Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

In celebration of the 30th Anniversary of Pac-Man, Google has released a playable Pac-Man game "doodle" on their front page in place of their traditional logo.

123128-google_pacman_500.png

Written in Javascript, the game is playable on iPhone OS devices (iPhone, iPod Touch, iPad) using swipe gestures. iPhone and iPod Touch users may need to switch over to "classic" from "mobile" (located at the bottom of the site).

Article Link: Google PacMan 'Doodle' Playable on iPhone OS

NiteWaves77

macrumors member
May 28, 2007
Cupertino, CA
To be precise...

The trinket is written in Javascript, but uses Flash to handle audio. That's why you don't hear any sound from the game on iDevices.

Trius

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2008
been playing pac-man all morning...

Congratulations Google!
You just managed to halt all productivity everywhere today.

douglaswilliams

macrumors member
Apr 22, 2010
Oklahoma
The gov't doesn't block google

Oh man, I've been playing all morning. I'm glad the gov't doesn't block Google!

...now I feel bad for wasting your tax dollars. Okay, I won't play any more. Back to work.

Okay, just kidding. I only played one game.

SkippyThorson

macrumors 68000
Jul 22, 2007
Utica, NY

...now I feel bad for wasting your tax dollars. Okay, I won't play any more. Back to work.

I'm not gonna start on how much I loathe government employees in all areas for reasons like this, so I won't go into the "Nobody Does Their Job" speech. No, the Gov doesn't block that on their computers, but that doesn't mean you should be playing games while you SHOULD be working, and working off of taxpayer dollars I may add. The Gov is the joke it is today thanks to things like this.

I did come to this thread, however, to say how they should leave it like this permanently, but I think I retract that now. People that should be working aren't, because Google turned a standard search function into a game. I know in my mind too, that no one I know is going to pass by it without playing... Sad.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
I'm not gonna start on how much I loathe government employees in all areas for reasons like this, so I won't go into the "Nobody Does Their Job" speech. No, the Gov doesn't block that on their computers, but that doesn't mean you should be playing games while you SHOULD be working, and working off of taxpayer dollars I may add. The Gov is the joke it is today thanks to things like this.

So you never post here from your work?

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003

I did come to this thread, however, to say how they should leave it like this permanently, but I think I retract that now. People that should be working aren't, because Google turned a standard search function into a game. I know in my mind too, that no one I know is going to pass by it without playing... Sad.

buzz kill

bassjunky

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2009
Texas

Dude, it's Friday, lighten the **** up.

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005
In all their recent acquisitions, did Google purchase MacRumors?

I'm just saying's all.

macfan881

macrumors 68020
Feb 22, 2006

dude you seriously need a sense of HUMOR.:D

NewSc2

macrumors 65816
Jun 4, 2005
New York, NY

Yes, government employees need to all have no lives and be nonautonomous machines. Work, slave, work!

I'm sure "efficient" private companies have employees that post here online during work (like me, right now), and check the news, latest scores, have NCAA pools...

Seriously man, lighten up, or go join your tea party.

DaveGee

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2001
I'm not gonna start on how much I loathe government employees in all areas for reasons like

Is it me, or does a soapbox rant coming from someone named SKIPPY have less impact than one from someone named JOE, BILL, TED, DEAN or just about any other common name?

HEY, YOU BETTER WATCH OUT! SKIPPY IS REALLY PISSED OFF TODAY!!

Just doesn't do anything for me... :D

Disclaimer: This was a light hearted joke, no malice was intended. My deepest apologies if it caused undue stress or anxiety.

P.S. If this reminds anyone of a great movie line (paraphrased since Google failed finding the exact quote) "Did you say BIFF? What a great name... I'll bet you never get depress with a name like Biff! Gee whats wrong Biff are you depressed? See it just doesn't sound right!" -- 2+ points extra credit if you know the movie!

stuffradio

macrumors 65816
Mar 17, 2009
It's giving me like 2 fps! Fix your crappy browser Apple, if you want people to embrace HTML 5... give us enhanced javascript engines.

Yelmurc

macrumors regular
Apr 16, 2008
Houston TX
If you click the insert coin button a second time you get to play 2 player. This works in a full brower not sure if its possible on a iphone

swajames

macrumors regular
Jan 29, 2003

:rolleyes:

Remind me to never, ever get a) trapped in an elevator with you or b) have the misfortune to attend the same parties...

Mintin8

macrumors 6502a
Mar 4, 2009
United Kingdom

Judging by your blog, you seem to hate google ;P

jordanh91

macrumors member
Is it me, or does a soapbox rant coming from someone named SKIPPY have less impact than one from someone named JOE, BILL, TED, DEAN or just about any other common name?

HEY, YOU BETTER WATCH OUT! SKIPPY IS REALLY PISSED OFF TODAY!!

Just doesn't do anything for me... :D

Disclaimer: This was a light hearted joke, no malice was intended. My deepest apologies if it caused undue stress or anxiety.

P.S. If this reminds anyone of a great movie line (paraphrased since Google failed finding the exact quote) "Did you say BIFF? What a great name... I'll bet you never get depress with a name like Biff! Gee whats wrong Biff are you depressed? See it just doesn't sound right!" -- 2+ points extra credit if you know the movie!

Hang on, I'm gonna need 1.27 Jigawatts worth of brainpower to figure this out... :U

The game is playable on my 3GS. Pretty fun, too. ^^

ant69

macrumors 6502
Feb 2, 2009

I work for a US government dept and in all honesty.... we are not paid enough to work all day long - so its bits of fun like this that gets us through the day... your tax dollars are hard at work skippy lol - now back to the game ;)

Ant

Metatron

macrumors 6502
Jul 2, 2002

Okay, just kidding. I only played one game.

I work for a US government dept and in all honesty.... we are not paid enough to work all day long - so its bits of fun like this that gets us through the day... your tax dollars are hard at work skippy lol - now back to the game ;)

Ant

Glad to see so many of us work for the Government...I work in IT Security. I recommend you review the personal use policy for government equipment again. Just saying... ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.