Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook

Old May 12, 2010, 12:42 PM   #1
olly1981
macrumors newbie

Macbook will not connect to Wep Network

Please Please help as I will soon have no hair left!

Having taken delivering of a nice shiny new 2010 15" MacBook Pro, I decided to be nice and donate my old 2007 White MacBook to my girlfriend.

I'm currently trying to connect the macbook to the network at her house. The router is a D-Link DSL-G624T and the settings are as follows:

SSID: DLINK_WIRELESS
Channel: 6
Security: Wep 64bit
Password: 0123456789

I cannot get the macbook to connect to this at all. I know wep is useless security and have tried to change the router to WPA but it overrides the settings back to WEP everytime. The macbook connects fine when the Wep is turned off, but gives itself a self assigned IP when using the wep.

Their is a windows 7 laptop at the house that connects fine with the above settings. I have tried prefixing the password with $ and 0x as suggested in some forums but no joy?

Any network gurus out they want to save my sanity??

Many Thanks
olly1981 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2010, 02:25 PM   #2
AshMan
macrumors regular

I would write down the router settings. Reset to factory defaults. Then try to set it back up with wpa. Mac may not connect to wep unless it is 128 bit. Not 64 bit security.

Could also try new router firmware
AshMan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2010, 09:32 AM   #3
olly1981
macrumors newbie

I have resigned myself that I might have to do that but can anyone confirm that the mac will definitely not connect to a 64 bit wep network?

Thanks
olly1981 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2010, 12:57 PM   #4
pricej636
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by olly1981 View Post
I have resigned myself that I might have to do that but can anyone confirm that the mac will definitely not connect to a 64 bit wep network?

Thanks
Its a case by case basis. Ive had trouble connecting to certain routers or routers with certain security enabled, and been able to connect to other routers with the same security. Its all how the computer decides to talk to the specific router, mac or PC.
pricej636 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2011, 10:57 AM   #5
fmfmedic
macrumors newbie

Angry Same problem

I'm using a Netgear WMR2000 router on an all wireless network. Three PC's, one Windows laptop, two Xbox 360's and one 2007 white Macbook running OSX 10.4.11 (Tiger). Not all are on the network at the same time, rarely more than three at a time. All except the Macbook connect faultlessly, the Macbook has not connected since I initiated WEP 128 bit security. (WEP is useless, I know, but it's better than nothing and one of the Xbox's cannot use WPA.) The macbook connects easily with a cable and wirelessly with all security disabled.

All software is up to date.

I have tried entering the password, and all I get is that it is invalid, I've tried all the tricks I've found on the net; $ then password, 26 bit HEX with and without $ before, ASCII. Always same result, either invalid password or a greyed out 'continue'.

Tried WPA also, with same result. I finally set up a guest network with no security and it connects easily, but that ties up my bandwidth if anybody else hooks in, and I don't like it.

This macbook is virtually unused because of this problem. I like the macbook and would use it if I could get it to work on the network.

What is going on? How can I fix it?
fmfmedic is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook