Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JTToft

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 27, 2010
Aarhus, Denmark
Hi all!

I am going to buy a 15" MacBook Pro in the near future (a couple of weeks from now, I think). I am ordering from the Apple Online Store and I have decided on the following configuration:

Computer specifications:
- 2.53 GHz Intel Core i5
- 4 GB RAM
- 500 GB 7200 RPM harddrive
- Hi-Res Antiglare Display

Software and accessories:
- iWork preinstalled
- Mini DisplayPort to VGA Adapter
- Apple Remote

The price of this will be the equivalent of 2,700 USD in my country (Denmark) and currency (DKK).
I am about to throw my current DELL laptop* out the window, so I decided it was time to make the jump to a Mac.

I am getting a little paranoid (or maybe just scared) because of all the reports of dead/stuck pixels, backlight bleeding, freezing and so on. But I tend to believe this is blown out of proportion - just like the alleged problems with the iPhone 3GS (which I own and love) when it was just released.
Am I correct in thinking that these issues are not as bad or widespread as one would think when reading these forums?

Basically, I just want to know if there is anything I need to know before I pull the trigger?
Please comment on anything!

- Thanks!

* I got it from my school. I, myself, would never in my life buy a DELL.

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
First of all, get the 2.4GHz, you won't notice any difference.

AFAIK, MBPs have been okay, nothing serious issues, only normal ones

ozreth

macrumors 65816
Nov 5, 2009
Just remember that millions of these things are being sold and you only see a handful of people on these forums complaining (myself included :)) because people don't have a reason to speak out when things work.

Just don't expect your battery to last 8 hours. 5-7 maybe. The best advice I can give you is to stop reading these forums between now and a few months after you get your computer. This place can ruin a person :p

soapage

macrumors member
Dec 26, 2009
I am a first time macbook owner and I love it... you have nothing to worry about... if you can get the i7 and upgrade your ram on a later date.. but this machine is awesome.

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen
This is a help forum so the percentage of reading about defects with Macs is quite high, thus it is out of proportion, as the majority of Mac users don't come here and post something good about their machines.

Do you have any kind of Apple Authorized Repair Shop in your area, so if you run into any problems, they could handle it?

København should have something like that or even Århus if you're on Jylland.

JTToft

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 27, 2010
Aarhus, Denmark
- Thanks for your replies!
Keep them coming. :)

First of all, get the 2.4GHz, you won't notice any difference.

- I know I propably won't. But the difference in price is so small that it doesn't matter. It's about 23 USD between the 2.4 and 2.53, so I figured I might as well buy that one.
So unless there's some disadvantage with the 2.53, that's the one I'm going to get... ;)

JTToft

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 27, 2010
Aarhus, Denmark
Do you have any kind of Apple Authorized Repair Shop in your area, so if you run into any problems, they could handle it?

København should have something like that or even Århus if you're on Jylland.

- That won't be a problem. There's a Humac in Aarhus and as far as I know they accept all Apple products for repair. :)

--------

Thank you all for confirming my intuition regarding the MBP problems!

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
- Thanks for your replies!
Keep them coming. :)

- I know I propably won't. But the difference in price is so small that it doesn't matter. It's about 23 USD between the 2.4 and 2.53, so I figured I might as well buy that one.
So unless there's some disadvantage with the 2.53, that's the one I'm going to get... ;)

Oh, how it's that small! Sure it's worth it for that difference!

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
- That won't be a problem. There's a Humac in Aarhus and as far as I know they accept all Apple products for repair. :)

Yeah, they do. I asked when I bought my AppleCare from them (we have Humacs in here as well). I've always got good service from them, great reseller

JTToft

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 27, 2010
Aarhus, Denmark
Yeah, they do. I asked when I bought my AppleCare from them (we have Humacs in here as well). I've always got good service from them, great reseller

- Thanks for the info! But will they accept my MBP for repair without charge if I don't have AppleCare? (i.e. just the normal 1-year Apple warranty)
I am a little concerned about my options when using the Apple Online Store.

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
- Thanks for the info! But will they accept my MBP for repair without charge if I don't have AppleCare? (i.e. just the normal 1-year Apple warranty)
I am a little concerned about my options when using the Apple Online Store.

Yeah, as long as you have warranty from Apple, they'll cover it, even if you didn't buy it from them. So 1 year without and 3 with AppleCare

brentsg

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2008
You'll have dead pixels, but it won't matter because the rest will have a yellow tint anyways.

The edge will probably slash your wrists.

The battery will likely explode and the Magsafe will prob burn down your house.

The MBP itself will run several hundred degrees C.

If you can manage to pick it up (with the heat and all) the hard drive will make a strange clicking noise.

The wireless reception will be terrible.

You will need to constantly worry about what GPU is being used.

All this is according to forum posts, of course. Mine is perfect. :D

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
- Alright. Thanks. And you know this because you asked them, right?

Yes, and authorized resellers like Humac who offer repairs are part of AppleCare, meaning that they do AppleCare (=warranty) repairs. It would be nonsense if they had their own warranty system and wouldn't be part of AppleCare :rolleyes:

JTToft

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 27, 2010
Aarhus, Denmark
You'll have dead pixels, but it won't matter because the rest will have a yellow tint anyways.

The edge will probably slash your wrists.

The battery will likely explode and the Magsafe will prob burn down your house.

The MBP itself will run several hundred degrees C.

If you can manage to pick it up (with the heat and all) the hard drive will make a strange clicking noise.

The wireless reception will be terrible.

You will need to constantly worry about what GPU is being used.

All this is according to forum posts, of course. Mine is perfect. :D

- Haha. :D Thanks for the laugh.

Yes, and authorized resellers like Humac who offer repairs are part of AppleCare, meaning that they do AppleCare (=warranty) repairs. It would be nonsense if they had their own warranty system and wouldn't be part of AppleCare

- Yeah, I know.. :rolleyes:
But I wanted to make sure. I want my first Mac and my experience with it to be good. :) And since I am spending a lot of money, I don't think that's too much to ask.

Thanks for all your replies. I really appreciate it! And please don't hesitate to make more comments/recommendations.

ECUpirate44

macrumors 603
Mar 22, 2010
NC
Just remember that millions of these things are being sold and you only see a handful of people on these forums complaining (myself included :)) because people don't have a reason to speak out when things work.

Just don't expect your battery to last 8 hours. 5-7 maybe. The best advice I can give you is to stop reading these forums between now and a few months after you get your computer. This place can ruin a person :p

Kudos to that!

3rdi

macrumors newbie
May 12, 2010
Does anybody know if the high res glossy 2.66 is being stocked instore yet ?
I'm flying to the us tonight and the bto option turned out to be a pain,
cheers j

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.