Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rsrchr123

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 12, 2010
Today, my Apple bubble burst and I am officially done with them. I took my charger and cord out of my pocket at work and YET AGAIN the power cord has separated at the joint. In my mind, this is clearly a defect. This is the second time it's happened and I have a friend whose cord is starting to separate. My old Blackberry charger, used and abused, still works to this day. When I look at every other peripheral device I have, the area around where the cable joins to the USB plug is reinforced. Except for ALL of my Apple cables. For crying out loud, a $3 extension cord I recently bought at Walmart is more durable. Why continue to pay ten times that amount for a replacement cable that is only going to continue to separate? My deep suspicion is that they are just doing that to save money and bump up their margins ever so slightly. The design of that is *****ng junk. So now I am going to have to find a third party mfr (I think AT&T sells one) that is built the way it should be. Even after spending $200 on my phone, I am going to have to spend another $30 on a cable because Apple, in their infinite wisdom, can't design a ****ing cable that won't separate. All of their plugs are cheap. I'm sure people will write and say how their have been perfect and haven't separated - I don't care, don't want to hear it - mine has twice and that is enough for me. Coupled w/ AT&T's crappy service (which we are all forced into because, IMO, AT&T is the only one Apple could strong-arm), I am strongly considering getting a Google phone when this contract is up. I won't be waiting to multitask, or be forced to upgrade to a new phone because my phone won't support multitasking. Oh yes, I won't be able to play checkers, or one of the myriad other time wasters, but BFD. I can see through Apple's clever marketing game and I've had enough. I had every intention of staying with this company for a long time but they can kiss my ***. Apple is arrogant enough to mock PC's (not entirely unfounded) but then they can't focus enough on details to make a power cord that doesn't separate...or like I wrote in my initial post, round the entrance to the disc drive such that you don't have to hold your disc perfectly level to avoid scratches. If you don't want to focus on fine details, FINE, but don't go around with your nose in the air about how superior your products are when they need work. Need more? What about the original iphone charger cubes that plugged into the wall? I've heard that some of those broke off and shocked people and not to use one if the green dot is not present. UNACCEPTABLE.

Computer experiences are personal. There are plenty of folks who have had no problems, or minor ones with their PC. Plenty who have had major problems. Same goes for Apple. It's how brand loyalty is gained or lost. What I will say about PC's is that now, it is easy to get onsite warranty coverage - Lenovo offers it, for example. You are right about Geek Squad, and hauling your pc into Best Buy - that is a freaking waste of time. But to me, an onsite warranty beats boxing up a computer (no small feat for an imac or pro) and hauling it down to a **** mall to hand it over to a "genius" who may or may not be able to fix it. I've never heard personally of an hour wait time to get a mac fixed in the store. There are plenty of postings about people who have had bad experiences with the geniuses. Again, it's personal. Some have had no issues, others have had plenty. But as someone who has the know how to take apart a computer and replace the hard drive, for example, I'll continue buying products whose manufacturers don't design so that I can't do that.

Everything about Apple is locking you into them. Hate AT&T but want an iphone? Too bad. Got a problem with your computer (their best-selling imac?) - gotta haul it in because taking it apart is beyond most people and can even void your warranty. Want to program on the iphone? The technical press, even some of their sites and folks who are pro-Apple are ripping their new requirements. I don't know whether or not the requirements are good or bad, all I know is that it's more restrictions.

I'll pass on waiting for four product cycles to get a USB plug on a tablet device (hey guess what, looks like it uses the same cable as my iphone...) I won't buy a new iphone just because they've decided to let me multitask.

I could go on but I won't. The bottom line? I'm done.

CocoaPuffs

macrumors 68020
Aug 23, 2008
Walls of text alert!!!

Sheesh, if you typed this much to say bye to a phone...I can imagine you releasing a book to break up with a girlfriend.

Farewell...

Abyssgh0st

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2009
Colorado
Cool story bro. Glad you're ditching a great phone because you're upset with a charger that you don't have to use.

-PsYcHoNoVa-

macrumors member
Nov 26, 2009
The chords are definitely cheap. Two of mine seperated. I fixed tye first one with superglue, and my current one with tape.

goobot

macrumors 603
Jun 26, 2009
long island NY
still have my 2004 ipod cable iphone 3g ipod touch 2g iphone 3gs and spare one apple gave me free and none broke on its own. one of the iphone ones broke cause my cat was chewing on it. :rolleyes: tho ill just bring it in with my 3gs later this month for a free new one.

erictooth

macrumors newbie
May 20, 2010
Stop complaining, and stop cussing like it's some huge deal. It definitely is annoying that the cord keeps falling apart, but if you haven't you really should try taking it to Apple and see if they'll give you a new one. If they don't, then I wouldn't blame you for being angry. But not 5-year-old angry.

carebearsx3

macrumors regular
May 2, 2010
still have my 2004 ipod cable iphone 3g ipod touch 2g iphone 3gs and spare one apple gave me free and none broke on its own. one of the iphone ones broke cause my cat was chewing on it. :rolleyes: tho ill just bring it in with my 3gs later this month for a free new one.

That is why I LOVE cats. So freaking cute! :p

Rsrchr123

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 12, 2010
The first cable that separated was replaced for free. I'm sure they'd give me another one but why bother? I thought maybe the first was defective but it is the design, not that particular cable, that is the problem. I like the phone but the last cable lasted < one year. They hassled me in the store, saying it looked like I had pulled on it. I told them I had not pulled out it, but that it separated from being coiled up in a briefcase, travel bag, and occasionally my pocket. It was not a situation where they happily gave me another one. If I had not seen it, I could have grabbed bare wires when I unplugged it from the outlet. That might not be a big deal if it was plugged into a USB plug, but on a wall outlet, it is a very big deal. I'll miss things for sure, but at least the hassle will hopefully subside.

CocoaPuffs

macrumors 68020
Aug 23, 2008
Dude...has anyone ever tell you to "get to the point" before?

Anyhow, you sound like a very difficult person to please. Good luck with whatever phone you choose to have next...and good luck to those that have to deal with you next.

Knowlege Bomb

macrumors G4
Feb 14, 2008
US
I agree that the cables are crap. I've had at least three seperate on me.

I could go through quite a few more without even thinking about getting rid of my phone, which has nothing to do with the cable breaking.

Blueline29

macrumors 68020
Jun 16, 2009
Saint Augustine, FL
OK, I'm looking at my iPhone cable right now and it IS reinforced at both ends where it connects into the USB and dock connectors. I don't have any of my other cables sitting here in front of me and frankly I'm too tired after reading the OP to get up and go check 'em, so I don't know if they were reinforced or not.

Bottom line is that none of my cables ever had an issue. Not one. I have owned 2 1st gen minis, a couple of early nanos, a 4G and 5G nano, an iPod Classic, an iPod Video, an iPod Photo, 2 iPod Touches, and my current 3GS. None of the cables have frayed or separated in the slightest, FWIW.

ljx718

macrumors 6502
Dec 13, 2008
The first cable that separated was replaced for free. I'm sure they'd give me another one but why bother? I thought maybe the first was defective but it is the design, not that particular cable, that is the problem. I like the phone but the last cable lasted < one year. They hassled me in the store, saying it looked like I had pulled on it. I told them I had not pulled out it, but that it separated from being coiled up in a briefcase, travel bag, and occasionally my pocket. It was not a situation where they happily gave me another one. If I had not seen it, I could have grabbed bare wires when I unplugged it from the outlet. That might not be a big deal if it was plugged into a USB plug, but on a wall outlet, it is a very big deal. I'll miss things for sure, but at least the hassle will hopefully subside.
thought you said you paid 30?

kernkraft

macrumors 68020
Jun 25, 2009
It took 3 weeks for me to separate the cable at both ends. I agree that it is not suitable for such an expensive item. Phones that cost a tiny fraction of the iPhone have better cables. But I have to say - the cable is the least of my worries. The battery in my 3G doesn't last as long from the morning until mid-afternoon. I'll actually take mine back and complain. But I also have loose rubber around the edges.

We'll see what the future brings. I might have my essential apps on an iPod Touch, in the end... I hope that the next one will have a camera and at least the same power as the latest one (16GB).

danpass

macrumors 68030
Jun 27, 2009
Glory
Too long to read:)
Bye.

this

and the following:

p315164590.jpg

p277414752.jpg

Bye

:D

_

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.