Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Deepshade

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 22, 2010
If there's no Hexacore at WDDC and no hint of an MP update - how significant do you think that would be for a 2010 MacPro.

Pressure

macrumors 603
May 30, 2006
Denmark
It would mean absolutely nothing.

It all depends on whether or not Intel is able to supply an sufficient amount of processors and so far they haven't.

WWDC 2010 is going to be about iPhone OS 4 and the new iPhone.

I believe the Mac Pro will be updated as a casual Tuesday update.

Deepshade

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 22, 2010

It all depends on whether or not Intel is able to supply an sufficient amount of processors and so far they haven't.

With the G5s becoming technically obsolete next week - I think no info at all it would be a bit of a double slap in the face for that section of the community.

Pressure

macrumors 603
May 30, 2006
Denmark
With the G5s becoming technically obsolete next week - I think no info at all it would be a bit of a double slap in the face for that section of the community.

Becoming? In my opinion they have been obsolete for some time. It has been over 4 years since the transition from PowerPC to x86.

rajbonham

macrumors 6502
Mar 29, 2010
As said above, if Apple doesn't even provide ANY info on the Mac Pro by the end of WWDC, it will be a serious slap the face. Expect to hear about or see updated Mac Pros by the end of the WWDC event. If not, then I would start to worry.

Deepshade

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 22, 2010
As said above, if Apple doesn't even provide ANY info on the Mac Pro by the end of WWDC, it will be a serious slap the face. Expect to hear about or see updated Mac Pros by the end of the WWDC event. If not, then I would start to worry.

FWIW - I think if there's no news in the next two weeks or worse, indeed the next two months - then that is substantial notice from Apple that they have no commitment to the MP line - and have decided that the pursuit of gadget/gizmos cash cow/pad is the way to go - at the expense of the current userbase.

Deepshade

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 22, 2010

Very far from it - the whole obsolete thing was (until a couple of weeks ago) geek obsessed. These machines do a job of work in a design studio and have paid for themselves - and more... no chasing technology to have the biggest fastest etc. Used and abused - left on over days, they've done a great job. It's ONLY with Apples notice that they will not repair them and the Intel only CS5, that they become obsolete.

ValSalva

macrumors 68040
Jun 26, 2009
Burpelson AFB
It would be highly significant. Many developers not only use Mac Pros for writing iPhone/iPad apps, they also write Mac apps. They are going to wonder what's going on with the Mac platform for a variety of reasons. I'd guess that there are going to be a lot of curious and hopefully vocal developers at WWDC wondering about the Mac Pro.

deconstruct60

macrumors G5
Mar 10, 2009
It would be highly significant.

Not really. As one poster noted as much as this is an Intel pipeline problem doesn't really contribute much to Apple's big picture motives.

More telling perhaps is that the Macbook dropped last week without any press release at all.

http://www.apple.com/hotnews/#section=mac

Not a peep. A new MacPro with just a Xeon bump to the 5600 series is what? Apple doing a major victory lap for releasing something that others have been in limited shipping by dozens of other vendors.

Many developers not only use Mac Pros for writing iPhone/iPad apps, they also write Mac apps.

Will see how much that continues now that the developers discount has been stripped from Developer subscriptions in the future.

I'd guess that there are going to be a lot of curious and hopefully vocal developers at WWDC wondering about the Mac Pro.

Why the curious about the Mac Pro specifically when the Mac as a whole platform has been backburnered at the conference. Seriously, one does not have to loop in the MacPro status to have some questions about Mac's status.

deconstruct60

macrumors G5
Mar 10, 2009
if Apple doesn't even provide ANY info on the Mac Pro by the end of WWDC, it will be a serious slap the face. .

As if Apple provides any proactive information most of the time. Most enterprise businesses have a posted notices as to when machines and software are to be retired. That comes up with plenty of time to schedule something. Apple posts next to nothing.

Why put expectations out there that Apple will provide information when they almost never do (excepts are brand new product categories. existing ones ) , then label it as "new" or "unusual" behavior.

In one of the last "big events" Jobs spin doctor as the largest mobile company. It is not just small gagets that is out of favor. It is basically anything that primarily sits in one place. They are all on various degrees of slow pacing. Mini languished for long while at one point. It may be the MacPro's turn now.

Even if the Intel supply chain is cocked up, Apple has had time to stockpile to get something going. However, nothing is really gained by coupling that to WWDC. There is no sizzle worth a "call a press conference" treatment what is likely the update.

sushi

Moderator emeritus
Jul 19, 2002
キャンプスワ&#
Agree.

Agree. Plus we will probably see hints at the future of the iPad and iPod touch hardware wise.

Agree.

In the past, Apple had MacWorld events to introduce new hardware. Unfortunately, the MacWorld events drove the development, deployment and marketing. Now with Tuesday updates, it keeps things fresher and with more visibility for Apple which in turn increases traffic in their stores.

Becoming? In my opinion they have been obsolete for some time. It has been over 4 years since the transition from PowerPC to x86.
Please remember that a computer is not obsolete as long as it still performs the function for which is was intended or needed to accomplish.

Aug 26, 2008
What is all this garbage about how Apple is moving away from the Mac? It can't happen unless the company is led by complete buffoons (I guess that could be argued in some ways).

You can't HAVE the iGadgets without the Mac's. If the Mac stuff died, so would the entire iGadget ecosystem.

Apple HAS to have some decent Mac news at some point.

sushi

Moderator emeritus
Jul 19, 2002
キャンプスワ&#
Apple HAS to have some decent Mac news at some point.
As an old timer, I see it this way:

- The real Mac OS (Pre-Mac OS X -- through System 9)

- The shell Mac OX (runs above Unix)

The next version will be ... the multi-touch Mac OX

Apple has been through many hardware changes (68, PPC, Intel) and through a significant OS change (from 9 to X). Now we are seeing the beginning of the next evolution which is multi-touch.

But don't worry, the hardware will continue to be updated. :)

Aug 26, 2008
As an old timer, I see it this way:

- The real Mac OS (Pre-Mac OS X -- through System 9)

- The shell Mac OX (runs above Unix)

The next version will be ... the multi-touch Mac OX

Apple has been through many hardware changes (68, PPC, Intel) and through a significant OS change (from 9 to X). Now we are seeing the beginning of the next evolution which is multi-touch.

But don't worry, the hardware will continue to be updated. :)

I still don't see how a multi touch OS benefits a desktop/work machine. The keyboard and mouse are incredibly precise and efficient tools. Using fingers for work is a backwards move.

sushi

Moderator emeritus
Jul 19, 2002
キャンプスワ&#
I still don't see how a multi touch OS benefits a desktop/work machine. The keyboard and mouse are incredibly precise and efficient tools. Using fingers for work is a backwards move.
Paradigm shift over time. :)

In the interim, we'll see introduction of touch features (as we already have on the MBP with the mouse pad and of course the magic mouse) into the interface.

Nothing says that you can't have multi-touch, keyboard and mouse interfaces in the same device be it a desktop or laptop type computer.

Take a look at this demo by Jeff Han. It gives a preview of what can be done with multi-touch. Apple's approach has been the handheld portable market. Microsoft is headed for table and larger implementations.

Aug 26, 2008
Paradigm shift over time. :)

In the interim, we'll see introduction of touch features (as we already have on the MBP with the mouse pad and of course the magic mouse) into the interface.

Nothing says that you can't have multi-touch, keyboard and mouse interfaces in the same device be it a desktop or laptop type computer.

Take a look at this demo by Jeff Han. It gives a preview of what can be done with multi-touch. Apple's approach has been the handheld portable market. Microsoft is headed for table and larger implementations.

"Paradigm shift over time" doesn't really mean anything though. That doesn't describe a benefit, you're just saying "it happens." The video you linked too is four years old (way before iPhone was even thought about by the public) and does not really show anything of value other than neat looking images.

I am talking about real work, the kind of stuff that drives us as a society. "Fancy" touch capability on our screens does not really do this (yet).

Can anyone give an example of where touch interaction is faster for work than a keyboard and mouse? Too many people think in terms of entertainment and "whizz bang" features, and really don't think about what is actually useful. Then again, most people aren't creative or produce anything either.

sushi

Moderator emeritus
Jul 19, 2002
キャンプスワ&#
Examples off the top of my mind:
  • Engineering (all disciplines but especially EE and ME).
  • CAD design.
  • Flowcharting.
  • Application development.
  • Navigation and terrain analysis.
  • Network analysis and trouble shooting.
  • Conducting investigations and analysis.
  • Teaching and instructing on most anything.

Basically anything requiring a workflow and team effort or analysis would be conducive to the multi-touch interface.

Just like we didn't go from DOS to Windows overnight. The trip will be gradual.

While limited in it's current implementation, Molecules provides an example of what can be done with multi-touch for molecule analysis. Doing this with a mouse or keyboard would be tedious. Multi-touch is so simple and easy to use in this case.

Deepshade

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 22, 2010
Agree.

Please remember that a computer is not obsolete as long as it still performs the function for which is was intended or needed to accomplish.

Yes I can still design on one - and run 3d software...but for me and many others, it becomes obsolete if you cannot run the latest software and cannot get the machine officially repaired.
The last issue turning it from an asset to a potential liability.

sushi

Moderator emeritus
Jul 19, 2002
キャンプスワ&#
Yes I can still design on one - and run 3d software...but for me and many others, it becomes obsolete if you cannot run the latest software and cannot get the machine officially repaired.
Understand.

I believe that my reply above includes your exceptions. :)

hoj

macrumors newbie
Sep 25, 2009

I want a desktop machine which lets me use 2 mice at the same time, one in the left hand, one in the right. :)

300D

macrumors 65816
May 2, 2009
Tulsa
it becomes obsolete if you cannot run the latest software and cannot get the machine officially repaired.

Keep the machine maintained (dust removal) and it will never need to be repaired except for the occasional failed hard drive.

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy

absolutely agree with that.
Mac Pro 2010 will be a silent release

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.