Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Diatribe

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jan 8, 2004
Back in the motherland
Just saw that the menu bar in .mac has changed from brushed metal to aqua blue.
With the new interface seen in Mail.app this could really mean stepping away from metal. For some this would be a relief for some not. I for one liked brushed metal, especially in Safari. But the change in .mac just made me wonder if this is the end.

johnnyjibbs

macrumors 68030
Sep 18, 2003
London, UK
I wouldn't have thought it necessarily means the end of brushed metal. But the .mac site was looking very dated and 10.1 like. It looks like they've just updated it to a more modern look but I doubt we'll see aqua iTunes or the like (at least I hope not).

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
johnnyjibbs said:
I wouldn't have thought it necessarily means the end of brushed metal. But the .mac site was looking very dated and 10.1 like. It looks like they've just updated it to a more modern look but I doubt we'll see aqua iTunes or the like (at least I hope not).
Maybe we'll see platinum iTunes with the debut of Tiger. The so-called "platinum" appearance appears to be a blend of good old Aqua and brushed metal. It has all the advantages of brushed metal (click anywhere to drag window, not just title bar), plus all the advantages of Aqua (nice and clean, not quite so likely to be disliked the way brushed metal was when it was introduced).

wwooden

macrumors 68020
Jul 26, 2004
Burlington, VT
thanks for pointing that out

I didn't even notice that was changed. Anyway, now that i have seen, I think the brushed metal was easier to read then the aqua. Guess I'm just too used to it.

varmit

macrumors 68000
Aug 5, 2003
maybe each release will have a different interface. Aqua, now Brush Metal, and soon to be Platinum. All the iApps might get this working over. Give the people a choice of what they want their apps to look like. Good to give themes that are built right in. Just as long as they don't effect profromance.

toughboy

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2003
Izmir, Turkey
well as a dedicated, but "soon to be ended" .mac user, I really liked the change to Aqua interface on the bar.. it somehow made an impact of seeing an old friend.. :)

Mechcozmo

macrumors 603
Jul 17, 2004
I don't mind the brushed metal, nor aqua. I do mind not being able to swap between them.

ijimk

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2004
Here
I agree i would like the option of switching, i would also hope for more OS colors other than aqua and metal.

AoWolf

macrumors 6502a
Nov 17, 2003
Daytona Beach
Yeah I really dislike the metal. I like applications like poisoned that give you the choice. It would be awesome if the Os did but apple does like to have its own style so I think at the most we would only see one or two options.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.