Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Macintosh Computers

Old Oct 5, 2004, 02:28 PM   #1
elskeptico
macrumors member

Question partition for digital photos?

I'm about to undertake a clean install of Panther. I recently got a new digital camera and will undoubtedly be loading up my hard drive with digital pictures. Should I create a separate partition for this purpose? I already have my iTunes music on another drive completely. I've heard you should isolate the part of the drive used for the OS.
Thanks!
elskeptico is offline   0
Old Oct 5, 2004, 02:37 PM   #2
wrldwzrd89
macrumors G4

Quote:
Originally Posted by elskeptico
I'm about to undertake a clean install of Panther. I recently got a new digital camera and will undoubtedly be loading up my hard drive with digital pictures. Should I create a separate partition for this purpose? I already have my iTunes music on another drive completely. I've heard you should isolate the part of the drive used for the OS.
Thanks!
I wouldn't bother, although JFreak might say otherwise. If you're going to be using iPhoto, it might get confused about where its library is located if you try to put it on another drive. I have no iPhoto experience, so don't quote me on that. Other programs I cannot comment on as I have no experience with them either.
Old Oct 5, 2004, 03:10 PM   #3
jeremy.king
macrumors 603

I use two partitions. Well, actually they are two separate hard drives.

One for system and applications
One for all my documents, iTunes Music, iPhoto Library, and other non-app crap.

No need to get partition happy for each iApplication and my only reason is so I can upgrade/reinstall OS X - if needed, and not affect my documents. Also makes backing up documents that much easier.
jeremy.king is offline   0
Old Oct 5, 2004, 03:24 PM   #4
Espnetboy3
macrumors 6502

wat is partitioning or partitioning a hard drive exactly mean . u do that in disk utilities right
Espnetboy3 is offline   0
Old Oct 5, 2004, 03:33 PM   #5
wrldwzrd89
macrumors G4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Espnetboy3
wat is partitioning or partitioning a hard drive exactly mean . u do that in disk utilities right
Yes, you perform a partition operation in Disk Utility. However, there isn't a way to partition non-destructively in Mac OS X right now, so if you do decide to partition, your disk will be formatted and you'll lose anything not backed up. Partitioning divides a physical hard disk into several smaller logical disks. The combined size of all partitions and the partition table will roughly equal the size of the same disk with just one partition.
Old Oct 5, 2004, 04:23 PM   #6
Espnetboy3
macrumors 6502

so i have a lacie drive and my regular hd , those are the only two drives i could partition , but if i choose to everything will be deleted on it right or can u partition other stuff, also wat is the benefit of doin this . thanks
Espnetboy3 is offline   0
Old Oct 5, 2004, 05:06 PM   #7
James L
macrumors 6502a

Not necessary, imho.
James L is offline   0
Old Oct 5, 2004, 05:44 PM   #8
elskeptico
macrumors member

alright, no partition is the way I went...

BUT after I re-install the OS, I want to restore my iPhoto, iTunes etc. libraries. Can I simply copy over my whole home directory folder into 'users'?

Is it that simple?
elskeptico is offline   0

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Macintosh Computers