to cluthz
If you have gone thru several calibrations of the battery and it still don't hold charges, call apple.

Be sure you have read this:
http://www.apple.com/batteries/notebooks.html
And done this:
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=86284
cluthz is offline   0
Old Oct 3, 2004, 01:52 PM   #3
Elan0204
macrumors 65816

Batteries are covered under the warranty. I got mine replaced for free on my PowerBook. I'd get a new battery as soon as possible, so just in case your problem is actually not battery related, you can have your PowerBook repaired before your warranty ends.

To learn more about Utada, check out my iMix.
Elan0204 is offline   0
Old Oct 3, 2004, 03:10 PM   #4
virividox
macrumors 68040

Location: Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbara - Boston (ugh hate not knowing where to call home)
there is a battery recall that apple has initiated, the details of which are on the apple website, if your apple computer is afftected by it, you may get a free replacement battery

i think it affects 15' alu pbs, the serial numbers are given, so check it out
Old Oct 3, 2004, 04:16 PM   #5
yoda13
macrumors 65816

My battery lasted a couple of weeks over a year on my PB, before I had to replace it. There was another thread here somewhere where people were talking about the short life of their batteries on the aluminum powerbooks. It should be noted that some of these batteries were defective and Apple replaced them, as they should yours in my opinion, however, these new batteries do not last much longer than a year in my opinion, based on my experience. Hopefully, I am just the victim of a anomoloy, but that has been my experience.
Old Oct 3, 2004, 04:43 PM   #6
titaniumducky
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattroberts
I did a quick search of the forum and couldn't find the answer to my question.

MY 11 month old PB battery can't hold a charge that lasts more than 12 minutes. and its been getting progressively worse. I've tried nearly everything to force it to fully charge from apples suggested fully discharge and recharge to the shift-option-apple-power at startup. none of these have had any discernible effect. (even after multiple attempts)

I'm still under the 12 month warranty but does it include batteries? I'm out of luck as of October 29 - so should i bother giving apple a call? any advice is appreciated.

cheers
m
That's definitely a defective battery. Apple covers batteries; they just don't cover a slight decrease over a long period (because that's normal). Dropping to 12 minutes is a serious problem and Apple will DEFINITELY replace it for you. Go! Quick, before the warranty runs out!

Go Nintendo! It's the Apple of video games!
titaniumducky is offline   0
Old Oct 3, 2004, 07:26 PM   #7
jabbadeznuts
macrumors newbie

I had the exact problem, but my battery would last for about ~35 minutes before it just completely shut off. I called apple and they told me to reset the "fuel meter" and try again. I did that and called back the same day. They shipped me a battery on a friday and it got here on Monday.
jabbadeznuts is offline   0
Old Oct 5, 2004, 01:00 PM   #8
mattroberts
macrumors regular

Angry

So i called apple Canada. They sent me to an authorized dealer who told me that the battery is no good, Which i already knew. So I called apple back and they told me my Battery IS NOT COVERED under my one year protection as it is a consumable part and I'm out of luck! What gives?
Old Oct 5, 2004, 02:17 PM   #9
Elan0204
macrumors 65816

Maybe the policy of Apple Canada is different from the U.S. policy, or you just got a misinformed AppleCare rep.

I would try calling again and talking to someone else.

To learn more about Utada, check out my iMix.
Elan0204 is offline   0
Old Oct 5, 2004, 03:11 PM   #10
Apmonia
macrumors regular

Send a message via AIM to Apmonia
Quote:
So i called apple Canada. They sent me to an authorized dealer who told me that the battery is no good, Which i already knew. So I called apple back and they told me my Battery IS NOT COVERED under my one year protection as it is a consumable part and I'm out of luck! What gives?
I had the same problem with my battery and with Apple phone support. My advice: take in to any Apple Store. When my second battery (I purchased another one when the AppleCare rep told me they weren't covered) died, I took it into the local Apple Store and the Apple Genius gave me a new battery on the spot. How far away are you from an Apple Store? It you aren't that far away, that would be my suggestion.

Apmonia
Apmonia is offline   0
Old Oct 5, 2004, 06:04 PM   #11
superbovine
macrumors 68030

I had the same exact problem a few weeks ago under the 12 month warranty. they replaced my battery.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthre...hlight=battery

Here is exactly what i told the techie.

I have checked the website
http://www.apple.com/batteries/notebooks.html
reset the PRAM
reset the battery by running my PB until it goes to sleep then bringing it to a full charge.
i have checked the capacity of my battery. use itattle to do this. http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/24263
a decent capacity is between 3500 - 4500

They ask me to send back the battery, mine was lating about 20 minutes when i sent it back.

You should check all that stuff first.
superbovine is offline   0
Old Oct 5, 2004, 10:58 PM   #12
mattroberts
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by superbovine
a decent capacity is between 3500 - 4500
Mine is 652. I called apple again and they said unless its was the Powerbooks fault I'm not getting a replaced battery. I can't believe that normal usage has caused my battery to loose all ability to hold a charge.

I've checked my Warranty and sure enough it does not cover the battery's so what the heck good is a warranty on a portable computer if they don't cover the battery which right now gives my 9 minutes of usage?

Should i just keep calling?
m
Old Oct 6, 2004, 12:18 AM   #13
mattroberts
macrumors regular

its now 396. This is insane.
Old Oct 6, 2004, 12:39 AM   #14
superbovine
macrumors 68030

Quote:
its now 396. This is insane.
that sucks...a new battery is $129. i guess i just got a sympathetic tech.
superbovine is offline   0

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Macintosh Computers