Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Positron1234

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 17, 2010
OK, I know there are more then enough of these posts, but i'm just throwing this out there.
Incase you don't know what onenote is, it's the (best) microsoft app ever written. It lets you take notes in a non-restrictive way.
I need a MacOS native version of Onenote, that suits my needs below. If anyone heard of/seen one, please tell me.
I am currently running onenote on parallels.

MUSTS (Will not consider if not offered)
Write in textboxes, drag around textboxes (write anywhere)
EASY TO USE (same as MS, at least 10 eqns per minute) equation editor (MUST MUST MUST!!!)
Draw anywhere
No Canvas restrictions
Outputs to PDF (at least)
Screen capture OR OCR (one of them is required at least, prefereably screen capture)
3-category organization (notebook, section, paper)
Someway to backup (I don't mind manually dropping the .one (or whatever) files in another drive)
Intensive search (in pictures (must) and audio(plus))

Will consider:
Import onenote files
iSight Integeration (1.3MP capture on new MPBs is a plus)
Audio Notes
Voice recognization
Both screen capture and OCR
themed notes
Nice looking
Tablet integeration
Handwritten (Equations is a huge plus)
Sync to iPod Touch
Integerations with iChat, PowerPoint, MSN, iMail, iPhoto and iTunes
More...

I checked almost all of the mac apps, and yet none offers a fullset (most likely just a few) these features...

Positron1234

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 17, 2010
I actually tried out evernote, it's one of the better ones in Mac notebook.
But...
Write in textboxes, drag around textboxes (write anywhere)
EASY TO USE (same as MS, at least 10 eqns per minute) equation editor (MUST MUST MUST!!!)
Draw anywhere
No Canvas restrictions
Outputs to PDF (at least)
Screen capture OR OCR (one of them is required at least, prefereably screen capture)
3-category organization (notebook, section, paper)
Someway to backup (I don't mind manually dropping the .one (or whatever) files in another drive)
Intensive search (in pictures (must) and audio(plus))
No write anywhere
No equation editor (this is my most wanted feature)
No drawing
No OCR as far as i know

gmorar

macrumors newbie
May 31, 2010
I'm in the same situation as you... Can't find a good alternative to OneNote, which I miss... :(

revanmj

macrumors member
Jun 2, 2010
Poland
There is going to be a web version of OneNote built into Windows Live. Unfortunately it won't have many features which its bigger brother has. But for me it will be enough.

Some screenshots (they are form SharePoint, but except the header OneNote looks the same in Windows Live): Link, Link, Link

juliainor

macrumors member
Sep 12, 2009
Have you tried Curio?

I honestly do not know if it meets all of your requirements, as my necessary functions are different than yours. However, after trying seemingly every possible OneNote substitute for the Mac, Curio has been my best replacement.

That said, I still miss OneNote. I think it is Microsoft's absolute best product and it's a mystery to my why they don't 1) port it to Mac and 2) publicize it a bit more. I introduced my sportscaster husband to it for game prep and in-game reference purposes and he literally says it changed his life. He's not exaggerating. He's always telling people about how great it is and no one's ever heard of it. It's a shame.

gmorar

macrumors newbie
May 31, 2010
Thanks... I'm in the process of trying 3 products (I know, everyone warns that no one is as good as OneNote), and see which one fits my needs: Curio; Soho Notes; and NoteBook 3 (Circus Ponies). I'll post results. BTW, I'm completely new to Mac! ...only 1 day ;)

BruceJ1

macrumors newbie
Jun 20, 2010
OneNote is included in office online - free!

Onenote is included in the office 2010 online web apps. There is no cost, and you don't need to buy office to use it. It should work just fine on the mac.

pspiegel

macrumors member
Jul 25, 2006
Onenote is included in the office 2010 online web apps. There is no cost, and you don't need to buy office to use it. It should work just fine on the mac.

I ended up caving and running VMWARE Fusion in unity mode and it actually worked out QUITE well. I used it for three whole semesters of college and it was'nt bad (well for a MS product tainting my Mac)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.