Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater

Old May 15, 2010, 01:00 AM   #1
lens42
macrumors newbie

Disable Apple TV Start Up Sound?

I got an Apple TV for use only as a music server. I want to listen to iTunes tracks on my HiFi without a computer on, so a "headless" Apple TV controlled by the "Remote" app on an iPhone seems like a nice solution (cheaper than Squeezebox or Sonos). I have it working (I set up the Apple TV set on my TV and then moved it to my stereo), but a problem is that every time I power up the Apple TV, I get the loud start-up sound. I'd prefer to not leave the Apple TV on 24-7 (It gets warm, so that's a fair amount of wasted power) but rather turn it on via the switched power outlet on my preamp. I have a tube power amp so its warm-up time just about matches the Apple TV boot-up. But I'd really like to kill the start-up "whoosh" that occurs at the end of boot-up. Or at least really cut it's volume. Can this be done?
lens42 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2010, 02:37 AM   #2
ipedro
macrumors 68020

That's a good question. If you jailbreak your AppleTV, you can SSH into it which will give you access to its files. From there, you can replace the bootup video with a short one without audio.

Look up how to jailbreak and SSH into your AppleTV and find the bootup video. Delete it and drop in the new short video renamed exactly as the old one. This should work perfectly.
Old May 15, 2010, 04:04 AM   #3
Tulipone
macrumors 6502

The sound is loud over my home cinema. It does disappear when you use ATV Flash. I kind of really like it though (and removed ATV Flash).
Tulipone is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater