The Best Digital Camera Ever For The Mac - MacRumors Forums
Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > MacBytes.com News Discussion

Old Oct 7, 2004, 09:17 AM   #1
MacBytes
macrumors bot

The Best Digital Camera Ever For The Mac

Category: Reviews
Link: The Best Digital Camera Ever For The Mac
Posted on MacBytes.com

Approved by Mudbug
MacBytes is offline   0
Old Oct 7, 2004, 09:24 AM   #2
wordmunger
macrumors 603

Five second summary: "I bought this camera and now I'm talking myself out of buyer's remorse."

Sounds like the camera has plenty of problems to me: difficult to move photos directly to iPhoto, can't see a preview of your image on the LCD, difficult to view controls.

Plus the reviewer clearly hasn't compared this camera to other comparable cameras. This isn't a real review, just a summary of her experiences with her new camera.
wordmunger is offline   0
Old Oct 7, 2004, 09:52 AM   #3
gerardrj
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by wordmunger
Five second summary: "I bought this camera and now I'm talking myself out of buyer's remorse."

Sounds like the camera has plenty of problems to me: difficult to move photos directly to iPhoto, can't see a preview of your image on the LCD, difficult to view controls.

Plus the reviewer clearly hasn't compared this camera to other comparable cameras. This isn't a real review, just a summary of her experiences with her new camera.
Typical... Mac 360 is about as much a "news and fact" sight as Fox news channel is "fiar and balanced".
Personally I wish MR would stop linking to the stories at M360.
gerardrj is offline   0
Old Oct 7, 2004, 10:43 AM   #4
Mudbug
Administrator emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Mudbug Send a message via Skype™ to Mudbug
Quote:
Originally Posted by gerardrj
Typical... Mac 360 is about as much a "news and fact" sight as Fox news channel is "fiar and balanced".
Personally I wish MR would stop linking to the stories at M360.
I tend to agree - the articles that are written/submitted aren't that great. The reason I keep green-lighting them is that usually they'll spark some discussion here, regardless of the article itself.

and to stay on-topic, I think there are quite a few better cameras for use with a Mac.
Old Oct 7, 2004, 11:16 AM   #5
RHutch
macrumors 6502

Quote:

I totally disagree with your "summary". If you are willing to spend $1500 on a digital camera, you won't have any buyer's remorse if it is spent on this camera. I don't think this writer even considers remorse for this purchase.

Do you know of any digital SLR camera that shows previews of your images on the LCD?

If you read carefully, the difficulty in moving images directly to iPhoto only occurs when connecting the camera to the computer, and then only requires changing a setting on the camera. If you connect insert the CF card from the camera into a card reader plugged into your Mac, iPhoto opens immediately, and there is no difficulty transferring photos.

Which controls were difficult to view?

Did we read the same article? Do you use a digital SLR?

Also, the article is not by a woman, unless that woman goes by the name "Jack D. Miller".
Old Oct 7, 2004, 11:20 AM   #6
RHutch
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudbug
I tend to agree - the articles that are written/submitted aren't that great. The reason I keep green-lighting them is that usually they'll spark some discussion here, regardless of the article itself.

and to stay on-topic, I think there are quite a few better cameras for use with a Mac.
I'm glad to have these stories linked. They may not be the greatest, but they are different from what everyone else is doing. As soon as Apple updates software or one site posts a new rumor, that "news" appears almost immediately on several Mac rumor sites. What's interesting about that.

I'm not sure what other cameras you think are better for use with a Mac, but are they comparable to the 20D? Some people don't need this much equipment, but some people do. Do you know of a better camera for use with a Mac that offers what this camera offers?
Old Oct 7, 2004, 12:00 PM   #7
jchen
macrumors member

Interesting "personal" article...

Mac360 is a bit different than most Mac sites which don't do much more than repeat "news" from other sites and throw in a few so-called reviews.

It would help if some MR readers paid enough attention to note that their grumbles are not well founded. I couldn't find anything that said controls were difficult to use, nothing that resembled "buyer's remorse", and so on. Are you folks reading the same article? By the way, digital SLRs don't preview through the LCD screen.

I've tried the camera (too pricey for me) and have to agree. It really feels like a Mac in digital camera form.

It seems to me that some MR readers (an opinionated bunch if there ever was one) mistake all web sites linked here as "news and fact". Mac360 looks like bunch of Mac folks who put up a Mac web log for reviews, opinion, and perspective. Nothing more, nothing less. Their "take" on different subjects about Mac-life is spot on, though, and that makes it interesting for Mac readers.

Gotta go with RHutch on this one. Mudbug has a good touch on which articles (mostly) spark interest, debate, comment and some of those from Mac360 do just that. Keep it up.

Finally, from what I can see, most articles are written by Tara Patricks. Jack Miller writes for AppleTurns. Jack "D" Miller is probably someone else who kindly doesn't infringe on AtAT's turf.

My 2 pence.
jchen is offline   0
Old Oct 7, 2004, 12:54 PM   #8
Mudbug
Administrator emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Mudbug Send a message via Skype™ to Mudbug
Quote:
Originally Posted by jchen
Mac360 is a bit different than most Mac sites which don't do much more than repeat "news" from other sites and throw in a few so-called reviews.

It would help if some MR readers paid enough attention to note that their grumbles are not well founded. I couldn't find anything that said controls were difficult to use, nothing that resembled "buyer's remorse", and so on. Are you folks reading the same article? By the way, digital SLRs don't preview through the LCD screen.

I've tried the camera (too pricey for me) and have to agree. It really feels like a Mac in digital camera form.

It seems to me that some MR readers (an opinionated bunch if there ever was one) mistake all web sites linked here as "news and fact". Mac360 looks like bunch of Mac folks who put up a Mac web log for reviews, opinion, and perspective. Nothing more, nothing less. Their "take" on different subjects about Mac-life is spot on, though, and that makes it interesting for Mac readers.

Gotta go with RHutch on this one. Mudbug has a good touch on which articles (mostly) spark interest, debate, comment and some of those from Mac360 do just that. Keep it up.

Finally, from what I can see, most articles are written by Tara Patricks. Jack Miller writes for AppleTurns. Jack "D" Miller is probably someone else who kindly doesn't infringe on AtAT's turf.

My 2 pence.
one question: Joey - what's a babetaxi?
Old Oct 7, 2004, 01:17 PM   #9
jchen
macrumors member

Joey Chen...

:-)

Mudbug: A place where I get to write about what interests me. Personal publishing, I guess...
jchen is offline   0
Old Oct 7, 2004, 01:29 PM   #10
JonasLoaf
macrumors newbie

Quote:

I get so sick of hearing about how you can't preview your image on the 20D, or 10D, or any other dSLR for that matter. IT'S NOT POSSIBLE!!! That's not how an SLR works. Single lens reflex means that when you are looking through the viewfinder, you are looking directly through the lens, through a series of mirrors and a prism. So, if you are looking through the viewfinder, a mirror is flipped down in front of the shutter and sensor to allow that view. When you release the shutter that mirror flips out of the way to allow light to reach the shutter and sensor. When you are looking to buy a $1500 digital camera, you should be way passed framing an image on an LCD. Same thing with a video mode. People are always listing that as a con for a dSLR. It's just not possible. Let's put this to rest.
JonasLoaf is offline   0
Old Oct 7, 2004, 01:36 PM   #11
MacManDan
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudbug
It depends on what your intentions are with the camera. Many people don't need the power or expense of a digital SLR like the 20D. Others are dedicated to the hobby, or make a living off of it, and the power presented by the 20d is a great tool. I don't think you should buy a camera because it's a "good camera for use with a Mac" .. that seems like a stupid reason to buy one. If you're in the market for a camera, you should buy one based on its quality and your needs. Most digital cameras on the market are compatible with iPhoto (even if not "officially" supported), just plug it in and download the photos.

The 20d, on the other hand, is an excellent camera. wordmunger assumes that it has problems, but the reasons are unfound: the 20d manual tells you how to connect it to a Mac and no SLR camera has live preview - but you can view the image after it is taken. I'm not exactly sure what he meant by difficult to see controls, the buttons are well labeled ..

(back to the article) I agree that the 20d feels like a Mac camera in that it has high build quality and is quite fast and easy to use .. but I disagree that the software is equally as good as Apple's. I don't like it that much but I don't buy a camera for the software so I don't really care. The software does what it's supposed to do, but I don't think it does it elegantly like Apple software.
MacManDan is offline   0
Old Oct 7, 2004, 03:23 PM   #12
nagromme
macrumors G4

HERE is the ultimate camera for Mac

There is a supercompact business-card-sized camera that has the features of a bigger camera. I mean everything--great auto control, great manual control, customizable UI, color LCD, flash with timer, OPTICAL zoom, 3D stereo photos, even videos with sound and a built-in voice recorder. And it can output slideshows/videos to TV right from the camera.

I have seen nothing to truly compete with the size/power of the Pentax Optio S4i

Check out the specs. Business card size, super light, 4 megapixels, flash, 3x optical zoom, 1.8" color LCD. A feature list a mile long. Find another camera that matches those specs and it will be much bulkier.

If a camera's so big you don't have it with you, then what's the point? That was my standard for buying. My Optio S is two generations old and I love it. I never run out of battery, it's been highly durable, and the pictures look great. It worked with iPhoto out of the box--I never even installed the CD. The new Optio S4i is even better.

You pay a little more for miniaturization, but it's worth it. A charging stand and 3D viewer are included.

Plus it's Al to match my PowerBook, instead of plastic (With a card reader in my CardBus slot, I just pop the tiny SD card out of the camera and insert it in my PowerBook to auto-launch iPhoto. No cable needed.)

Last edited by nagromme; Oct 7, 2004 at 03:45 PM.
nagromme is offline   0
Old Oct 7, 2004, 07:03 PM   #13
solvs
macrumors 601

I'm pretty sure it's the same Jack Miller. Unless they happen to have pretty similar writing styles. BTW, It's opinion people! If you don't like it, don't click on it.

On the other hand, my sister has a Nikon that blows this camera away. To be fair, it was a little more expensive. Wish I could remember the model #.
Old Oct 7, 2004, 10:09 PM   #14
Xero
macrumors 6502

everyone here should be reminded that bashing an article/other peoples opinions in this forum with little knowledge of subject at hand is probably a BAD idea.

personally, this feels like a pretty uneducated article to me. The writer complains about the 10D "not having a wide enough lens". There is a reason SLR cameras have interchangeable lenses, and why you can buy them without a lens (in other words, maybe look into a lens with a wider angle...? has nothing to do with the camera). Otherwise the 10D and 20D are pretty close in design and features.

also, i feel like saying one digital camera is better than the next for mac compatibility is moot point to begin with. i mean, as long as the camera has a PTP interface (which pretty much every digital camera does these days), iPhoto will easily import the pictures, and any software that comes with your camera (Pro Canon or not) isnt going to be worth mentioning, unless youre shooting in RAW.

i own a EOS 300D Digital Rebel, and have had plenty of experience with the 10D (as well as the 1DS, and Nikon D1X), and i can assure you that you cant really get a better camera in this price range right now, despite the flakey review. Then again if all you want is a compact digital point and shoot, than your opinions might be biased.

Last edited by Xero; Oct 7, 2004 at 10:19 PM.
Xero is offline   0

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > MacBytes.com News Discussion