Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

infobleep

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 10, 2008
Hi there

How long would it take to backup 900GB of data doing a full back-up using TimeMachine and my MacBook? My MacBook being a 2009 model with 2.13 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo and 4GB 800 MHz DDR2 SDRAM.

I have:
1 x MacBook 160GB drive
1 x Imoega minimax 500GB drive (firewire or USB 2 connection possible)
1 x Seagate 320GB drive (USB 2 only connection)

I have a 400 firewire port in my MacBook in addition to 2 USB sockets, as well as fireWire hub with power supply, should I wish to run 2 or more firewire devices at once, into the 400 firewire port.

My current backup drive is a Samsung USB2 1TB drive but for reasons that will hopefully become obvious below, I will need to purchase a new drive. I think a 1.5TB or 2TB would be fine and I guess a 400 firewire port is still better than USB2, even though it's only 400. However I'm not sure about the time issue.

I need to run regular full backups so that my incremental or differential backups do not get too vast. However I also don't wish to have my computer in-accessible for long periods of time because it has to run a full back up. I can run backups at night but on my old PC they could take 14 hours or more and then that was only 500GB of data being backed up. I had a look through the forums but couldn't find much on time taken for backing up. I will now explain my reasons for asking this. It is also a warning to anyone else who is currently doing something similar.

I recently had an MFT [master file table] and MFT mirror corrupt on my Iomega 500GB hard drive. However I think the boot sector is still working and I will run tests later on. The drive was formatted to NTFS, as until recently I was PC only.

I had been running a backup system which backed up to a 1TB Samsung USB2 hard drive. The system I used was based on creating incremental backups with the full back up quite sometime in the past. This way I saved on disc space and could run the backup system longer before I had to restart it again. I was using the windows based Cobian backup Black Moon to do the job because it was free and it worked well for recovering the occasionaly accidentally deleted or corrupt file.

However now I need to put back the whole system to the state it was before the failure and I have hit a problem. I have lots of incremental backups and none of which are linked together. So by restoring each incremental in date order, I may end up with files, which changed their name, also existing under their previous name or files I deleted being added. This will result in duplication.

A piece of software, Getdataback, can recover my files as I've run a demo of it and it showed the file system. I was also able to view the contents files, e.g. viewing photos. Whilst restoring will help for now, it isn't a good long term solution and I really need to create full backups much more regularly. Which is why I am wondering how long it would take.

Kings regards

Infobleep

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen
Lets assume 25MB/s is the constant read and write speed during the backup:

900GB = 900.000 MB (simplified)

900.000 MB / 25 MB/s = 36.000 s = 600 min / 10 h

So under ideal circumstances it should take 10 hours, but it may take 12 to 20 hours if there are many, many small files.

infobleep

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 10, 2008
Thank you for your replies. Is there anyway to speed up the process with additional hardware or different devices?

Regards

Infobleep

mobilehaathi

macrumors G3
Aug 19, 2008
The Anthropocene
You can attempt a mind meld, using yourself as a conduit for the data. It is a somewhat dangerous method of transfer, but you'll be able to transfer at speeds > 100GB/s.

bigdaddyp

macrumors regular
Aug 19, 2008
This is what I do but keep in mind your mileage may vary.

I use Timemachine to backup the os and include my documents and such.
I exclude the files from Transmission (bittorrent client) because that seems to cause problems.
I also exclude my media files because they are over 1 1/2 terrabytes in size. I use a seperate back up procedure for those.
That makes the backups much simpler and quote a bit faster and easier to restore.

infobleep

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 10, 2008
mobilehaathi, only 100gb/s? Not fast enough. Ha-ha

Seriously though I will just have to stick to hard drives and allow the time for backing up. I did wonder about tape drives but that's probably going to far for a home user and more expensive to run than hard drives.

I have a lot of AVI video on my hard drive for videos I am working on. Everytime I do a full backup these need to be backed up as well, which is why it takes so long. Even my photo collection isn't small and takes time.

Which is why I was just doing incremental backups for so long after the full backup.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.