Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
Now Available via Software Update:
Security Update 2004-09-30 delivers a number of security enhancements and is recommended for all Macintosh users. This update includes the following components:

AFP Server
CUPS
NetInfoManager
postfix
QuickTime

For detailed information on this Update, please visit this website: http://www.info.apple.com/kbnum/n61798

M

må¥å

Who wants to be a Lab Mouse and test it first and report. :)

reaper

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2004
19th Hole
lots of security updates these days... oh well, as long as they're solid I'd rather have updates than security holes.

- reaper

dotnina

macrumors 6502a
Aug 19, 2004
Another security update?! :eek:

Apple is just cranking these out nowadays.

Anyway, it looks like a little one, just 1.5 MB. Installing it now.

And edit ... it requires a restart ... doh.

PDubNYC

macrumors member
May 14, 2003
NYC
No problems

Just installed it, no problems so far on a 15"PB, 1GHz

Although the Finder does feel a bit snappier.

Just kidding, it seems the same.

cb911

macrumors 601
Mar 12, 2002
BrisVegas, Australia
heh, the Finder probably seems snappier because of that reboot. ;)

is't this update a bit late... i mean it's the 5th now...

and i just rebooted after that Java #2 update. now, i've got to re-boot again? :rolleyes: ah well. you've gotta do what you've gotta do.

Mudbug

Administrator emeritus
Jun 28, 2002
North Central Colorado
cb911 said:
heh, the Finder probably seems snappier because of that reboot. ;)

is't this update a bit late... i mean it's the 5th now...

and i just rebooted after that Java #2 update. now, i've got to re-boot again? :rolleyes: ah well. you've gotta do what you've gotta do.

I'd rather it be late and work right, than on-time and fubar'd.

AmigoMac

macrumors 68020
Aug 5, 2003
l'Allemagne
I don'T want to update until someone confirms that "Localhost" as smtp server still works, I have a lot of work e-mails going out from my iBook...

Hello, anybody there with postfix activated? :)

EDIT: Nevermind, I just tried in one of our macs and everyting is correct... as always, everything looks snappier :p ;) J/K

titaniumducky

macrumors 6502a
Nov 22, 2003
PDubNYC said:
Just installed it, no problems so far on a 15"PB, 1GHz

Although the Finder does feel a bit snappier.

Just kidding, it seems the same.

Actually, it did seem to fix a problem I had where the Applications and Macintosh HD folders kept scrambling their icons.

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
Hmm, yet another security update - there have been quite a few lately! Ah well, I don't mind applying them since I know Apple is doing a timely and thorough job on addressing security issues, whether they are minor or not. One can never be too careful! :cool:

liketom

macrumors 601
Apr 8, 2004
Lincoln,UK
installed no problems here , why don't they just make sunday a update night seems like every week a new update is here - not that i am complaining mind.

ta

tom

Peter Kim

macrumors member
Jul 23, 2003
New York, NY
titaniumducky said:
Actually, it did seem to fix a problem I had where the Applications and Macintosh HD folders kept scrambling their icons.

both my work and home computers have been doing that too! wonder what caused it?

Lancetx

macrumors 68000
Aug 11, 2003
Peter Kim said:
both my work and home computers have been doing that too! wonder what caused it?

I've noticed the same thing lately too. It happened after I installed the most recent Java update, but I don't see what that would have had to do with it though really. As for today's "9/30" update, it installed and everything is a-ok afterwards. :)

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
It's cool that Apple acknowledges the person who reported a security issue.

CUPS
Impact: Local disclosure of user passwords
Description: Certain methods of authenticated remote printing could disclose user passwords in the printing system log files. Credit to Gary Smith of the IT Services department at Glasgow Caledonian University for reporting this issue.

Jetson

macrumors 6502a
Oct 5, 2003
I installed the security update and everything works fine. In fact I've never had any problems after installing Apple updates. Some of you guys must have your Macs seriously tricked-out to always be complaining about problems :)

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
Damn Apple, I've lost my 2 days uptime :-D

Glad Apple are keeping up with security fixes even though Tiger is just around the corner.

izzle22

macrumors 65816
Jul 13, 2004
Kansas City, MO
Jetson said:
I installed the security update and everything works fine. In fact I've never had any problems after installing Apple updates. Some of you guys must have your Macs seriously tricked-out to always be complaining about problems :)

Same Here! I just don't understand all these problems. I've had Macs most of my life and I always install updates and never had any problems or glitches!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.