Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 18, 2010, 02:21 PM   #1
sasanshah
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: May 2010
How long should i charge my brand new Ipad?

please can any one help me ?

i have new Ipad 32GB 3G and i want to know how long should i put it in charge for the first time ?
sasanshah is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2010, 02:22 PM   #2
GamecockMac
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Columbia, SC
It should be charged and ready to go right out of the box.
GamecockMac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2010, 02:25 PM   #3
sasanshah
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: May 2010
no need to charge u mean ?

i use it untill it goes low battery ?
sasanshah is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2010, 02:26 PM   #4
spammerhamster
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
After you get it, play with it for 10+ hours till it's battery is out. Then it's time for you go to sleep, while you can charge your new love through the night.
spammerhamster is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2010, 02:27 PM   #5
sasanshah
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: May 2010
thanx bro
sasanshah is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2010, 02:30 PM   #6
Stealthipad
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by sasanshah View Post
please can any one help me ?

i have new Ipad 32GB 3G and i want to know how long should i put it in charge for the first time ?
Just use it and enjoy. Mine 64gb 3G came fully charged but even if it did not it will not harm it to use it!

Relax and have fun!
Stealthipad is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2010, 02:32 PM   #7
KevKaos
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Baltimore, Maryland USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by spammerhamster View Post
After you get it, play with it for 10+ hours till it's battery is out. Then it's time for you go to sleep, while you can charge your new love through the night.
I have never had my iPad go below like 50% before it is time to go to bed (only use it at home in the evenings), and then I plug it in to charge. Should I be intentionally letting it run down lower before charging? I thought that the newer batteries did not suffer from the energy memory issue that older batteries had. Asking rather than stating a fact.
KevKaos is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2010, 02:37 PM   #8
ngenerator
macrumors 68000
 
ngenerator's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: USG Ishimura
About once a month you're going to want to take it down from 100% to 0% until it shuts off. Then give it an hour or so and recharge it up to 100% to keep the battery meter calibrated properly.

Ultimately, it's up to the owner how many times or how the iPad is charged
__________________
4 // Itchy. Tasty.
ngenerator is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2010, 02:37 PM   #9
sasanshah
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: May 2010
bro ... one thing ... is there any booklet or ueser manual that i could read and know how to turn it on>?

cuz when it shows me itune CD and the wire
sasanshah is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2010, 02:39 PM   #10
ngenerator
macrumors 68000
 
ngenerator's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: USG Ishimura
http://www.apple.com/batteries/ipad.html and
http://manuals.info.apple.com/en_US/iPad_User_Guide.pdf
__________________
4 // Itchy. Tasty.
ngenerator is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2010, 02:46 PM   #11
spammerhamster
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevKaos View Post
I have never had my iPad go below like 50% before it is time to go to bed (only use it at home in the evenings), and then I plug it in to charge. Should I be intentionally letting it run down lower before charging? I thought that the newer batteries did not suffer from the energy memory issue that older batteries had. Asking rather than stating a fact.
You were able to put down your iPad on your first day?

Nah, it's not needed to let it run down. According to apple's advice you ought to let it run down once a month or so.

You should refrain from charging too much though (as the battery's life is measured in total dis/recharge cycles.) If you only charge it every other night, you should easily have 2-3 years of optimum usage. That's when it's time for the 3rd gen iPad.
spammerhamster is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2010, 03:02 PM   #12
FlashHead
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by spammerhamster;
You were able to put down your iPad on your first day?

Nah, it's not needed to let it run down. According to apple's advice you ought to let it run down once a month or so.

You should refrain from charging too much though (as the battery's life is measured in total dis/recharge cycles.) If you only charge it every other night, you should easily have 2-3 years of optimum usage. That's when it's time for the 3rd gen iPad.
Charge every day and it will still be strong for 2-3 years.

Charge Cycles3
A properly maintained iPad battery is designed to retain up to 80% of its original capacity at 1000 full charge and discharge cycles. You may choose to replace your battery when it no longer holds sufficient charge to meet your needs.
FlashHead is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2010, 03:15 PM   #13
ngenerator
macrumors 68000
 
ngenerator's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: USG Ishimura
I really like how once the iPad no longer holds a charge you can just swap it out for a new one for $100. That's the best battery feature IMO
__________________
4 // Itchy. Tasty.
ngenerator is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2010, 03:29 PM   #14
DKatri
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Birmingham, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by ngenerator View Post
I really like how once the iPad no longer holds a charge you can just swap it out for a new one for $100. That's the best battery feature IMO
Wonder how they will deal with this when the second gen comes out.
So if summer next year my battery is crapping out, could I still get a replacement even though there is a new gen?
__________________
MBP, iPhone, iPad
DKatri is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2010, 04:12 PM   #15
ngenerator
macrumors 68000
 
ngenerator's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: USG Ishimura
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKatri View Post
Wonder how they will deal with this when the second gen comes out.
So if summer next year my battery is crapping out, could I still get a replacement even though there is a new gen?
We'll know when that bridge is crossed
__________________
4 // Itchy. Tasty.
ngenerator is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2010, 04:23 PM   #16
nidserz
macrumors 6502a
 
nidserz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Dubai x Toronto
Quote:
Originally Posted by ngenerator View Post
I really like how once the iPad no longer holds a charge you can just swap it out for a new one for $100. That's the best battery feature IMO
do you have to get extended apple care for this?
if i don't this won't be the case in the 2nd year would it?
thanks
__________________
iPhone 5 |16GB|white|unlocked
Aluminum MacBook |2.4GHz|8GB|256GB SSD
rMBP |13"|2.6GHz|16GB|256GB SSD
twitter |youtube
nidserz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2010, 04:34 PM   #17
ngenerator
macrumors 68000
 
ngenerator's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: USG Ishimura
http://www.apple.com/support/ipad/service/battery/

That's all the info that's available
__________________
4 // Itchy. Tasty.
ngenerator is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2010, 12:57 PM   #18
ntlntl
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: May 2010
there were some tips like

charge full cycles 3 times after arrival. Then you can do whatever you want, as long as there is always 1 full charge or deep charge a month
ntlntl is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
iPad: How long does it take you to fully charge your Ipad Air?? jalinga iPad 10 May 10, 2014 09:41 AM
How long does your 5S need to charge? Poly iPhone 21 May 3, 2014 11:27 PM
iPad taking long to charge, but my charger or iPad battery? WhiteIphone5 iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting 1 Nov 15, 2012 01:44 PM
iPad: How long to charge iPad 4 from dead? DotCom2 iPad 9 Nov 14, 2012 07:48 PM
How long will the battery last on a charge trlyka MacBook Pro 1 Jun 12, 2012 03:41 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:39 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC