Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > MacRumors News Discussion (archive)

Old Oct 4, 2004, 07:54 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Apple To Add Platinum Theme?

AppleInsider has posted screen shots of Mail.app 2.0 in the most recent developer release (8A27x) of Tiger. In a blend of the two current themes available (Aqua & Brushed Metal) a platinum interface theme has emerged, with a smooth gradation of color in the menu bars. Other Mail 2.0 features are parental controls for filtering display of content on a per-application basis, iCal integration, and the ability to read email certificates. A single-window interface has also been implemented, doing away with the retractable mailbox drawer, and circular count badges are being used to show unread message counts within mailbox folders.
MacRumors is offline   0
Old Oct 4, 2004, 07:56 PM   #2
ZombieChef
macrumors newbie

I really like the "platinum design". How bout the rest of you?

Last edited by Mudbug; Oct 4, 2004 at 07:59 PM. Reason: first post spam removed
ZombieChef is offline   0
Old Oct 4, 2004, 07:57 PM   #3
Music_Producer
macrumors 68000

It looks allright in the screenshot..but I'm sure its much better when you see it in person. I personally love the current look of panther. Heck, anything Apple comes out with is always beautiful
Music_Producer is offline   0
Old Oct 4, 2004, 07:58 PM   #4
machan
macrumors regular

i think it's a definite improvement over aqua and brushed metal. cleaner, sleaker and cooler. matches the feel (if not also the look) of the aluminum enclosures and the new imac. hopefully apple has the balls to implement it across the board for tiger.
machan is offline   0
Old Oct 4, 2004, 08:00 PM   #5
Natron
macrumors member

Ok...I'm sorry...but the first thing that came to mind when seeing the image was "Windows".
Natron is offline   0
Old Oct 4, 2004, 08:00 PM   #6
Peter9
macrumors member

looks a little plain to me, i dunno. i didn't like brushed steel right away either, so it's hard to say.
Old Oct 4, 2004, 08:00 PM   #7
feeze
macrumors member

wow looks amazing, lest hope it fixes some of the errors people have been complaining about.
feeze is offline   0
Old Oct 4, 2004, 08:02 PM   #8
Roller
macrumors 65816

Not sure I like the docked folders on the left. I'd prefer to be able to put them on either side. Also, does the folder list get a vertical scroll bar when the list is too long to display? That would take up some of the space occupied by the message counts.
Roller is offline   0
Old Oct 4, 2004, 08:04 PM   #9
Natron
macrumors member

Upon closer inspection, I don't like it. I really don't know why, but I just don't like it. It seems really flat, and it just looks like Windows. Maybe I'll come to like it, I don't know, but I prefer brushed metal.

Or give us an option!
Natron is offline   0
Old Oct 4, 2004, 08:06 PM   #10
ijimk
macrumors 6502a

As a mail user I am all for apple adding themes to apps and maybe updating and adding more colors to os x. All good move keep it up apple.
Old Oct 4, 2004, 08:06 PM   #11
----Bowie----
macrumors regular

Its ok... But not grate.
----Bowie---- is offline   0
Old Oct 4, 2004, 08:08 PM   #12
wwooden
macrumors 68000

Send a message via AIM to wwooden Send a message via Skype™ to wwooden
I like it

I use Mail everyday and it will be nice to see a change happen in the visual design of it. I don't plan on using the parental controls, but I don't use ever feature of every program anyway.
Old Oct 4, 2004, 08:09 PM   #13
sockeatingdryer
macrumors regular

Send a message via AIM to sockeatingdryer Send a message via Skype™ to sockeatingdryer
Heck, I want pure Platinum.

/Goodbye, OS 9, my friend...
Old Oct 4, 2004, 08:09 PM   #14
pyrotoaster
macrumors 65816

Oooohhh...
It looks very sleek.

Nice...
Old Oct 4, 2004, 08:10 PM   #15
blueBomber
macrumors regular

it would be better if we could choose the theme of our os right in the system prefs
blueBomber is offline   0
Old Oct 4, 2004, 08:12 PM   #16
macridah
macrumors 6502a

Me like. I can't wait until Tiger will be released. The screenshots I saw had potential ... I know it will just get better.
macridah is offline   0
Old Oct 4, 2004, 08:15 PM   #17
Phat_Pat
macrumors 68000

darn first post considered spam

well the theme looks really nice. Just the overall look of the whole OS is lookin' just amazing. i can't wait for this sucker to come out. it just looks neato
Old Oct 4, 2004, 08:16 PM   #18
narco
macrumors 65816

Give me Mail 2.0 NOW.

A downloads folder? No stupid-looking drawer? And the look is absolutely amazing.

.narco
narco is offline   0
Old Oct 4, 2004, 08:27 PM   #19
iGary

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natron
Ok...I'm sorry...but the first thing that came to mind when seeing the image was "Windows".
You're not the only one.
iGary is offline   0
Old Oct 4, 2004, 08:29 PM   #20
broken_keyboard
Banned

It looks like the pinstripes are making a comeback (check out the inactive window). They never fully left of course, but they did become very very subtle.
broken_keyboard is offline   0
Old Oct 4, 2004, 08:31 PM   #21
Stella
macrumors 603

I loathe brushed metal so anything is a definite improvement and I like the look of the theme. However, I hope Tiger is theme consistant, unlike Panther - Aqua, Brushed metal. Almost as bad as Linux - KDE, GTK, Motif themes / looks etc etc...

Looking at the Mail screenshots, there is too much wasted space at the top of the window - title bar area, just like there is wasted space in the Finder Windows in Panther. Don't like that.

Also, I like the side bars.. means more real estate if I wish.. removal of side Bars is a definite negative imo.
Old Oct 4, 2004, 08:44 PM   #22
mikeyrogers
macrumors member

Send a message via AIM to mikeyrogers
Quote:
Exactly. I saw Longhorn IMMEDIATELY when I looked at that huge title bar area. But is that really a BAD thing?
mikeyrogers is offline   0
Old Oct 4, 2004, 08:44 PM   #23
GFLPraxis
macrumors 604

Looks interesting. But I miss the sidebar
GFLPraxis is offline   0
Old Oct 4, 2004, 08:46 PM   #24
iMeowbot
macrumors 601

If this is a stab at a new appearance (everywhere) for the textured flag, then yay. If it's a third "standard" look, make it go away. Now.

If it's just shoving bitmaps in the usual way, why? It's true that Mail has been a drab-looking program, but yeesh, it's . . . mail.
iMeowbot is offline   0
Old Oct 4, 2004, 08:46 PM   #25
dotnina
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
I muttered this to myself when I saw the pics too. What's with all the different colors of grey there? Strange.

Personally I think the current Mail is fine ... could use an update, sure, but this isn't how I would have chosen to do it.
dotnina is offline   0

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > MacRumors News Discussion (archive)