Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

r2romix

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 18, 2010
It started when I closed my macbook pro to move into the living room. When I reopened my laptop, the small indicator light on the button you push to open the case was off. I pressed the power button but it would not turn on. So I tried resetting the laptop by holding down the power button and I assumed it rebooted. However, each time I tried turning it on after:
The Indicator light on the case-open button would turn on, the computer would make a quiet and short booting-up noise, the screen wouldn't turn on at all, and THEN it would all shut off: noises and lights.

What do i do?

This is macbook pro 15-inch from the summer of 2008.

gnomie

macrumors newbie
May 18, 2010
HA! I had a similar issue a few weeks ago, with a macbook 17" from the same era, and am now experiencing a slightly different but related problem... The solution to my first problem was apparently a screen issue... I sent it off to apple and got a new screen for free as it is a "known" issue, although I havent found anything on the net about it.
But now I find my computer shuts down when I move it (kind of annoying when it's a laptop) and am trying to find out what that's about. Now my computer will eventually start when i reset the PRAM - start up computer while holding p,r, apple and option keys until the start up noise has happened twice. It started once when it was having the same issue as yours using this method, but when I moved the computer it shut down again and never restarted until I got the screen replaced. I think the issues are related, and the screen thing wasnt the solution, or not the the whole solution.
Good luck, and sorry I cant be more helpful...

r2romix

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 18, 2010
What's next?

How exactly did you go about sending it to apple? Did you call them first? or mail it? or send it to the genius bar?

gnomie

macrumors newbie
May 18, 2010
Actually I dealt with it through another party. I'm in Australia, and I sent it to a private company called Mac Advice, who sent it to apple. Sorry I cant be more helpful with this..

Rebeccaogun

macrumors newbie
Feb 27, 2011
i guess..

From reading the previous things that were said...
I suppose that when a Macbook is on the indicator light is supposed to be off
Also, when the macbook is sleeping, the indicator light should be flashing? :confused:

snaky69

macrumors 603
Mar 14, 2008
Sounds like your graphics card failed, you would have a nVidia 8600gt, correct? If so, take it to an authorized apple reseller, have them test it, you'll most likely get a new logic board for free even out of warranty.

arjunc

macrumors newbie
May 23, 2017
qatar
hai,
my MacBook a1534 start up and off repeating this with start up sound hope anyone help me to find

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.