Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Old May 13, 2010, 09:51 AM   #1
zukernik
macrumors regular

Cannot connect to the internet even though I have a very good signal

Ever since I got my iPad it has always been disconnecting at random moments. When it disconnects, it still shows a very strong signal at the upper left corner but cannot go on the internet anyway. The only way to get it online is to turn the wifi off and on again. This happens to me around 10-15 times a day and around once a day I have to restart the iPad because turning the wifi off and on doesn't work. I have googled a bit but the most common wifi problem seems to be completely different. Is this a problem with my wifi connection or with my iPad?
zukernik is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2010, 09:56 AM   #2
jimHdk
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by zukernik View Post
Ever since I got my iPad it has always been disconnecting at random moments. When it disconnects, it still shows a very strong signal at the upper left corner but cannot go on the internet anyway. The only way to get it online is to turn the wifi off and on again. This happens to me around 10-15 times a day and around once a day I have to restart the iPad because turning the wifi off and on doesn't work. I have googled a bit but the most common wifi problem seems to be completely different. Is this a problem with the wifi connection or with the iPad?
Difficult to say much since you give no details about the type of router you have or whether it has up-to-date firmware.

Try reading this: http://support.apple.com/kb/TS3304?viewlocale=en_US
jimHdk is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2010, 10:13 AM   #3
zukernik
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimHdk View Post
Difficult to say much since you give no details about the type of router you have or whether it has up-to-date firmware.

Try reading this: http://support.apple.com/kb/TS3304?viewlocale=en_US
I use my university's wifi so I have no idea how it is configured and even if I did I would have no control over it. I was just wondering if my problem happened to others. The wifi actually works once I restart it but randomly disconnects without showing it in the signal icon.

Last edited by zukernik; May 13, 2010 at 10:20 AM.
zukernik is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2010, 10:17 AM   #4
4DThinker
macrumors 68020

Go have a talk with the network services department. I eat lunch with several of my university's networking technicians, and they've been dealing with similar problems since the iPad came out. Most have been worked out now, but it meant they had to update firmware on their switches/routers/etc., to solve all the problems.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad