Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

realph

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 21, 2007
Anyone else slightly disappointed with Steam for Mac?

I've yet to boot up a game (Portal's still downloading) and already I'm slightly disappointed. I really hate the UI, it feels out of place, clunky and doesn't feel remotely native. Sorry if I'm coming off anal, but have Valve never heard of rounded corners? Button clicks are off and sometimes don't even respond. I'm sure it doesn't help that I saw this redesign last week also (http://blog.cocoia.com/2010/redesigning-steam-for-mac/).

Anyone else feel the same? Sound off below!

Hackint0sh

macrumors member
Apr 12, 2010
You'll be disappointed trying to download a free game on opening day. I just purchased Torchlight on steam, and it rocks!

Metalmorphed

macrumors member
Mar 14, 2010
It's a petty that not all Valve games are out, but not disappointed at all.
There are some really cool indie games available right now, and those make me really happy :D

Kebabselector

macrumors 68030
May 25, 2007
Birmingham, UK
I'm happy it has arrived, sure it's a gonna be a little rough round the edges for a while but I can live with it - saves sticking XP/Bootcamp back on.

amadeus3000

macrumors newbie
May 12, 2010
I just complained somewhere else. To sum it up:

So yeah. Steam on Mac. Good in theory, but right, now, they don't seem to be able to handle the onslaught. Also what gives Valve? Steam as died two times on me now (new MacBook Pro, so it can't be the machine), it feels sluggish as hell (just like the PC version), won't register official Magic Mouse swipes, has got the horrible Windows menu system (I left Windows behind because of that) and drag and drop results in a complete failure. Well, they might have ported a Windows program to Mac, but so far, that's all what they have done. Their icon looks like s**** since it's bigger than all the other dock icons (the redesign from that one guy only works for a closed app). It uses as much resources as on Windows and doesn't take into consideration an unified cross-program Mac look and feeling. Adding games is pretty much hit and miss, I had to reload the Warcraft folder ten times to finally get the Frozen Throne app to show up. I know such stupid things from my Windows past – it shouldn't happen on Mac. They can be native as much as they like, right now I might just as well run Steam on Windows through BootCamp or Parallels – it would be the same. This doesn't feel like Valve, but maybe it actually does: like a client which is not going to be fixed by a simple redesign and a port to a new platform.

I like the idea of Steam and I love Valve, but right now I'm very disappointed. Steam has not changed over the past year (go away with that friend stuff and what not) and instead of tweaking the experience they have just stuffed it with even more content and functions. Which Steam can't handle the right way. I advocate video games on Mac as often as I can, but I begin to doubt it. Mac games where very limited, true, but at least most of them ran on every Intel Mac without problems. Now with everyone jumping on the bandwagon, we see a platform fragmentation which was until now neither endorsed nor promoted by Apple. A lot of compatibility problems come with that, problems which many Mac users tried to escape from. Oh well, perhaps it will change over the next two weeks. I hope so. But at the moment Steam on Mac is just as good (or bad) as the Windows version.

And some other point: Steam scrolls terrible. It scrolls like a windows program, without any momentum. Sorry again for ranting, but I'm really disappointed.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
No sir, I love it so far. Installing a few games I already own (Galcon, Indiana Jones', Osmos and Torchlight). They all run perfect. The whole thing is perfect. The UI needs some minor tweaking but that isn't getting in the way of me playing my games on a Mac!

Cabbit

macrumors 68020
Jan 30, 2006
Scotland
Was hoping for Half Life or Half Life 2 on launch but i guess i'll have to wait a wee bit longer for 2 of my favourite games to hit the mac.

CylonGlitch

macrumors 68030
Jul 7, 2009
Nashville
I don't care that it isn't very Mac like, I wish it was a bit slicker and integrated with the OSX interface, but I am quite happy to have it. 63 games on release day, is awesome!

I just purchased the Lucas Arts Adventure Pack. Already downloading Portal (about 1/2 way done -- servers are being hammered) and will download Torchlight (I own it already). I can't wait to play... too bad busy with work. :(

realph

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 21, 2007
I just complained somewhere else. To sum it up:

And some other point: Steam scrolls terrible. It scrolls like a windows program, without any momentum. Sorry again for ranting, but I'm really disappointed.

I agree with every point you made. Just played Portal and it ran pretty well for the most part, I'm just very disappointed with the experience. It's like Valve have let a Windows app escape from the Zoo and onto the Mac - not cool!

Metalmorphed

macrumors member
Mar 14, 2010
I agree with every point you made. Just played Portal and it ran pretty well for the most part, I'm just very disappointed with the experience. It's like Valve have let a Windows app escape from the Zoo and onto the Mac - not cool!

I agree too, the scrollings sucks.
Still, love that it's finally there :D

allfunandgames

macrumors member
Mar 24, 2010
Auckland, New Zealand
Torchlight Rocks!

Torchlight is a super fun game from some of the creators of Diablo. No online play, but the single player is lots of fun and it was number 11 on the Joystiq games of the year for 2009. 50% off at $10 it is great value for money!

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
I think the launch numbers are pretty good too. 11/120 in my library work under OSX, and that numbers likely to shoot up in the coming weeks.

My only worry at the moment is Xbox 360 controller support. I hope these ports support it as they do on the PC versions.

pcorajr

macrumors 6502
Jun 6, 2007
I love how people complain so much.... any little thing and it is an automatic FAIL.

People complain about the UI. Well let me see I spent a total of 5 minutes with the steam UI and a total of 90 minutes playing Torchligth. Get the point? why the hell should I care so much about the Steam GUI when I am spending most of the time paying game??!

FYI I PURCHASED Torchlight and it downloaded the full game in under 3 minutes, the keyword here is PURCHASED. People complain that they are trying to download a freebie and its taking to long. Well guess what, if Valve was to give every freeloader max bandwidth, then those who pay for their games would get screwed when everybody in their mother decides to download a free 5gig game.

Honestly **** and go do what you are supposed to be doing... Playing the Games that until today you could not play. Mac users should really be all over this one, this is probably our only chance at showing developers that this platform is worth developing for.

amadeus3000

macrumors newbie
May 12, 2010
Look pcorajr, I don't know about you, but yes I PURCHASED (uhhh scary) Civ IV Complete AND Torchlight. Does that make my argument any more valid?

Steam's UI is pretty important. It is a hub for gaming, I'm transferring my friends list from Windows to it, in the future my purchases, I'm going to continue to check profiles of friends and other gamers and communicate through Steam with them. And what have I got? A not so great, most certainly not 'native', UI for it. That disappoints me. Wouldn't it you? So, good for you, if you're using Steam for five minutes. But that wasn't their point...

Thunder82

macrumors 6502
Jul 16, 2008
Chicago, IL
Not disappointed in the slightest, I'm stoked that OSX is actually getting visibility as a gaming platform. I might have liked to see a few more (good) titles at launch, but overall I'm extremely happy.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.