Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater

Old May 22, 2010, 03:10 PM   #1
blairh
macrumors 68020

Cables for Connecting HDTV & Macbook Pro? Settings?

Guys I'm a moron for asking but as I research this I get more confused....

I have a new HDTV coming in a few days (Samsung LN40C650). I want to play dvdmedia files from my MBP onto the HDTV. So I need a Minidisplay to DVI cable, correct? Plus a HDMI/DVI cable that will then connect to the TV itself? Then I also need an audio cable of some sort to connect from the MBP to the TV? So three cables total? (Two connected to each other, the other strictly for audio?). Also where do you recommend I purchase said cables? Monoprice?

Anything else I should keep in mind while doing this settings wise? (Make sure I select the mirror displays option in settings while connected the first time? Does the TV automatically display at 1920 x 1080 resolution?). Sole purpose when MBP is connected to HDTV is to watch dvdmedia files (I ripped my collection to my MBP). Should I keep my lid open while watching a movie? Can I minimize it into my dock so the desktop only remains visible while the movie itself plays on my TV?

Thanks in advance for your answers.
Old May 22, 2010, 06:22 PM   #2
blairh
macrumors 68020

I've decided I'm going to buy wireless headphones for my HDTV so I just need some answers regarding connections, not audio. Figured I'd eliminate another wire plus I can watch TV at night without disturbing others in the house. Win Win.
Old May 22, 2010, 06:24 PM   #3
Hellhammer

Send a message via MSN to Hellhammer
MDP to HDMI

MDP + USB to HDMI (carries audio)

No need to use mirrored displays, it may cause issues with resolutions. You can close the lid when playing to save battery and avoid image persistence.
Old May 23, 2010, 12:39 AM   #4
blairh
macrumors 68020

Just read the user reviews. They state......

"Plug in the Mini Display Port and USB into your Mac, plug an HDMI cable into the adapter and the HDMI cables other end in your HDTV, and your home free."

My only gripe with this is that every time I'll have to go into settings and set audio to come out of my USB. However it's really not a big deal at the end of the day.

Did you know the latest MBP's (I have last years model) can actually do audio too via the MDP?

Could someone breakdown the proper way to watch a dvdmedia file once everything is connected so I can run in clamshell mode with the MBP, and then disconnect properly too? Thanks again.

Chatted with a Monoprice rep (they are awesome). I'm going the cheap route (MDP to HDMI + HDMI with 3.5mm audio plug/RCA plug). If for some reason it doesn't work I'll go the MDP/USB route.

Last edited by blairh; May 23, 2010 at 08:51 PM.
blairh is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2010, 11:33 PM   #5
rajendradhakal
macrumors newbie

Send a message via Skype™ to rajendradhakal
Quote:
Originally Posted by blair.harringto View Post
I've decided I'm going to buy wireless headphones for my HDTV so I just need some answers regarding connections, not audio. Figured I'd eliminate another wire plus I can watch TV at night without disturbing others in the house. Win Win.
yes i'm agree with you. if possible to get joy self why to disturb others.
really very nice way to joy
rajendradhakal is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater