Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dave6

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 13, 2010
I have an old iomega CD-RW external drive (firewire only) . It came stock with a Lite-on 40x12x48x, 5.25" IDE drive. I would like to swap in a new DVD/CD drive. Is this possible??? Any particular brand of dvd drives I should look into? Thanks all.

skorpien

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2008
Any models on this page should do:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=2010100005 1038406818&name=IDE

As long as the size and interface are the same, you should be able to swap them out. The only thing that might be tricky is if they made it difficult to open the enclosure. Also, if they've installed a custom faceplate, it may take some fiddling to take it off and make the new one fit. Do you have a picture or link to a product page?

btw, I've had the best luck with LG drives from the ones I've owned over the years, but I can't really comment on the other makes they have listed as I've never bought them.

dave6

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 13, 2010
External Drive CD to DVD swap?? Mission Possible or Impossible??

Thanks for the info skorpien. I put an order in on the Pioneer DVR-118LBK, I’ll follow up when I get it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.