Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AndyfromTucson

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 10, 2010
Who has found a password manager for the iPad that they are happy with? I love and depend on KeePassX for Mac OS X, but the versions of it in the app store either don't work with the iPad or have poor reviews. I am going on vacation next month and want to have all my passwords with me, but don't want to haul along the Macbook in addition to the iPad.

gwynne

macrumors 68000
Mar 11, 2010
Friend of mine likes 1password, but I *think* it'll only work with Safari and not the other browsers (or at least not Atomic).

tiguk

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2008
UK
Friend of mine likes 1password, but I *think* it'll only work with Safari and not the other browsers (or at least not Atomic).

It works in a few different browsers actually.

I recommend it - easy to use on all devices.

jjk454ss

macrumors 601
Jul 10, 2008
1Pqssword for the iPad doesn't even work right in Safari, you can use their own built in browser though. I am really looking forward to this working with Safarinlike it does on the iPhone. Or better yet, even more integrated with something like Atomic or iCab.

Fireproof!

macrumors 6502a
Dec 1, 2008
Frisco, TX
1Password is great.

I primarily input stuff into it via my MacBook (or the Firefox toolbar on my MacBook) and then read it when needed on the iPad. Since it syncs, it's easy to keep updated.

jjk454ss

macrumors 601
Jul 10, 2008
But until you can use it to enter passwords into a decent browser, it is for the most part useless.

srl7741

macrumors 68020
Jan 19, 2008
GMT-6
Another vote for 1Password. I like it on the iPhone and it works great on the iPad. Backup is easy and works well. I have no complaints with it. The built in browser works great with no delays.

jjk454ss

macrumors 601
Jul 10, 2008
For everyone using 1Password on your ipad, are you using the builtin browser in the 1Password app? Or another browser? How are you using it? Copy and paste? I love 1Password on my Mac, I like it on my iPhone, but I hate it on my ipad. If we could get the bookmarklet like on the iPhone it would be much better than it is now.

John Paul

macrumors member
May 10, 2010
Washington DC
While I haven't yet bought it, I've been intrigued by one called "Safe" ($5.99). Seems to offer a lot more in the way of organizing your protected data than many other password programs I've seen. However, it's not clear to me how much (if at all) it integrates with Safari or any of the other web browsers. Might be worth exploring, or it might not, depending upon exactly what your needs are.

spamdumpster

macrumors 6502a
Jan 22, 2008
Best password manager app? BRAAAAAAAIIINNNS!

I know it's a hijack, put I agree with this post 100%. Can anyone explain to me why you would need a password manager? If you have a good system, you can easily remember an infinite series of discreet passwords.

IronLogik

macrumors 6502
Jun 15, 2009
I know it's a hijack, put I agree with this post 100%. Can anyone explain to me why you would need a password manager? If you have a good system, you can easily remember an infinite series of discreet passwords.

Because for my bank accounts I like having longer random generated passwords so that it cannot be guessed or easily bruteforced. Now, if my bank implemented an RSA key like my world of warcraft account uses then I'd be more lenient about my password and make it something I could easily remember. But until then, stronger passwords are better.

Next. 1Password cannot be fooled by phishing. It knows the page the password should be entered on, if that page isn't the same as what you originally saved it to it won't enter it. So it's even safer yet.

Plus, it is also a wallet. I can save my CC number to the app for example. Oops, forgot my credit card? I can get it from the app. Same for any other information really. I entered my License Plate number in (not easy to remember for me). It saves a lot more than just passwords. It's a general purpose important information vault.

Treebark

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2010

1) out of curiosity, name (or PM me) a few good systems (or link to them) as I am always on the lookout for a new one.

2) A system won't work for CC#s, SSN#s, everyone Passport#, userIDs and passwords for servers and accounts (over 3 dozen in my case) picked by others and not yourself, frequent flyer numbers, hotel and other reward numbers, etc. etc. etc.

3) I for one, while I use 1Password, am not the happiest with it as it seems too conforming. I don't want forced accounts, wallet, and logins. Ugggh, give me my own categories to use. I loved both eWallet and SplashID on the Palm but their implementation on iOS isn't up to that standard. One that looks quite nice and functions great if you don't need to synch is mSecure.

IronLogik

macrumors 6502
Jun 15, 2009
Hey Treebark,
If you aren't happy with 1Password and the others, you should try Strip. It allows you to create your own categories, which you said you're interested in. It also syncs which is convenient and gives you peace of mind because it serves as a backup.

In case you are interested, here's a link http://getstrip.com/c/forum

If you're the author you should just come out and say it rather than hiding behind the newbie status.

jtara

macrumors 68020
Mar 23, 2009
I wish 1Password supported Linux. I'd love to switch from LastPass, but it's the only thing decent that supports OSX, Windows, Linux, iPhone, and iPad.

IronLogik

macrumors 6502
Jun 15, 2009
I wish 1Password supported Linux. I'd love to switch from LastPass, but it's the only thing decent that supports OSX, Windows, Linux, iPhone, and iPad.

Hit up their support forum and ask. They're making a Windows version now.

osxnewbe

macrumors regular
Feb 21, 2006
I've been using the "Lockbox" iPhone app for the last year or so and have been very happy with it. Back in the day when I used a pocketpc, I used eWallet and really liked that program as well. I had not moved to that program because the last time I had checked they still did not have a desktop version for OSX.

My main motivation for that was if I let the battery on my pocket pc go down, I lost my ewallet database and would have to resort from my desktop copy...

jsgreen

macrumors 6502
Nov 27, 2007
NH
+1 for 1Password

Use Dropbox to store your data and you can get 1Password to work in sync on your Mac and PC (Internet Explorer and Firefox on the PC).

iPhone wireless sync via dropbox is also on its way, I've heard.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.