Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Derkatwork

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 8, 2010
Milwaukee
I'm unsure on this as the internet has run 'tests' and I have seen some who say VM is faster while others say that Parallels is faster. Can I get some feedback from the users? I use a macbook pro with 4 GB ram and 2.53 GHz. My primary purpose is the old video games I used before my macbook. Which one works faster and is more stable?

Chrysaor

macrumors 6502
May 16, 2006
I was a Fusion 3 user, recently tried Parallels 5 and difference is amazing. In Windows 7, 3D performance increased significantly and PD 5 even supports 3D in Linux OS.

saschke

macrumors 6502
Feb 2, 2008
San Francisco, CA
I've used Fusion 3 for a while but had tried Parallels 5 after getting my new Macbook Pro and I have to say it's faster and neater, too. Get Parallels.

yensteel

macrumors regular
Aug 17, 2009
I agree with the other two. Despite what people have said in other threads, Parallels 5 is actually quite stable. I never had any problems with the program.

Parallels 5 is definitely faster than Vmware Fusion 3, at least in benchmarks. I can't subjectively compare it with Vmware Fusion 3 because I've never used it.

Zortrium

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2003
Parallels for raw speed. VMware for rock-solid stability. I also think the Parallels interface is a confusing mess, whereas VMware's is intuitive and clear. If you care about 3D performance, however, Parallels is probably the best choice. I don't really run 3D apps in VMs, and I'm a regular VMware Fusion 3 user.

fhall1

macrumors 68040
Dec 18, 2007
(Central) NY State of mind
I can't get Parallels to boot in anything other than safe mode...otherwise it thinks windows is running, but all I get is a black box. I suspect it's due to the Displaylink drivers I use for a 7" USB LCD monitor I have attached to my iMac since Parallels used to work. However, disconnecting the monitor and re-installing Windows7 still yields the same results.

Fusion, on the other hand, is working fine, so I've given up on Parallels.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
First off do a search, since this question has been asked multiple times.

As for my opinions.
I've used both and both have advantages/disadvantages.

Parallels:
  • Faster then vmware
  • Frequent updates (that are typically buggy)
  • has stability issues
  • generally will add a feature before vmware but those features may not work for a couple updates until parallels shakes the bugs out
  • poor customer support

VMware:
  • Good performance
  • Less frequent updates, but those updates are very stable and enhance Existing features without impacting stability
  • Little to none stability issues, very solid
  • New features are added more methodically, i.e., added without bugs
  • excellent customer support

Overall, I found parallels to be too problematic, giving my BSODs and even kernel panics. VMware has a great reputation for producing solid virtualization applications and fusion does not disappoint. Backed up by vmware's great customer suppport, it was a no brainer for me.

LAS.mac

macrumors 6502
May 6, 2009
Mexico
I've been Parallels user since v. 3. Using v. 4 since roughly 1 year, I recently upgraded to 5. I mainly use Excel 2003 for some macros I use for work that do not run in any other Excel. Well, everything was working fine up to version 4, but with 5 Excel started crashing. So I had to uninstall Parallels 5, install back v. 4. What's bother me is that I spent 50 bucks for an upgrade I'm not going to use. And that Parallels 4 keeps telling me to upgrade to 5...

fhall1

macrumors 68040
Dec 18, 2007
(Central) NY State of mind
....oh...and Parallels support forums suck. Even after you register, all posts are not posted until a moderator approves them. I've had several that the mods must have "forgotten" about because they never showed up until the third time I tried to post them.

macrazee

macrumors regular
Jan 4, 2009
VMWare Fusion, by a country mile. 3D performance hat may go to Parallels but for everything else (and rock-solid stability) Fusion is the way to go.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.