Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

taran420

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 8, 2008
Toronto, Canada
before i continue, why isnt there a accessories section for macs? (maybe its me, but couldnt find it anywhere)

ok so i just got my first ever mac, macbook pro 15inch.

My question is, is a sleeve good enough or do you guys have zagg shields and hardshells on it aswell?
after doing some research i am settling with this sleeve http://www.adorama.com/Als/ProductPage/TUMSSE15BK.html
but should i put shields or a hardshell on it? my only concern is scratches on the outside of the screen, do they scratch up easily? especially if its in the sleeve?

any thoughts? thanks

str8bucs

macrumors regular
Apr 13, 2010
WV
I use a Speck Hard Shell and an Incase Sleeve... most people think that is overkill but I like to keep my :apple: safe.

RedRaven571

macrumors 65816
Mar 13, 2009
Pennsylvania
I just ordered one for my MBP 15.4" from SFbags.com; I had one of theirs for my HP Pavilion for 5 years and loved it.

I put the laptop in the sleeve and the sleeve in a Targus notebook backpack to keep it safe when I transport it; I tried an Incase sleeve from BB but didn't like the way the zipper scraped against the sides of the MBP when putting it in.

taran420

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 8, 2008
Toronto, Canada
thanks for all the replies guys, i appreciate it. Also thanks for letting me know about that problem with incase Redraven. I think im gonna do a bit more research before deciding.

if anyone has any other suggestions, they all are welcome:)

2high2aim

macrumors 6502
Apr 19, 2010
SoCal
I
That the same one I use, do you know the difference in the regular and the plus?

I asked this questions in another thread and got no response what is the difference between the the Incase sleeves please explain.

Incase is very good sleeve but I also think the hard shell is a really good option and convenient because you do not have to mess around with closing and opening. If your a hardcore protection freak then you might be bothered by dust and small particles being stuck between the Aluminum and Shell perhaps even causing MINOR minor minor scratches. (just so I dont get flamed for it) These minor "starches" will most likely be unnoticed until you really look close enough

vasuba

macrumors member
Apr 13, 2010

cyclical

macrumors regular
Apr 22, 2010
I use a booq sleeve made with semi-rigid foam

2w5q2dc.jpg

Amasashi

macrumors member
May 17, 2010
Personally I prefer a sleeve to a hard case. Right now I'm using the Incase Neoprene Sleeve from Apple's online store for my MacBook Pro 13 and it's working great. Perfect fit. Snug. Good construction quality. I can just throw it into a bag or whatever and I'm good to go.

My friend uses a hardshell case and we switched for a few days. I didn't really like it because it felt like all the case did was protect the outer areas of your MBP from scratches. It doesn't cover the entire computer so your MBP ends up a weird combination of whatever case color you bought and silver aluminum. Also, it doesn't provide any padding to protect against small bumps and shakes, which is bound to happen if you put your MBP in a bag or on the seat of your car. Even if you're just carrying your MBP, a sleeve makes it so much easier to handle.

taran420

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 8, 2008
Toronto, Canada
Personally I prefer a sleeve to a hard case. Right now I'm using the Incase Neoprene Sleeve from Apple's online store for my MacBook Pro 13 and it's working great. Perfect fit. Snug. Good construction quality. I can just throw it into a bag or whatever and I'm good to go.

My friend uses a hardshell case and we switched for a few days. I didn't really like it because it felt like all the case did was protect the outer areas of your MBP from scratches. It doesn't cover the entire computer so your MBP ends up a weird combination of whatever case color you bought and silver aluminum. Also, it doesn't provide any padding to protect against small bumps and shakes, which is bound to happen if you put your MBP in a bag or on the seat of your car. Even if you're just carrying your MBP, a sleeve makes it so much easier to handle.

i seriously am considering the neoprene but does the zipper really come in contact with the laptop thus causing it to scratch the sides?
thanks

matttung

macrumors member
Apr 17, 2010
HK
i seriously am considering the neoprene but does the zipper really come in contact with the laptop thus causing it to scratch the sides?
thanks

The Capdase neoprene zip cases/sleeves are designed so that it doesn't scratch your computer ;)

Amasashi

macrumors member
May 17, 2010
thanks

Nope. It looks like it does because the fit is perfectly snug without being too tight, but there's actually fabric on the inside that prevents the zipper from actually touching the computer. Ingenius design.

2high2aim

macrumors 6502
Apr 19, 2010
SoCal
Wow this is the third time asking the same question:

What is the difference between the Incase regular and plus model neoprene sleeve?

I do not think this simple question warrants another thread spefically for it but hope some1 answers this time.

puckhead193

macrumors G3
May 25, 2004
NY
for those of you who have the hard shells (speck) do they scratch the computer if you take them off/on repeatedly? Can anyone lead me to some pictures?

cyclical

macrumors regular
Apr 22, 2010
is the inside soft on that? and does the zipper touch the laptop?
thanks

The inside is lined with a soft material, and the zipper does not touch the laptop. The exterior is made of ballistic nylon wrapped around semi-rigid molded foam.

2high2aim

macrumors 6502
Apr 19, 2010
SoCal
well my friend has a clear (hard) case for is iPhone and his phone had many scratches from dust and stuff like that building in bt the layers go with Zagg for ultimate scratch protection if you want buy their product I have a discount somewhere and can send it 2 you. LMK be4 it expires

TxMacAddict

macrumors 6502
Feb 4, 2008
Im using a Radtech Sleevz (doubles as a giant cleaning cloth) with an Incase Nylon sleeve. I can fit the power adapter, magic mouse, airport express, iPad with charger and probably some other stuff if I need to.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.