Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > iCloud and Apple Services

Old May 18, 2010, 06:29 AM   #1
discofuel
macrumors 6502

Mobileme backup?

Does the Mobileme backup work in a similar way to Time Machine, in that it only copies new or modified files, or does it copy the entire directory each time?

I have a documents folder of 8.5GB and want to set a weekly backup but if it copies the whole folder each time firstly it will take days to backup and also it won't be able to store many backups with the 20GB limit.
discofuel is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2010, 06:48 AM   #2
davidgreem
macrumors newbie

As per my knowledge MobileMe everytime backup a full directory instead of the selected files recommended by you so it works as per time machine as you opted ones for backup all the updates untill that time will include to that.so you need to take care of your limits also replace the old one with new every time.
Old May 18, 2010, 03:04 PM   #3
discofuel
macrumors 6502

I guessed as much. I know Dropbox only uploads files that have changed but doesn't have a backup tool.

Is there anything out there that achieves this?
Old May 18, 2010, 05:10 PM   #4
Siriosys
macrumors regular

Hi Discofuel,

I use Backup.app (MobileMe) every day at startup on my Mac and my findings are different from what you've been told.

Yes, it does a full backup the first time you create the set, but everytime thereafter it only backs up the changed files which means that you're not waiting for 8+Gb to backup each day. My backup is a similar size to yours.

Deleting an old set from time to time isn't a bad idea either.
1Tb Ext HD; iControl; Apogee Duet;
Siriosys is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2010, 12:17 PM   #5
discofuel
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siriosys View Post
Hi Discofuel,

I use Backup.app (MobileMe) every day at startup on my Mac and my findings are different from what you've been told.

Yes, it does a full backup the first time you create the set, but everytime thereafter it only backs up the changed files which means that you're not waiting for 8+Gb to backup each day. My backup is a similar size to yours.

Deleting an old set from time to time isn't a bad idea either.
Ok great - just what I was hoping for

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > iCloud and Apple Services