Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

paydayj

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 18, 2010
Alright so, I am a proud owner of a 21.5 in. iMac and a iPhone 3GS. However, since I'm now a college student, I need something else to fill that void. So, I'm trying to decide between the new Macbook they just updated vs. a Macbook Pro vs an Ipad? If I had an iPad I could use Logmein for my 21.5 in. iMac or just stick with one of the Macbooks? Also, if I should get a Macbook pro, I'll only be able to get the 13 in. For money reasons. Any help would be appreciated!

Note: I go to a broadcasting college if that makes any difference. Also, they don't care which computer you use.

Serelus

macrumors 6502a
Aug 11, 2009
Vm9pZA
I am going to disregard the MacBook as it really doesn't have any advantages over the Macbook Pro.
As an owner of the new model MacBook Pro's, I can assure you it's worth buying if you have the money. Only buy the MacBook if you're short on money or you need a laptop fast.

The question we all know is really:

What are you going to use it for?

dantiston

macrumors newbie
May 18, 2010
It's $200 more, fyi. And besides that, if you're going to have access to your iMac, you should definitely get the iPad. There's no need to have a laptop if you have an iMac. An iPad let's you take notes, write papers, watch movies, etc. etc. etc. etc. You'll just need the iMac for some small things (like printing).

mdatwood

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2010
East Coast, USA
It's $200 more, fyi. And besides that, if you're going to have access to your iMac, you should definitely get the iPad. There's no need to have a laptop if you have an iMac. An iPad let's you take notes, write papers, watch movies, etc. etc. etc. etc. You'll just need the iMac for some small things (like printing).

You're kidding right? The iPad is a great consumption device but I don't see how someone could take notes, much less write a paper. Even if you assume all the papers that will be written will require zero online research and/or additional documents (that whole no 2 programs/windows up at the same time thing makes it tough) it would still be a huge pain to try and write much at all on the iPad. Might as well write the papers on Google docs using the iPhone. This is also ignoring the huge PITA that is file management on the iPad

I'll echo an above poster, what 'void' are you trying to fill? Do you need an internet/consumption device to carry around beyond your current iPhone? If you need to do much real work (creating documents, etc...) while away from your iMac, I would go for a full computer.

Penn Jennings

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2010
Michigan

You can get a keyboard for the iPad and use it for notes. I don't see the iPad as a good device for school... it really sounds like "justification". Even people that own iPads don't typically consider it a good device for content creation.

Penn Jennings

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2010
Michigan
Alright so, I am a proud owner of a 21.5 in. iMac and a iPhone 3GS. However, since I'm now a college student, I need something else to fill that void. So, I'm trying to decide between the new Macbook they just updated vs. a Macbook Pro vs an Ipad? If I had an iPad I could use Logmein for my 21.5 in. iMac or just stick with one of the Macbooks? Also, if I should get a Macbook pro, I'll only be able to get the 13 in. For money reasons. Any help would be appreciated!

Note: I go to a broadcasting college if that makes any difference. Also, they don't care which computer you use.

Here the thing. If you go MBP or MB, you don't need the iMac. All you would need is the MBP or MB and you have complete mobility. If you go iPad, you still need the iMac and the iPad will not be as handy in class or the library.

If it were me, I'd get the MBP and sell the iMac. The New MackBook is a bad deal IMHO. You can kill 2 GB with just Safari as soon as you hit a few pages that invoke plug-ins. You really want 4 GB so you might as well go MBP 13 for only $200 more. The iPad is cool but it really doesn't add much new functionality for a $600 plus investment.

kernkraft

macrumors 68020
Jun 25, 2009
Here the thing. If you go MBP or MB, you don't need the iMac. All you would need is the MBP or MB and you have complete mobility. If you go iPad, you still need the iMac and the iPad will not be as handy in class or the library.

If it were me, I'd get the MBP and sell the iMac. The New MackBook is a bad deal IMHO. You can kill 2 GB with just Safari as soon as you hit a few pages that invoke plug-ins. You really want 4 GB so you might as well go MBP 13 for only $200 more. The iPad is cool but it really doesn't add much new functionality for a $600 plus investment.

I agree on I think all the points.

- Sell the iMac and get a MBP with an external display.

OR keep the iMac and get a....

notebook. A paper one with a pen. You don't need more gadgets. With an iPhone, what you might need is something to read documents, pdfs, to study. That might be an iPad, if you don't mind the limitations, glossy screen and the price; but it might be a netbook or a matte e-reader.

But if you really needed any of these, you'd already have known that. So pen and paper for you then...

alust2013

macrumors 601
Feb 6, 2010
On the fence
I agree on I think all the points.

- Sell the iMac and get a MBP with an external display.

OR keep the iMac and get a....

notebook. A paper one with a pen. You don't need more gadgets. With an iPhone, what you might need is something to read documents, pdfs, to study. That might be an iPad, if you don't mind the limitations, glossy screen and the price; but it might be a netbook or a matte e-reader.

But if you really needed any of these, you'd already have known that. So pen and paper for you then...

+1. You don't need an iMac and MB/MBP. There just isn't reason for it, plus as you may find, pen and paper is approximately 50 times better for taking notes in any class other than an english or psychology lecture. If you really want another gadget, get the iPad, because there is absolutely no sense getting a notebook and a desktop if you don't need that much computing power, unless you have a large amount of disposable income.

mdatwood

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2010
East Coast, USA
+3 on the pencil and paper. Until someone makes a computer/tablet/whatever that can be used like a pencil and paper there is really no question as to what to use in class.

A great method that I used to study was to take my written notes and convert them to a computer outline. Given how free form notes (and teaching) tended to be this took a lot of thought and really helped me learn the material.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.