Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Macintosh Computers

Old Oct 6, 2004, 02:23 PM   #1
Jovian9
macrumors 68000

iMac G5, iMovie 4, iDVD 4 Review

I recently sold my iMac G4 (17" 1GHz 768MB RAM 80GB SuperDrive) and purchased an iMac G5 (17" 1.8GHz 512MB RAM 250GB SuperDrive).
When I upgraded to iLife '04 (on my G4 iMac) I quickly learned that I still needed iDVD 3 in order to be able to use iDVD the way I wanted to. With my G4 iMac, anything encoded with Best Quality (to get over 1 hour on the DVD) would take so long (I'm talking cancelling the process after 10 hours or so) that I had to quit the process and was never able to burn a DVD over an hour. So I installed iDVD 3 back on there so that I could burn simple DVD's (I always burn more than an hour per disk).
I did my first test with the iMac G5 last night (Everything is up to date via the software update):
iDVD 4.0.1
iMovie 4.0.1
Best Quality
DVD Capacity 3.5GB out of 4GB
Motion Menus 12 minutes
Tracks 15
Menus 4
Slideshows 1 (7 1/2 minutes)
Credits 3 seperate iMovie credits of 2 1/2 minutes each
There is a little less than 90 minutes of movies on here + the 12 minutes of motion menus. All menus and movies have a song from iTunes to accompany it.

After finishing my iDVD project I saved it. I then proceeded to click burn (with much worry as I was never able to complete this on my iMac G4). The entire process from clicking burn to encoding to finishing the burn took less than 3 hours.........to finish! That's a SUPER improvement over the iMac G4 that I had. All rendering in iMovie seemed a lot snappier also and the exporting in Full DV Quality out of iMovie was definitely faster.
Just thought I'd pass along my iLife '04/iMac G5 observations thus far.
Old Oct 6, 2004, 03:16 PM   #2
JOD8FY
macrumors 6502a

That's great news. Glad to hear it. Congratulations on your new machine and good luck with those movies!

Best wishes,
JOD8FY
JOD8FY is offline   0
Old Oct 6, 2004, 03:40 PM   #3
yoda13
macrumors 65816

That is good news. It takes me at least as long on my PM to do that process as it did you on your iMac G4. I am glad to see that the G5 improves things considerably on your new machine. Enjoy
Old Oct 6, 2004, 03:47 PM   #4
Whigga Spitta
macrumors 6502

I'm glad to hear that. I was playing around with an iMac G5 at my school's bookstore yesterday and it struck me as deathly slow (by that I mean nearly the same speed as my Powerbook). Really all I could do to test it was use Garageband...why do iMacs only ship with 256 RAM? That's hardly enough to power iLife...but a great looking machine nonetheless.

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Macintosh Computers