Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JBReed

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 7, 2004
I want to sometimes run my powerbook G4 in clamshell mode in order to devote all it's VRAM to an external monitor. Is this correct that doing so will then give the external display all of the VRAM instead of splitting it between the two screens? Also, does running clamshell mode over the long run harm the powerbook? Heat an issue for the powerbook screen? I do have my powerbook sitting on an icurve which seems to generally keep it running pretty cool (no pun intended).

James

homerjward

macrumors 68030
May 11, 2004
fig tree
it *shouldn't* generate enough heat to be bad but if you're worried you could put it to sleep then wake it up in clamshell mode then open the lid and the internal screen will still be turned off

wPod

macrumors 68000
Aug 19, 2003
Denver, CO
ive never had any troubles with mine. i put mine in clamshell mode often and just keep nice airflow under the laptop (i keep mine proped up on a carabiner! yeah its cheap, but it works!) so you should be fine with the iCurve. apple knows there is a problem with the iBooks so they are not able to start in clamshell mode, but i am sure apple has done the research to let them know the powerbooks are safe in clamshell mode. come on, apple doesnt want to replace a lot of powerbooks that go bad b/c of clamshell mode!

atari1356

macrumors 68000
Feb 27, 2004
I've been using my PowerBook with the display closed for a few months with no problems. Apple designed them so you can use them that way - and so there shouldn't be any long term damage. Also, you are right in thinking that all of the VRAM goes to the external monitor when the PowerBook's screen is off.

Here's Apple's support document on the subject:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=88064

JBReed

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 7, 2004
Thanks for the advice. Just waiting for my display to arrive (Dell 2001fp).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.