Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

machacker

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 25, 2008
I Just found a great new app in Cydia. It's called Fullforce. It allows you to make an iPhone app work full resolution, full screen, and utilize the iPad keyboards. So apps that you already bought for the iPhone like Beejive, you don't have to buy again, you can use fully on the iPad. (also the facebook app works amazing).

It is just amazing at how much Apple cripples the iPad just so they can make more money in the app store...

The General

macrumors 601
Jul 7, 2006
I Just found a great new app in Cydia. It's called Fullforce. It allows you to make an iPhone app work full resolution, full screen, and utilize the iPad keyboards. So apps that you already bought for the iPhone like Beejive, you don't have to buy again, you can use fully on the iPad. (also the facebook app works amazing).

It is just amazing at how much Apple cripples the iPad just so they can make more money in the app store...

Doing this to iPhone applications is not 100% fool proof. It introduces many bugs and sometimes just doesn't work at all. Try posting an image in the Facebook app. It crashes. Try post an image in pretty much any fullforced iPhone application. They all crash. There isn't a single iPhone application that works perfectly when fullforced. Tweetie and Facebook are close, but they both crash trying to open the image picker.

Apple didn't "cripple" the iPad by making iPhone applications run at iPhone size. iPhone applications are designed to be 320x480. Apple made iPhone applications all work perfectly as designed. 100% in the center of the screen or scaled to 200%.

This isn't a ploy by Apple to make more money in the App Store. If that were the case, they would have made it impossible for developers to release universal applications and they would have made it impossible to post an update for an existing paid iPhone application that includes an iPad UI.

I know it might make you feel good to knock the App Store and Apple for "crippling" the iPad. It might seem like the cool thing to do these days, but if you're going to do it, at least use an argument with some sort of merit. Something more along the lines of "Apple crippled the iPad by not having iPhone applications run on the homescreen - like widgets!"

All you've done there with the last sentence in your post is make a fool out of yourself.

machacker

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 25, 2008
Thats great that you think of it that way.

I don't see a reason for apple to run them at "200%" when they obviously could have just let the apps run at full resolution without a problem. Why do we have to deal with pixelated iphone apps, when they can run full with just a small tweet. I understand that some developers are turning their applications into universal ones, but just as many AREN'T. Beejive is a great example. They are going to charge iPad users 9.99 for the iPad version, when I already paid 9.99 for the iPhone version. Apple gets a cut from those profits, so don't be naive enough to think they didn't think of this exact situation. As it is now, I'm not going to buy the iPad version of Beejive, when I can just run my iPhone version with the correct keyboards and the right resolution. Thats 3 bucks that apple loses.

While some of the functions of the apps may not work right, such as photo loading. That may have something to do with the difference in coding for the iPhone and the iPad, I get that. But the iPad should still run the apps at the proper resolution and with the proper keyboards (not just a zoomed in version of the iPhone keyboard). If the App Itself needs to be recoded, thats fine, but they should all run correctly. Because honestly most of the apps that are zoomed in, are useless on the iPad because of the resolution or keyboard problems.

And all you did with the last sentence of your post is make an jerk out of yourself.

The General

macrumors 601
Jul 7, 2006
Thats great that you think of it that way.

I don't see a reason for apple to run them at "200%" when they obviously could have just let the apps run at full resolution without a problem. Why do we have to deal with pixelated iphone apps, when they can run full with just a small tweet.

Please see the first paragraph of my post. Thanks.

I understand that some developers are turning their applications into universal ones, but just as many AREN'T. Beejive is a great example. They are going to charge iPad users 9.99 for the iPad version, when I already paid 9.99 for the iPhone version.

Take that up with Beejive, not Apple. Obviously.

Apple gets a cut from those profits, so don't be naive enough to think they didn't think of this exact situation.

You're right, Apple is just using reverse psychology on developers! Giving them the option to serve universal applications or not. Man, you're a smart one! Why didn't I think of that!

So dumb, I can't even begin to comprehend what kind of convoluted logic you're using to turn this against Apple. This is amazing. A psychology student could write his dissertation on this.

I'm done with this.

machacker

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 25, 2008
Well now that he isn't part of the thread anymore. Has anyone else found any good uses for FullForce? Im enjoying my full iPhone apps again. I haven't tried out all my games yet. Anyone else?

ngenerator

macrumors 68000
May 12, 2009
USG Ishimura
I feel no need to use this, as either the dev is going to update it or they won't. I've found a Twitter app that is optimized for the iPad, so I don't need my Tweetie iPhone app "forced" to be fullscreen. Same with all of the other 5 whole iPhone apps I've got on my iPad. Either it's not important enough to be in for longer than a few seconds (memory freeing app) or it's just not worth the hassle.

Plus, what'll happen if the app gets updated and the aforementioned bugs mess the app up? Thanks, but i'll pass :)

Hendjaz

macrumors newbie
May 3, 2010
New York Times (iPod version), Directv and Facebook all seem to look better and work fine, although haven't yet really used Facebook. NY Times has much more content than the iPad version so Fullforce is very worthwhile for it.

rorschach

macrumors 68020
Jul 27, 2003
Just installed. A lot of apps don't work. They either crash, have visual glitches, or they just don't fill the screen at all.

That said, for the apps that DO work it's a very nice option to have. Tweetie works fairly well, so does Facebook.

atr

macrumors regular
Dec 16, 2009
I use it for OmniFocus. Works great! I also use it on others, some work good, some not so much.

Chrysaor

macrumors 6502
May 16, 2006
rorschach said:
Just installed. A lot of apps don't work. They either crash, have visual glitches, or they just don't fill the screen at all.

That said, for the apps that DO work it's a very nice option to have. Tweetie works fairly well, so does Facebook.

Tweetie crashes for me when I search.

gwynne

macrumors 68000
Mar 11, 2010
Most apps don't work for me with this (but I never had many iPhone apps anyway). However, I've kept it because it makes the MacGourmet app so much less ugly. This is the only one I have that it works on. (Probably only of interest to cooks/people who own the MacGourmet desktop software.)

rorschach

macrumors 68020
Jul 27, 2003
iDisk app works great!

Apps that use any kind of custom controls or have a lot of graphics tend not to work. The ones that mostly use the standard controls/UI elements usually work ok.

GinoDotCom

macrumors regular
Apr 7, 2010
I was hoping it would do wonders with my Sonos app, but doesn't work correctly with this app either :(

BergerFan

macrumors 68020
Mar 6, 2008
Mos Eisley
It works great with:

Twitter For iPhone(Tweetie).
NetNewsWire.
TVGuide(UK).
iFile.

Basically, any app that uses the default, base UI.
:D

machacker

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 25, 2008
iDisk works very well. Beejive IM does, and Facebook is awesome. So far that has made it worth it to me! :D

BergerFan

macrumors 68020
Mar 6, 2008
Mos Eisley
iDisk works very well. Beejive IM does, and Facebook is awesome. So far that has made it worth it to me! :D
Agreed. Facebook in Safari is awesome, and I couldn't see how using the iPhone app would be a decent experience on the iPad. Well, with FullForce it is. :D

nutsnbolts

macrumors 6502
Aug 11, 2008
It doesn't work well with Pocket Informant. Almost but no cigar. Going back and forth from Portrait/Landscape screws up and it gives you blank screen. Oh well.

tuxing

macrumors member
May 21, 2010
fullforce -- out of the planet app

fullforce - person who made this is a genius! thanks!

got following iphone apps working great in fullscreen with it:
meebo
yahoo finance
yahoo news
ichm -- great
systeminfo
facebook
sysinfoplus
colloquy
ifile
twitter

portrait and landscape work fully in these apps.

and these apps look great with iphone interface unlike some specific ipad interface apps.

tacoshell

Contributor
Oct 9, 2008
Angry Birds run full screen perfect graphics. 99c and you can also have it on your iPhone compared to the 'HD' version.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.