Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater

Old May 16, 2010, 09:19 PM   #1
Chip NoVaMac
macrumors G3

Now with iPad, does Apple TV become more than a "hobby"?

Given the number of RIP threads on the MR for the iPad... does this bode well that Apple TV might get some attention?

I know I sat on the fence over Apple TV so far. It never made sense to me if I was buying DVD's of the movies I wanted to watch. Till I got my iPad. Did a purchase of 2012 on iTunes because it was lower priced than what I could purchase it for at the time.

I am now rethinking about adding an Apple TV to my mix of video gadgets. I may have to wait till WWDC to see what Steve offers us on the Apple TV front. So far the current offering is lacking for me.
Old May 16, 2010, 09:22 PM   #2
appleguy123
macrumors 603

RIP as in requiescat in pace or as in rip an idea? I don't see how either relate to Apple TV.
Old May 16, 2010, 09:50 PM   #3
Chip NoVaMac
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by appleguy123 View Post
RIP as in requiescat in pace or as in rip an idea? I don't see how either relate to Apple TV.
There are programs that allow us to RIP the DVD's we own under Fair Use provisions. Sorry if I offended in amy way of the use of RIP or rip....
Old May 16, 2010, 10:02 PM   #4
nuckinfutz
macrumors 603

The Apple TV will leave "hobby" status eventually but we may not see anything substantial until next year.

Chances are it'll become the next device to run iPhone OS 4.x and ARM based processing.

This means it becomes an extension of the mobile platform that millions are already using. It means it becomes a light duty gaming platform and WebTV like device.
nuckinfutz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2010, 10:57 PM   #5
appleguy123
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chip NoVaMac View Post
There are programs that allow us to RIP the DVD's we own under Fair Use provisions. Sorry if I offended in amy way of the use of RIP or rip....
Oh, I didn;t even think of it that way.
Old May 17, 2010, 12:12 AM   #6
whitneydigital
macrumors newbie

Cable TV or Apple TV

This may not be a new thought on these forums, but I was just pondering the possibility of canceling my cable TV service and instead buying season passes on iTunes for all the tv shows that I normally DVR, then watch them on Apple TV. It would probably be cheaper. But then also thought that the iPhone or iPad could replace Apple TV if Apple wanted, especially if the new iPhone has a mini-hdmi output as rumored.
whitneydigital is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2010, 12:27 AM   #7
richprice79
macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (iPhone : Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

I actually don't have cable and only use apple tv and netflix it works great and the HD shows look great and are in 5.1
Old May 17, 2010, 09:00 AM   #8
Billy Boo Bob
macrumors 6502

It all depends on what's being watching on your TV. You're not going to get live news, sports, etc... on ATV / iTunes. If you have little kids around, you'll spend a lot to get all they can see broadcasted between the Disney, Nick, and Cartoon Network channels.

OTOH, if all you're ever watching is a few of the current shows, then it could be worth it. Mileage varies by user's (and family's) viewing habits. There's no way I could afford it here. Too many TVs watching too many different things.

And it's none of your damn business what Apple gear I own.
Billy Boo Bob is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2010, 09:25 AM   #9
Chip NoVaMac
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Boo Bob View Post
It all depends on what's being watching on your TV. You're not going to get live news, sports, etc... on ATV / iTunes. If you have little kids around, you'll spend a lot to get all they can see broadcasted between the Disney, Nick, and Cartoon Network channels.

OTOH, if all you're ever watching is a few of the current shows, then it could be worth it. Mileage varies by user's (and family's) viewing habits. There's no way I could afford it here. Too many TVs watching too many different things.
It has only been two short weeks with my iPad; but it has changed how I live with TV or sorts. Doing the Netflix thing for my movie fix. And doing a lot more reading of books here now. In particular the older classics.

Basic cable TV and 1.5Mbps are part of my condo fee - so thinking of ditching the HD DVR and 5Mbps that I pay extra for. Now if only NBC, CBS, and FOX will follow ABC's example and offer an App for that LOL - it would be a perfect world.

Would be great if the next gen of the Apple TV had DVR capabilities though.
Old May 21, 2010, 07:34 AM   #10
Phantom Gremlin
macrumors regular

Google to the rescue

Maybe the recent Google / Intel / Sony announcement of Google TV will convince Apple that they need to treat Apple TV as more than a hobby or they will be left behind.
Phantom Gremlin is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2010, 09:57 AM   #11
Billy Boo Bob
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chip NoVaMac View Post
Now if only NBC, CBS, and FOX will follow ABC's example and offer an App for that LOL - it would be a perfect world.
At tv.com you can get some full episodes of cbs's (and maybe some others) tv shows. But yeah. A true app for each would be ideal.

And it's none of your damn business what Apple gear I own.
Billy Boo Bob is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater