Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Old May 12, 2010, 02:03 PM   #1
patp

attach file when composing email?

Love my iPad but am thinking that not being able to attach a file when you're composing a message is kind of silly?

possible it could be something that OS4 takes care of?

I understand I can attach a file when I'm in a app like photos etc. But sometimes your replying to or composing a message and need to attach a saved document or picture.
patp is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2010, 02:25 PM   #2
Peter Harrison
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by patp View Post
Love my iPad but am thinking that not being able to attach a file when you're composing a message is kind of silly?

I understand I can attach a file when I'm in a app like photos etc. But sometimes your replying to or composing a message and need to attach a saved document or picture.
If it's an image, just copy/paste. You're replying, then realise you need to add a pic. Exit, copy the pic, go back to the email and paste it in. Plus, attaching via the Photos app actually makes the image smaller. Copy/paste uses the full resolution.
Old May 12, 2010, 02:27 PM   #3
Stealthipad
Banned

I think that Apple will have to give us the ability to store and file documents on the iPad first!

I want to be able to carry my bids with me on the iPad. This is my only complaint and would make my iPad useful in the filed.

We need the ability to have folders to store these files. Oh, and I guess while I am dreaming, I want a MS Office App
Stealthipad is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2010, 02:48 PM   #4
wgary
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealthipad View Post
I think that Apple will have to give us the ability to store and file documents on the iPad first!

I want to be able to carry my bids with me on the iPad. This is my only complaint and would make my iPad useful in the filed.

We need the ability to have folders to store these files. Oh, and I guess while I am dreaming, I want a MS Office App
It usually works best to know what you want to attach first and then originate the email from within the source app -- Pages, Keynote, GoodReader, etc. Sometimes you can copy paste/paste, but i have found that tends not to come through as a usable file, like keynote will give you a jpeg of the slide, not a keynote file. Definitely a limitation.
wgary is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2010, 03:11 PM   #5
ipadfanatic
macrumors newbie

The most likely reason for this is allowing any type of attachment could open the door for nasty little viruses. Code that would execute just by selecting the file.
ipadfanatic is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2010, 03:33 PM   #6
medicscott
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealthipad View Post

check into the 'dropbox' app
medicscott is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2010, 03:34 PM   #7
bjobes
macrumors regular

Goodreader works perfect for emailing documents.
bjobes is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2011, 09:10 AM   #8
gkhndes
macrumors member

Hi,
I bought an iPad and sending e-mails with multiple attachments is very essential for me, but obviously you can't do it on iPad or any iOS device.

Butt!!! I found a solution. For example I have to send my cv and cover letter to many people and firstly I sent the mail with 2 attachments to my mail address from a computer ! Then I opened the mail on iPad. Now I just forward the email to different emails.

Great.
gkhndes is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2011, 11:17 AM   #9
Mac.World
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkhndes View Post
Hi,
I bought an iPad and sending e-mails with multiple attachments is very essential for me, but obviously you can't do it on iPad or any iOS device.
This is incorrect.

As mentioned above, you can send any attachment via Dropbox to anyone.

Of course if you jailbreak your device, you can add attachments with ease from within the built in mail app. I love having my idevices jailbroken.
Mac.World is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2011, 11:21 AM   #10
jsh1120
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac.World View Post
Of course if you jailbreak your device, you can add attachments with ease from within the built in mail app. I love having my idevices jailbroken.

Worth noting, of course, that to have an (untethered) jailbroken iPad requires being at least four OS updates behind the current 5.0.1 version. But if you're willing to do that the iPad "just works." Otherwise, not so much.
jsh1120 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2011, 11:47 AM   #11
Mac.World
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsh1120 View Post
Worth noting, of course, that to have an (untethered) jailbroken iPad requires being at least four OS updates behind the current 5.0.1 version. But if you're willing to do that the iPad "just works." Otherwise, not so much.
I agree that not being able to add attachments via the built in email app is a serious omission by Apple!

But, as I said, you can email any attachment you like via Dropbox and that does not require a jailbreak.

Of note, the Chronic dev team posted last night about an iOS 5 untethered jailbreak.
Mac.World is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2011, 11:53 AM   #12
Mdifilm
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by patp View Post

The way I would do it is copy the email address of the person I need to email a doc to and then go to the document to go or good reader app and email the doc to the person... The only thing that you wouldn't have is the replies to be attached...

Here is a how to with good reader. http://www.itjungles.com/ipad-tips/i...chment-on-ipad

Last edited by Mdifilm; Nov 27, 2011 at 11:59 AM.
Mdifilm is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2011, 04:30 PM   #13
jsh1120
macrumors 65816

Quote:
I agree that not being able to add attachments via the built in email app is a serious omission by Apple!

But, as I said, you can email any attachment you like via Dropbox and that does not require a jailbreak.

Of note, the Chronic dev team posted last night about an iOS 5 untethered jailbreak.
It's not an "omission." It's an inherent characteristic of the closed app architecture Apple uses. Third party apps such as Dropbox may pass data to the Apple email app but the email app cannot access attachments stored with other apps. There are justifications for Apple's approach, primarily in terms of reducing the likelihood that viruses and malware can infect the operating system. But the architecture itself imposes a number of inconvenient workarounds such as this.

As for an untethered jailbreak. Well, let's just say the news is something less than earth shaking.

http://appadvice.com/appnn/2011/11/o...hone-4s-unlock
jsh1120 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2012, 12:18 AM   #14
marcohdzm
macrumors newbie

it's not like this

Quote:
This is incorrect.

As mentioned above, you can send any attachment via Dropbox to anyone.

With Dropbox you don't really send anything, That's not how Dropbox works. You just share it.
marcohdzm is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2012, 06:30 AM   #15
labeed
macrumors newbie

open in a broswer

True .. it is silly to not have the "attach" button while you compose emails. Being a Graphic Designer I deal with attachments in almost all my emails.

The answer to this is to open your email from a browser. You will have all your buttons and features that you re used to!
labeed is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2012, 10:16 AM   #16
scaredpoet
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by labeed View Post
True .. it is silly to not have the "attach" button while you compose emails. Being a Graphic Designer I deal with attachments in almost all my emails.

The answer to this is to open your email from a browser. You will have all your buttons and features that you re used to!
...and then, where are you going to attach the files from?
Old Aug 14, 2012, 01:10 PM   #17
Anti-Lucifer
Banned

You can insert a picture or video just by tapping on the email body. Is included in ios6.

Last edited by Anti-Lucifer; Aug 14, 2012 at 01:17 PM.
Anti-Lucifer is offline   1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad