Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 12, 2010, 04:41 PM   #1
djrobsd
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: May 2008
Converting PDF ebooks to iBooks epub

I'm not sure if this is considered a "hack" but I would say it's hacking around Apples system to be able to view non iBooks books inside of iBooks... But I know Apple kind of allowed for this by design.

Anyway, I've been downloading PDF files of books that are not yet available in the iBook store (wow you'd be AMAZED at how many books are on Kindle but not on ibooks!!!) and I convert them with a program called Calibre. It's pretty simple to use, but there are a LOT of options.

The only option I've selected thus far is under "outbook profile", I select "iPad".

Unfortunately, I have yet to find a book that turned out good. The page breaks are wrong, one of the books I converted every other page is blank, and of course the table of contents doesn't work (i'm assuming that won't work since PDFS usually don't have them!) ...

Just curious if Calibre is the best program for doing this, and also if there are some setting changes I can look for to help the book convert more accurately (i.e. making sure the page breaks are in the right place every time and the text is not garbled, etc).

Let me know your thoughts
djrobsd is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2010, 04:49 PM   #2
Night Spring
macrumors G3
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Converting PDF to other formats almost never works well no matter what conversion program you use. Kindle books, on the other hand, turn out almost always perfectly into ipub once the DRM has been removed. I think I found out how by googling something like "kindle, drm, remove."
Night Spring is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2010, 04:50 PM   #3
California King
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
As far as I know, that's the best option right now
California King is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2010, 07:44 PM   #4
jodorowsky00
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by djrobsd View Post
I'm not sure if this is considered a "hack" but I would say it's hacking around Apples system to be able to view non iBooks books inside of iBooks... But I know Apple kind of allowed for this by design.

Anyway, I've been downloading PDF files of books that are not yet available in the iBook store (wow you'd be AMAZED at how many books are on Kindle but not on ibooks!!!) and I convert them with a program called Calibre. It's pretty simple to use, but there are a LOT of options.

The only option I've selected thus far is under "outbook profile", I select "iPad".

Unfortunately, I have yet to find a book that turned out good. The page breaks are wrong, one of the books I converted every other page is blank, and of course the table of contents doesn't work (i'm assuming that won't work since PDFS usually don't have them!) ...

Just curious if Calibre is the best program for doing this, and also if there are some setting changes I can look for to help the book convert more accurately (i.e. making sure the page breaks are in the right place every time and the text is not garbled, etc).

Let me know your thoughts
why dont you just a pdf reader? what does ibooks have thats so must use.
jodorowsky00 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2010, 08:01 PM   #5
ngenerator
macrumors 68000
 
ngenerator's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: USG Ishimura
Spend the $1 on GoodReader and enjoy.
__________________
4 // Itchy. Tasty.
ngenerator is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2010, 08:17 PM   #6
gwynne
macrumors 65816
 
gwynne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
What kind of books are these that the source is in PDF? PDF conversion is always troublesome.
gwynne is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2010, 11:49 PM   #7
Full of Win
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Ask Apple
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPad; U; CPU OS 3_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/531.21.10 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.4 Mobile/7B367 Safari/531.21.10)

The problem with the program is that it cannot handle multiple column PDF files, which are the typical format of the scientific journals I read and would want to convert to epub. What can I say, it's free, so it's more of an observation and not a complaint. Would love a program that could do that , I'd pay good money, very very good money to have the option to read my journals in iBook.

Last edited by Full of Win; May 12, 2010 at 11:50 PM.
Full of Win is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2010, 12:04 AM   #8
dadeef
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Use calibre
dadeef is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2010, 12:34 AM   #9
jodorowsky00
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Full of Win View Post
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPad; U; CPU OS 3_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/531.21.10 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.4 Mobile/7B367 Safari/531.21.10)

The problem with the program is that it cannot handle multiple column PDF files, which are the typical format of the scientific journals I read and would want to convert to epub. What can I say, it's free, so it's more of an observation and not a complaint. Would love a program that could do that , I'd pay good money, very very good money to have the option to read my journals in iBook.
At least to me Pdf is a more rich format than epub, could you explain a bit more what you mean by can not handel multiple column pdf?
jodorowsky00 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2010, 03:21 PM   #10
GizmoDVD
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: SoCal
Quote:
Originally Posted by ngenerator View Post
Spend the $1 on GoodReader and enjoy.
Problem is, I can't turn a page. It scrolls only up/down which is a bit wonky. I like iBook/Kindle and would love to convert some PDF files into one of those forms.
__________________
Mac Mini 2012 - 27 TB/23 ACD, Phone 5s, iPad Air, iPad Mini Retina
GizmoDVD is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2010, 03:43 PM   #11
ngenerator
macrumors 68000
 
ngenerator's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: USG Ishimura
Quote:
Originally Posted by GizmoDVD View Post
Problem is, I can't turn a page. It scrolls only up/down which is a bit wonky. I like iBook/Kindle and would love to convert some PDF files into one of those forms.
Good call (I guess, if that's really what's holding you back). I'm perfectly content with just tapping (not dragging vertically) on the bottom 1/2 of the screen to turn a page I wouldn't be surprised if they eventually update it with that option, but it's sooooo worth the dollar.

*and no, I'm not the dev or a friend thereof. it just really is that awesome of an app
__________________
4 // Itchy. Tasty.
ngenerator is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2010, 04:15 PM   #12
jodorowsky00
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by GizmoDVD View Post
Problem is, I can't turn a page. It scrolls only up/down which is a bit wonky. I like iBook/Kindle and would love to convert some PDF files into one of those forms.
Try cloud readers it's free.
jodorowsky00 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2010, 04:42 PM   #13
BergerFan
macrumors 68020
 
BergerFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: London, UK.
It would be good, if you could also choose to view your photo albums in iBook style as well.
__________________
iPhone 6 Plus(soon): (64GB Space Grey) - iPad Air: (32GB Wi-Fi Space Grey)
Retina MacBook Pro(2012): (2.7GHz i7 - 16GB RAM - 512GB SSD)
BergerFan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2010, 10:11 PM   #14
ScrewTheDaisies
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
I have good luck with PDFs if I convert them to HTML first. I have Acrobat, so I can do it right from there, but Adobe has an free online converter, too, at http://www.adobe.com/products/acroba...linetools.html. As long as the PDF wasn't made from images, converting it to HTML usually fixes the strange lines breaks. I had one file that was formatted with two columns, and it converted that just fine, too.

Once you have an HTML file, use Calibre to convert it to epub.

Good luck!
ScrewTheDaisies is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2010, 11:44 PM   #15
jodorowsky00
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrewTheDaisies View Post
I have good luck with PDFs if I convert them to HTML first. I have Acrobat, so I can do it right from there, but Adobe has an free online converter, too, at http://www.adobe.com/products/acroba...linetools.html. As long as the PDF wasn't made from images, converting it to HTML usually fixes the strange lines breaks. I had one file that was formatted with two columns, and it converted that just fine, too.

Once you have an HTML file, use Calibre to convert it to epub.

Good luck!

wow , every time you download a PDF you do that, wow and what are the benefits of iBooks, seems you have the patience of a saint.
jodorowsky00 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2010, 01:30 AM   #16
rmm1
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: May 2010
I like iBooks with its Dictionary feature.

I use iPDF for my PDFs on the ipad but it does not allow you to search on words but it displays images.

I used Calibre but it would not convert images from PDF to ePUB. The only program that seems to do this is one from ANYBIZSOFT. But I was wondeing of there was a free program that works as well as the one from ANYBIZSOFT.
rmm1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2010, 06:06 AM   #17
ScrewTheDaisies
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by jodorowsky00 View Post
wow , every time you download a PDF you do that, wow and what are the benefits of iBooks, seems you have the patience of a saint.
It's, like, a few clicks of effort for something I'm going to spend hours reading (I only bother doing this with book-length PDFs.)--big whoop. I also strip the DRM from Kindle books and convert them to epub (also not a big deal after the first time), so I can have all my books in one place. It's not much more effort than ripping a CD or DVD so you can enjoy them how you want.
ScrewTheDaisies is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2010, 04:01 PM   #18
jodorowsky00
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmm1 View Post
I like iBooks with its Dictionary feature.

I use iPDF for my PDFs on the ipad but it does not allow you to search on words but it displays images.

I used Calibre but it would not convert images from PDF to ePUB. The only program that seems to do this is one from ANYBIZSOFT. But I was wondeing of there was a free program that works as well as the one from ANYBIZSOFT.
Ok you have a point!
jodorowsky00 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2010, 12:56 PM   #19
ipodtoucher
macrumors 68000
 
ipodtoucher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Cedar Park, TX
Send a message via AIM to ipodtoucher
http://calibre-ebook.com/

Try that... I've used it once, it was pretty easy but messed up the chapter, but that doesn't bother me.
__________________
YES WE DID - Twitter @ipodtoucher - My Work
27" 3.4Ghz i7 iMac, 15" 2.8GHz MacBook Pro Mid-2009, Original MacBook Air, iPhone 4S, The New iPad
ipodtoucher is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2010, 10:28 PM   #20
HappyDude20
macrumors 68020
 
HappyDude20's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Los Angeles, Ca
Glad i found this thread. Personally I love GoodReader, but not for reading PDF's. I'll most likely test out my PDF books in Calibre and see how it looks like on the iPad. GoodReader houses almost a 1GB of my files in there...which have come in handy...including my college transcripts, which whenever we gotta speak with a counselor at my school we gotta print them out to show him/her but was in a hurry, forgot but just opened GoodReader and looked exactly the same. Of course my counselor wanted to play around with the iPad for a bit too.
__________________
iPad & iPhone Only
HappyDude20 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 2010, 01:48 AM   #21
Carinay
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: May 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Night Spring View Post
Converting PDF to other formats almost never works well no matter what conversion program you use. Kindle books, on the other hand, turn out almost always perfectly into ipub once the DRM has been removed. I think I found out how by googling something like "kindle, drm, remove."
I don't agree that. As most of the portable devices, including Kindle and iPhone, iPad and etc, supports .epub format, so I still think you can convert your .pdf ebooks to .epub ebooks and then view your ebook on Kindle or iPhone.

As far as I know, Calibre can help you convert. pdf format to .epub format, but the application can only work on Mac OS. Another way, you can view your PDF ebooks using Good Reader. If you use Windows OS and wanna convert PDF to EPub, I suggest you AnyBizSoft PDF to EPub Converter, I have used it before and feels good. Google is good buddy and may help you.
Carinay is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 2010, 05:23 AM   #22
Night Spring
macrumors G3
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carinay View Post
I don't agree that. As most of the portable devices, including Kindle and iPhone, iPad and etc, supports .epub format, so I still think you can convert your .pdf ebooks to .epub ebooks and then view your ebook on Kindle or iPhone.
Well, you *can* convert, I never said you couldn't. But most of the time, the converted file turns out formatted very badly. Have you actually tried converting pdf files to epub yourself?

Quote:
As far as I know, Calibre can help you convert. pdf format to .epub format, but the application can only work on Mac OS.
There is Calibre for windows, and I also believe for linux.
Night Spring is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2010, 12:50 AM   #23
HappyDude20
macrumors 68020
 
HappyDude20's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Los Angeles, Ca
So, weeks later from last posting in this thread...

I'll just say I've been using Calibre for converting PDFs to ePub and though the formatting isnt perfect, it's good enough for me to read a book. I thought the conversion process was going to take a long time but the truth is a book like The God Delusion took less than 5 minutes to convert. That and the file size of the ePub was less than a MB, while the original PDF was more than 5MBs.

My one small qualm is that some of these PDF books have images in them and are referenced in the reading but Obviously don't show up at all in the ebook.

Oh well....

...but I do love the note taking feature, along with the built in dictionary.
__________________
iPad & iPhone Only
HappyDude20 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2012, 12:25 PM   #24
lloydstephens
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
As others have said you can convert them using Calibre. It is a great application. I do know that you can read pdf in iBooks but you do not get the extra functions, such as tap a word to get a definition, or to copy and paste elsewhere. I've just converted all my Open University Text books to iBook format for this main reason. I had them all as PDFs but it was a hassle looking up stuff. Also iBook format is 'a nicer experience' and more like reading a book book. Sometimes the formatting can go a bit wrong but I find that happens a lot less than I've been warned about.
lloydstephens is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2012, 10:11 AM   #25
raphaeltecsonmd
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
I cannot understand why people need to bother themselves in converting PDF to epub when you can open a PDF file in iBooks...
raphaeltecsonmd is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
All iPads: Converting textbooks into eBooks or PDF? troy14 iPad 2 Aug 20, 2013 06:23 AM
Converting PDF files with images to EPUB Mdv2 Mac Applications and Mac App Store 3 Jan 8, 2013 04:29 AM
PDF to Epub conversion for iBooks? LAFUNGA Mac Applications and Mac App Store 4 Nov 1, 2012 09:28 AM
ePub to PDF? M0esmac Mac Applications and Mac App Store 2 Oct 28, 2012 02:20 PM
ePub to PDF? Tander Mac Applications and Mac App Store 5 Jun 25, 2012 09:19 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:37 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC