Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > Mac OS X Server, Xserve, and Networking

Old May 16, 2010, 03:59 PM   #1
cantthinkofone
macrumors 65816

10.4 Server, Invalid Serial after install

Yes this is a illegal install of 10.4 Server. I'm just wanting to mess around with a server OS and see what I can break and get working. I found a serial online and it worked and everything seemed fine. When i opened the server admin program it said my serial was invalid.

Why would it let me install if it is invalid? I haven't hooked it up to the internet and the only other computer on the network is a laptop running 10.5, also no internet.

Is there a way around this?
cantthinkofone is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2010, 11:40 PM   #2
1ofthedavids
macrumors regular

Well, you said yourself it's illegal.... do you really think you're going to get help?
1ofthedavids is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2010, 11:41 AM   #3
cantthinkofone
macrumors 65816

Expected some type of response. Im just curious as to why it would let me install it, and then when it's up and running it would say it's invalid.

Being it's four year old, out dated server software, and I'm just tinkering with it I don't see the big deal.
Old May 17, 2010, 02:15 PM   #4
Consultant
macrumors G5

You can get a time limited OS X server for FREE to test out.
Consultant is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2010, 02:44 PM   #5
JGruber
macrumors 6502

I'm almost positive Apple isn't offering that program any longer.

http://seminars.apple.com/contactme/...verEvaluation/
Old May 17, 2010, 02:46 PM   #6
jampat
macrumors 6502a

The forum rules here are pretty clear about requesting information on illegal software. This thread will probably be deleted in 3. . 2. . 1 . . .

That being said, it would be nice if corporations allowed non-commercial, unsupported use of their old software, unfortunately, non (that I know of do). Doesn't the mac mini server come with a copy of server?
Old May 17, 2010, 02:49 PM   #7
JGruber
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by jampat View Post
The forum rules here are pretty clear about requesting information on illegal software. This thread will probably be deleted in 3. . 2. . 1 . . .

That being said, it would be nice if corporations allowed non-commercial, unsupported use of their old software, unfortunately, non (that I know of do). Doesn't the mac mini server come with a copy of server?
Yes, however it's $1000, so to learn the server software (which changed a lot from 10.4 to 10.6), it's a big investment.
Old May 17, 2010, 02:54 PM   #8
cantthinkofone
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by jampat View Post

I'm not asking for a serial number.

I picked Tiger because 1) I'm using a Power Mac G4 to run it on, and 2) its way out of date and not sold any more, don't think apple would care if somebody installed it just to tinker on. Not trying to run a corporation here.
Old May 17, 2010, 02:56 PM   #9
JGruber
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by cantthinkofone View Post
I'm not asking for a serial number.

I picked Tiger because 1) I'm using a Power Mac G4 to run it on, and 2) its way out of date and not sold any more, don't think apple would care if somebody installed it just to tinker on. Not trying to run a corporation here.
Jampat wasn't implying that, he was referring to the talk of doing something with illegal software.

I'm sure you can find 10.4 Server on CD or DVD on Ebay, that way you can do it legally.
Old May 17, 2010, 03:13 PM   #10
Consultant
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGruber View Post
I'm almost positive Apple isn't offering that program any longer.

http://seminars.apple.com/contactme/...verEvaluation/
Doh! Thanks for the info.
Consultant is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > Mac OS X Server, Xserve, and Networking