Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zakthemack

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 15, 2004
Based on what I've read in other forums it appears that the best way to password protect folders is to not be logged in under my username. Is there an alternative? As I'm typically always logged in. I have files that are somewhat "sensitive", and should the lady find them could land me in some hot water. I'm sure those of us with a gf/wife understand what I'm getting at here....Thanks again.

nesbitt_a

macrumors 6502
Nov 1, 2003
zakthemack said:
Based on what I've read in other forums it appears that the best way to password protect folders is to not be logged in under my username. Is there an alternative? As I'm typically always logged in. I have files that are somewhat "sensitive", and should the lady find them could land me in some hot water. I'm sure those of us with a gf/wife understand what I'm getting at here....Thanks again.

You could set the file permissions using finder, right click > get info > permissions, or by using CHMOD in terminal - and setting to 700 (only you can access). This will only work if 'the lady' has her own account - and does not have access to your files. If you're using panther, turn on filevault too.

A.

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
Best option is to create a new password protected disk image, then just mount it when you want your pr0n (it will ask for p/w before it will mount), and don't forget to unmount it before walking away ;) :D

Diatribe

macrumors 601
Jan 8, 2004
Back in the motherland
Just create a diskimage with disk utility. Mount it when you want to "use" :D those files and unmount it when you're done. Easy. Password protected and encrypted.

Edit: Damn you Ede ;) Again you beat me.

keysersoze

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2004
NH
edesignuk said:
Best option is to create a new password protected disk image, then just mount it when you want your pr0n (it will ask for p/w before it will mount), and don't forget to unmount it before walking away ;) :D

I agree with this. Or just get another storage device.

Edesignuk-- Your Avatar just got me so busted at work. I have grown accustomed to Beautiful Lady, but apparently my co-worker's not so accustomed... They caught a glimpse and blurted out (real loud) "Who the HELL is That?!?!"

Now I've got some 'splainin to do.

Thanks Buddy!
:) :D

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
keysersoze said:
Edesignuk-- Your Avatar just got me so busted at work. I have grown accustomed to Beautiful Lady, but apparently my co-worker's not so accustomed... They caught a glimpse and blurted out (real loud) "Who the HELL is That?!?!"

Now I've got some 'splainin to do.

Thanks Buddy!
:) :D
That just made my day! :D :p The current one has a rather LARGE full size version doesn't it? :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.