Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ILoveCakes

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 14, 2010
Hello everyone

I am looking for a pair of earbuds to replace the stock ones that come with the iphone, they need to have a mic, an answer/play/pause/etc button, and a inline volume control that works in conjunction with my Iphone 3GS, like the stocks one. I have found many with answer button and a mic, however i listen to a ton of music, and having to take my Iphone out of my pocket all the time to change the volume would be a pain in the ass.:mad:

Btw i have researched the Zagg Smart Buds, and im not quite sure about this: do they have a volume controller that works in conjunction with my iphone, cause i dont want to have to seperate volume controllers

Thanks in advance:D

Dmac77

macrumors 68020
Jan 2, 2008
Michigan
I don't know if Shure has updated their phone connection kit to include volume buttons, but I will throw my support behind Shure earbuds. They aren't cheap (several hundred dollars), but they do sound wonderful.

Note: the phone connection kit is an additional $30-$50 on top of the price of the headphones.

Don

ILoveCakes

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 14, 2010
Ty for the reply

Well, adapters are not really what im looking for, as i dont wont more then whats necessary in my pocket.

And your location is freaking epic, play on Ravencrest Eu aswell :p

Dmac77

macrumors 68020
Jan 2, 2008
Michigan
Well, adapters are not really what im looking for, as i dont wont more then whats necessary in my pocket.

And your location is freaking epic, play on Ravencrest Eu aswell :p

Your argument regarding adaptors is completely fair, and understood.

Regarding Ravencrest, I haven't logged on in a while, I came to realize that my life is more important than WoW. I have been having urges to log back on lately, now that I've finished most of my major exams for the year...

Don

hushmartin

macrumors 6502
Jul 4, 2009
Kansas
What you are looking for is earbuds with what is called "tapline" controls. The Klipsch s4i earbuds have them, as do the Apple branded earbuds and a few others.

I personally didn't want to spend 70-120 bucks on earbuds, so I got this brand:
http://www.amazon.com/Scosche-HP155...1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1273863723&sr=8-1

Scosche earbuds- they sound good, work well, I have no complaints. The link is to the newest model of the same thing I have. They look a little nicer.

ILoveCakes

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 14, 2010

Thank you very much, looking at them now, didnt know that its called tapline controls, that will help me in my search :D

SonicHowler

macrumors newbie
Mar 19, 2009
If you do decide to get the ZAGG Smartbuds, (retail 79.99), I have a 40% ZAGG discount code you can use. That'd make them 48 dollars.

Juliartx

macrumors newbie
Jun 3, 2010
I-phone Ear Buds

Hey! I have some awesome ear buds for you to check out! They are AERIAL7's Sumo...they are ipod, iphone and skype compatible! Here is their website. I have had them for a while now and they are pretty durable too!!!

jkozlow3

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2008
If you actually care about sound quality and like the IEM style (not earbuds - IEMs go into your canal a bit and block out much more noise) then the Klipsch S4i is about as good as you'll find with full iPhone controls.

They sell them at the Apple store if you want to pick them up locally or you might be able to save a few bucks buying them online somewhere.

I think they sound better than anything near their price point ($100 retail). Certainly WAY better than the Apple IEMs for $80. I've tried both - no comparison IMO.

If you do truly want earbuds and not IEMs, I can't really help. Most of the better sounding earbuds (i.e. Sennheiser MX-880) do not come with full iPhone controls. Then again, you didn't mention anything about sound quality in your post, so maybe you don't really care about good sound anyway!

imoguy789

macrumors member
Mar 10, 2008
+1 for the Klipsch S4is
I've also had the Apple IE headphones with the mic and volume controls and the klipsch blows them out of the water. I've gone through about 5 pairs of earbuds in the last 4 months and these are by far the best I've bought.

candyman

macrumors regular
Aug 1, 2007
Phoenix, Arizona
+1 for the Klipsch S4is
I've also had the Apple IE headphones with the mic and volume controls and the klipsch blows them out of the water. I've gone through about 5 pairs of earbuds in the last 4 months and these are by far the best I've bought.

Make that a +2 for the S4i. Well worth the money, probably slightly underpriced actually for what you get.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.