Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mr. Chewbacca

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 27, 2010
Dallas TX
This is a random question but has anyone been able to hook up an iphone dock to a stock (mach 460) in dash 6disc changer?

The stereo does not have an aux in and I cant seem to find an add on outside of FM modulators.

If I were to hook it up with an FM modulator would I still be able to use nav and pandora?

Any one have a similar problem?

vizkiz

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2008
Long Island, NY
My brother's got an 02 with the same sound system, but I haven't checked it out. Chances are there are inputs on the rear of the stereo for an input. Check out some of the Mustang forums, I'm guessing you'll get better info there than here.

Natesac

macrumors 6502a
May 29, 2008
Dallas,Tx
If I had to guess i would say the disc changer would have to go. is there an AUX button on your radio?

if there is just a button for changer. I think you will have to unplug the changer and some how wire in an aux. I could see this being a pain.

I had to get a new radio to have an aux in my 97 chevy tahoe. Then I got the Tomtom car kit and I really like that setup.

Geckotek

macrumors G3
Jul 22, 2008
NYC
I got my info from a forum that specialized in my car model.

I'm POSITIVE there are forums dedicated to the Mustang. That would be the best place to post your question.

Mr. Chewbacca

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 27, 2010
Dallas TX
This forum is amazing! The idea to use the CD changer aux port is so simple yet brilliant! I'm sure I can set up some kind of toggle switch but the only thing I use the CD player for is the occasional book on tape. I can always upload those to the Iphone so no problem there. That completely solves my major problem of the phone interfering with the radio.

Also the accessory forum turned me on to the Kuda mount. Wow! That is an awesome look! Way better than my original plan of mounting it to the windshield.

I checked the mustang forums and they couldn’t get away from just telling people to buy a whole new head unit. I didn’t want to do it bc my mustang is a convertible and aftermarket units get stolen to often. Thant and I like the OEM look, hence the Kuda mount being so great. Or to use an FM modulator which is great for a cheap mp3 player but useless for live navigation, phone calls, or Pandora.

I am always amazed at peoples creativity so if anyone has an ever better plan that would be cool but as of now I think I got a better answer than I could have expected.

Thanks again!

Geckotek

macrumors G3
Jul 22, 2008
NYC
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

Wow, sorry I directed you to the Mustang forums. We use the cd changer port for our interface on the Miata as well. Installing mine soon. Crossing my fingers that the 4G and OS 4.0 don't break it somehow.

nitemare

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2009
This forum is amazing! The idea to use the CD changer aux port is so simple yet brilliant! I'm sure I can set up some kind of toggle switch but the only thing I use the CD player for is the occasional book on tape. I can always upload those to the Iphone so no problem there. That completely solves my major problem of the phone interfering with the radio.

Also the accessory forum turned me on to the Kuda mount. Wow! That is an awesome look! Way better than my original plan of mounting it to the windshield.

I checked the mustang forums and they couldn’t get away from just telling people to buy a whole new head unit. I didn’t want to do it bc my mustang is a convertible and aftermarket units get stolen to often. Thant and I like the OEM look, hence the Kuda mount being so great. Or to use an FM modulator which is great for a cheap mp3 player but useless for live navigation, phone calls, or Pandora.

I am always amazed at peoples creativity so if anyone has an ever better plan that would be cool but as of now I think I got a better answer than I could have expected.

Thanks again!

i have an 04 Mach 1 with the Mach 460 audio. it should have an aux and sat button on the head unit. ford actually makes an ipod/iphone adaptor for that head unit however i dont think it will allow you to use the phone through the stereo. think it only works as an aux input for music. i actually just replaced my head unit with a Kenwood with bluetooth and nav but like u stated not everyone wants to go that route.

teaguecole

macrumors member
Feb 13, 2009
http://isimplesolutions.com/ipod-adapter/GateWay.asp

I got one of these but it was cheaper when I got it, I think the company was peripheral when I got it but they changed. But this hooks up to the back of your stock stereo. I ran the cable that plugs in to your iPhone underneath the gear shifter all the way to the arm rest/console and keep my iPhone in their. It charges it and I use Pandora, or Tom Tom, or Tom Tom with the iPod running in the background. It's awesome because you can control the iPhone iPod with your car stereo so you don't have to pull out your iPhone. But this way no one has a clue that you have an iPhone hooked up or anything. Completely hidden. Also when you take phone calls, the callers voice plays through the stereo. It's a little pricey but it works great and its easy to set up. Hopefully they make it for your car.

vizkiz

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2008
Long Island, NY
Isn't the 6-in-dash in the actual head unit, isn't it all one piece? I haven't been in my brother's Mustang in over a year, I preferred making him ride in my Z06 :D

bstpierre

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2008
This is a random question but has anyone been able to hook up an iphone dock to a stock (mach 460) in dash 6disc changer?

The stereo does not have an aux in and I cant seem to find an add on outside of FM modulators.

If I were to hook it up with an FM modulator would I still be able to use nav and pandora?

Any one have a similar problem?

You might want to take a look at this:
http://www.pie.net/index.php?page=s...tegory_id=164&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=40

I would spend some time trying to figure out if it is actually a fit for your radio before committing.

Mr. Chewbacca

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 27, 2010
Dallas TX

bstpierre

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2008
I think thats it. Looks like I can have both the iphone and the (indash) cd changer at the same time!

I spent days looking for something like that!

Thanks!!!!!

It says something about not working with the changer but it might mean an external changer. That is why I cautioned you to look at it carefully. I would call them up and talk at length about it before commiting the money.

I looked at them for a solution for my 05 Ford Focus but didn't buy in the end due to the cost. I went as far as taking out the radio to get a good look at the connections on the back. I have a friend who bought one for his Focus and he loves it. The Focus one is different than the 04 Mustang one.

Mr. Chewbacca

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 27, 2010
Dallas TX
Good news. The FM modulator will not cause interference with the phone. I can use navigation and Pandora. It will even display the song title on my OEM head unit (Alpine DPR-RDS1) for 99.99. Also charges the phone so no need for a power cable. An aux port would be better but I just don’t have one.

Bad news. Some accessories like this one will work with the 3g but not the 2g because they use different amounts of voltage to charge. It stands to reason that the above devise may or may not work with the g4 when it comes out. Since the g4 is using a bigger battery it’s a valid concern.

I got the Kuda mount for half price on EBAY, couldn’t wait on that, its just to cool but my quest for electronics has come to a halt until the actual specs of the g4 are released.

Thanks again for everyone's help!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.