Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

d-fi

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 12, 2004
Calgary, Canada
I was just looking at upgrading my rev b 12" powerbook with some RAM now i was thinking of grabing a 1 gig stick and i thought that it might be a good idea to get the faster RAM that the rev c powerbook uses. This way if i get a new computer i can use the same RAM in the new computer and not worry about putting slower ram in a new computer. Seems worth it to me to pay an extra $10 to posibly future proof

I think i remember reading in another thread someone saying that having faster RAM won't effect the performace because it can only go as fast as the system goes.

Seems logical to me, i'm just slightly worried about having (posibly) worse performance then PC2100 RAM that is standard

Any thoughs?

mklos

macrumors 68000
Dec 4, 2002
My house!
Yes, you are correct...

If your PowerBook only uses PC2100 DDR RAM and you put PC2700 DDR RAM in it, then it will scale down to PC2100 speeds and work just fine.

crazzyeddie

macrumors 68030
Dec 7, 2002
Florida, USA
It might actually be better to get the faster RAM, since some PC2100 is not of the same spec that Apple might use, while the PC2700 will be of a higher spec to begin with.

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
crazzyeddie said:
It might actually be better to get the faster RAM, since some PC2100 is not of the same spec that Apple might use, while the PC2700 will be of a higher spec to begin with.
Apple did this with the 100MHz machines when they stopped using PC100 and required PC133.

Seemed all the marginal PC100 memory was causing a bunch of problems, and using the PC133 meant fewer problems on the slower bus.

So getting the faster memory will mean fewer problems with marginal/cheap$kate memory.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.