Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cecoleman

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 13, 2007
I just sold my iMac to my aunt for her business. I used the money to buy a new iMac, in case you were wondering. Well, she has these Creative Labs computer speakers that output SPDIF digitally. Well I didn't know that they wouldn't work when plugged into the headphone jack of the iMac. By the way the iMac is a 24" model from early 2009 running Snow Leopard. I told her I would figure out how to make these work that it had to be something easy.

But honestly, I can't figure it out. What do I do? Can it be done? It seems silly that a modern computer couldn't output to these speakers, so it has to be capable. Please help me if you know what I need to do.

Thanks in advance.

DewGuy1999

macrumors 68040
Jan 25, 2009
I believe your iMac has a combined headphone/optical digital audio output port. You'll need to get a optical digital audio output cable (also called Toslink). I believe that you may need an adapter (Toslink-to-3.5 mm (1/8-inch) stereo) for the end that connects to the iMac. If you already have the cable then I think all you'd need is the adapter. HTH

cecoleman

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 13, 2007
So I plug the speaker cable into that adapter? Then that adapter plugs into the iMac? The speaker cable she has now looks like any other speaker cable that plugs into a device/iPod/iMac. On her subwoofer it shows it plugged into the SPDIF port on the sub.

DewGuy1999

macrumors 68040
Jan 25, 2009
So I plug the speaker cable into that adapter? Then that adapter plugs into the iMac? The speaker cable she has now looks like any other speaker cable that plugs into a device/iPod/iMac. On her subwoofer it shows it plugged into the SPDIF port on the sub.

That sounds like you don't need an adapter. Does the tip of the plug look like an ordinary headphone plug (metal), it might have a mini-Toslink plug, if so it should be fiber optic on the tip. Do you know what the exact model the speakers are?

cecoleman

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 13, 2007
They are Creative Labs Soundworks 2.1 Digital Speakers with a sub. THe sub has all the connections on it. I'm not sure of the exact model.

But yea, the speaker plug looks like any other speaker plug that would plug into your soundcard. The thing is its plugged into the sub in the SPIF outlet.

ahankinson

macrumors member
Feb 1, 2010
What does the cable look like?

1) http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...d=10401&cs_id=1040109&p_id=681&seq=1&format=2

2) http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...d=10401&cs_id=1040105&p_id=123&seq=1&format=2

or

3) http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...=10423&cs_id=1042301&p_id=2671&seq=1&format=2

?

If it looks like #1, then you have the cable plugged into the wrong port on the Sub. That's an analog audio cable, so you won't be getting any digital out of it.

If it looks like #2, then you have an RCA Coaxial digital cable, and not optical TOSLINK. You'll need a converter like this: http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...=10423&cs_id=1042302&p_id=2948&seq=1&format=2

This will take the fibre optic connection and convert it to the coax connection.

If it looks like #3, you should be able to attach it to your audio output of Mac.

akm3

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2007
If those speakers really are toslink/spdif and don't have their own volume control you will be very unhappy with them under os x. Under windows it would be fine.

cecoleman

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 13, 2007
It looks like options one in your list. Its a normal looking speaker plug that plugs just fine into the iMac, just doesn't produce any audio.

ahankinson

macrumors member
Feb 1, 2010
If it looks like option 1, it shouldn't be plugged into the SPDIF port on the sub. It should be plugged into the analog audio ports. I don't suppose you could get a picture of the sub?

DewGuy1999

macrumors 68040
Jan 25, 2009
If it looks like option 1, it shouldn't be plugged into the SPDIF port on the sub. It should be plugged into the analog audio ports. I don't suppose you could get a picture of the sub?

Good luck with that. It seems he doesn't want to be helpful to those that are trying to help him. :confused:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.