Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hephaestus

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 4, 2010
Does anyone know if the above is possible? It would be amazing if it is, I'm pretty sure its possible on PC so if anyone knows how to do this on mac please share! Thanks

Holbert

macrumors newbie
Jul 13, 2009
I just beat Portal using my PS3 controller. Great experience. I watched this guy's video on Youtube to get it all working. He is configuring it for COD4, but it's the same concept for Portal. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KggbpRRjlc . ControllerMate costs $15, but in my opinion it will come in very handy in the longrun.

Washac

macrumors 68030
Jul 2, 2006
Hi All

I use my PS3 controller for playing emulation games, works a treat.

Just set it up as a Bluetooth device.

Why do you need software to do this ?

Holbert

macrumors newbie
Jul 13, 2009
Just set it up as a Bluetooth device.

Why do you need software to do this ?

ControllerMate is used to map the keys and mouse to the PS3 controller. Steam currently does not support gamepads in this current release of Steam on Mac. So technically this software may become obsolete when Steam implements gamepad support, but for the time being it allows the PS3 controller to be used with Steam games.

Hephaestus

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 4, 2010
Thank you so much Holbert you're a legend! I've been at it for 2 hours and have got everything working except I can't get the triggers to work for shooting portals. When I'm out of the game they work as the left and right click but when I'm in the game they wont work for some reason. I'll keep at it but if you have any idea then that would really help me out.

Thanks again.

Hephaestus

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 4, 2010
Ok now I seem to be having a problem when I quit portal and unpair the controller my cursor keeps flipping out?! Any ideas how I can fix this?

Hephaestus

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 4, 2010
Ok I have another update. I managed to get the triggers working for shooting portals so the controller functions perfectly in the game. There is still one problem though. When I quit the game and unpair the controller from my Macbook the mouse starts acting very strange. It shoots into the top left corner and refuses to budge. When I try to move it out it just goes straight back. When I pair the controller back again then the cursor returns to normal. If I restart then everything is fine again. It only happens after I have paired the controller and then unpair it.

AppleMactablet

macrumors regular
Jan 25, 2010
A Wiimote and numchuk would be an awesome combo-using A/B for the right and left mouse (the motion control for the portal gun) and the numchuk's analog as the WASD control

mixel

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2006
Leeds, UK
A Wiimote and numchuk would be an awesome combo-using A/B for the right and left mouse (the motion control for the portal gun) and the numchuk's analog as the WASD control
Sorry but I thought your "no such thing as an iTouch" sig was good.. It's a "Wii Remote".. And Nunchuk. Not a Wiimote and Numchuk. ;)

(Sorry, I call them Wiimote too, its nice and convenient)

---

The entire time I played through the PS3 version of Portal I was thinking "wow this would be so much easier with a mouse" .. More so than most games Portal really benefits from the sweeping precision you can get with a mouse.

Holbert

macrumors newbie
Jul 13, 2009
Ok I have another update. I managed to get the triggers working for shooting portals so the controller functions perfectly in the game. There is still one problem though. When I quit the game and unpair the controller from my Macbook the mouse starts acting very strange. It shoots into the top left corner and refuses to budge. When I try to move it out it just goes straight back. When I pair the controller back again then the cursor returns to normal. If I restart then everything is fine again. It only happens after I have paired the controller and then unpair it.

I've experienced the same issue. Try unchecking "Master Enable" in ControllerMate. It's located right above your pages on the left. Then unpair the PS3 controller. I believe this is what I did to fix the issue of my mouse going crazy.

Hephaestus

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 4, 2010
I've experienced the same issue. Try unchecking "Master Enable" in ControllerMate. It's located right above your pages on the left. Then unpair the PS3 controller. I believe this is what I did to fix the issue of my mouse going crazy.

That did the trick Holbert! Thanks so much for your help, you're an awesome guy! :)

Nightarchaon

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2010
If your using a system that can use a keyboard an mouse to play a First Person (shooter/Platform or puzzle) game and your using a controller, your doing it wrong.

Keyboard and mouse = precesion movements, faster response and perfect aim.
Controller - slow response, slow movements and wobbly aim.

Microsoft proved this to be true which is why they abandond cross platform gaming in xbox live (when tested novice gamers could beat, by a large margine, some of the TOP PRO console gamers by using a keyboard an mouse on an otherwise identical game)

Using a controller to play a FPS game is like using diving boots to run the 100 meteres, its just uneseccasrly crippling your self no good reason.

For games like Batman Arkham city/asylum, Infamous, Lego Starwars or whatever, controllers are supurb, as the games are desgined for the best use of them, but a 1st person shooter, you CAN NOT beat a keayboard an mouse.

I played portal on the PS3 (quite a while after i finished the PC version) and found it unplayably slow and unresponive, kudos to anyone who has finished it using a controler, your patience and desire to replay sections over and over again becuase you cant quite spin fast enough to place a portal before you lose line of sight must be heroicly high.

/rant over lol

but , honestly, just use what you prefer, i play on controller a lot, love my PS3 controller, bought one just to hook up to the mac to play some games like the lego starwars/batman/indiana jones series , ended up with an Xbox pad though because a lot of the PC games seem to support that nativly (darksiders, overlord I and II for example)
:D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.