Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 12, 2010, 02:03 PM   #1
patp
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
attach file when composing email?

Love my iPad but am thinking that not being able to attach a file when you're composing a message is kind of silly?

possible it could be something that OS4 takes care of?

I understand I can attach a file when I'm in a app like photos etc. But sometimes your replying to or composing a message and need to attach a saved document or picture.
patp is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2010, 02:25 PM   #2
Peter Harrison
macrumors 6502a
 
Peter Harrison's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by patp View Post
Love my iPad but am thinking that not being able to attach a file when you're composing a message is kind of silly?

possible it could be something that OS4 takes care of?

I understand I can attach a file when I'm in a app like photos etc. But sometimes your replying to or composing a message and need to attach a saved document or picture.
If it's an image, just copy/paste. You're replying, then realise you need to add a pic. Exit, copy the pic, go back to the email and paste it in. Plus, attaching via the Photos app actually makes the image smaller. Copy/paste uses the full resolution.
__________________
About Me
Twitter (English)
Peter Harrison is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2010, 02:27 PM   #3
Stealthipad
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
I think that Apple will have to give us the ability to store and file documents on the iPad first!

I want to be able to carry my bids with me on the iPad. This is my only complaint and would make my iPad useful in the filed.

We need the ability to have folders to store these files. Oh, and I guess while I am dreaming, I want a MS Office App
Stealthipad is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2010, 02:48 PM   #4
wgary
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealthipad View Post
I think that Apple will have to give us the ability to store and file documents on the iPad first!

I want to be able to carry my bids with me on the iPad. This is my only complaint and would make my iPad useful in the filed.

We need the ability to have folders to store these files. Oh, and I guess while I am dreaming, I want a MS Office App
It usually works best to know what you want to attach first and then originate the email from within the source app -- Pages, Keynote, GoodReader, etc. Sometimes you can copy paste/paste, but i have found that tends not to come through as a usable file, like keynote will give you a jpeg of the slide, not a keynote file. Definitely a limitation.
wgary is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2010, 03:11 PM   #5
ipadfanatic
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: May 2010
The most likely reason for this is allowing any type of attachment could open the door for nasty little viruses. Code that would execute just by selecting the file.
ipadfanatic is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2010, 03:33 PM   #6
medicscott
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: san diego
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealthipad View Post
I think that Apple will have to give us the ability to store and file documents on the iPad first!

I want to be able to carry my bids with me on the iPad. This is my only complaint and would make my iPad useful in the filed.

We need the ability to have folders to store these files. Oh, and I guess while I am dreaming, I want a MS Office App
check into the 'dropbox' app
medicscott is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2010, 03:34 PM   #7
bjobes
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Goodreader works perfect for emailing documents.
bjobes is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2011, 09:10 AM   #8
gkhndes
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Hi,
I bought an iPad and sending e-mails with multiple attachments is very essential for me, but obviously you can't do it on iPad or any iOS device.

Butt!!! I found a solution. For example I have to send my cv and cover letter to many people and firstly I sent the mail with 2 attachments to my mail address from a computer ! Then I opened the mail on iPad. Now I just forward the email to different emails.

Great.
gkhndes is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2011, 11:17 AM   #9
Mac.World
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: In front of uranus
Quote:
Originally Posted by gkhndes View Post
Hi,
I bought an iPad and sending e-mails with multiple attachments is very essential for me, but obviously you can't do it on iPad or any iOS device.
This is incorrect.

As mentioned above, you can send any attachment via Dropbox to anyone.


Of course if you jailbreak your device, you can add attachments with ease from within the built in mail app. I love having my idevices jailbroken.
Mac.World is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2011, 11:21 AM   #10
jsh1120
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac.World View Post
Of course if you jailbreak your device, you can add attachments with ease from within the built in mail app. I love having my idevices jailbroken.

Worth noting, of course, that to have an (untethered) jailbroken iPad requires being at least four OS updates behind the current 5.0.1 version. But if you're willing to do that the iPad "just works." Otherwise, not so much.
jsh1120 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2011, 11:47 AM   #11
Mac.World
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: In front of uranus
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsh1120 View Post
Worth noting, of course, that to have an (untethered) jailbroken iPad requires being at least four OS updates behind the current 5.0.1 version. But if you're willing to do that the iPad "just works." Otherwise, not so much.
I agree that not being able to add attachments via the built in email app is a serious omission by Apple!

But, as I said, you can email any attachment you like via Dropbox and that does not require a jailbreak.


Of note, the Chronic dev team posted last night about an iOS 5 untethered jailbreak.
Mac.World is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2011, 11:53 AM   #12
Mdifilm
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Cleveland
Quote:
Originally Posted by patp View Post
Love my iPad but am thinking that not being able to attach a file when you're composing a message is kind of silly?

possible it could be something that OS4 takes care of?

I understand I can attach a file when I'm in a app like photos etc. But sometimes your replying to or composing a message and need to attach a saved document or picture.
The way I would do it is copy the email address of the person I need to email a doc to and then go to the document to go or good reader app and email the doc to the person... The only thing that you wouldn't have is the replies to be attached...

Here is a how to with good reader. http://www.itjungles.com/ipad-tips/i...chment-on-ipad

Last edited by Mdifilm; Nov 27, 2011 at 11:59 AM.
Mdifilm is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2011, 04:30 PM   #13
jsh1120
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac.World View Post
I agree that not being able to add attachments via the built in email app is a serious omission by Apple!

But, as I said, you can email any attachment you like via Dropbox and that does not require a jailbreak.


Of note, the Chronic dev team posted last night about an iOS 5 untethered jailbreak.
It's not an "omission." It's an inherent characteristic of the closed app architecture Apple uses. Third party apps such as Dropbox may pass data to the Apple email app but the email app cannot access attachments stored with other apps. There are justifications for Apple's approach, primarily in terms of reducing the likelihood that viruses and malware can infect the operating system. But the architecture itself imposes a number of inconvenient workarounds such as this.

As for an untethered jailbreak. Well, let's just say the news is something less than earth shaking.

http://appadvice.com/appnn/2011/11/o...hone-4s-unlock
jsh1120 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2012, 12:18 AM   #14
marcohdzm
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
it's not like this

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac.World View Post
This is incorrect.

As mentioned above, you can send any attachment via Dropbox to anyone.


Of course if you jailbreak your device, you can add attachments with ease from within the built in mail app. I love having my idevices jailbroken.
With Dropbox you don't really send anything, That's not how Dropbox works. You just share it.
marcohdzm is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2012, 06:30 AM   #15
labeed
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
open in a broswer

True .. it is silly to not have the "attach" button while you compose emails. Being a Graphic Designer I deal with attachments in almost all my emails.

The answer to this is to open your email from a browser. You will have all your buttons and features that you re used to!
labeed is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2012, 10:16 AM   #16
scaredpoet
macrumors 603
 
scaredpoet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by labeed View Post
True .. it is silly to not have the "attach" button while you compose emails. Being a Graphic Designer I deal with attachments in almost all my emails.

The answer to this is to open your email from a browser. You will have all your buttons and features that you re used to!
...and then, where are you going to attach the files from?
__________________
If you're not a clairvoyant, then you shouldn't be speaking for a dead guy.
I'm here to talk about Apple stuff, and related tech stuff. Your political beliefs? I really couldn't care less about.
scaredpoet is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2012, 01:10 PM   #17
Anti-Lucifer
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
You can insert a picture or video just by tapping on the email body. Is included in ios6.

Last edited by Anti-Lucifer; Aug 14, 2012 at 01:17 PM.
Anti-Lucifer is offline   1 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
composing email in Outlook 2011 redshoes75 Mac Applications and Mac App Store 0 Feb 7, 2014 11:45 PM
iPhone: Attach to email BullittMustang Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks 10 Jan 15, 2014 07:46 PM
Email Composing Issue with iOS 7 Betas briankeith513 iOS 7 4 Aug 13, 2013 11:46 AM
How to attach email message to photos pennshaq Mac Basics and Help 1 Jun 1, 2013 03:08 PM
How to attach video to email ? interinfo iPad 0 Aug 29, 2012 04:19 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:19 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC