Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

What do you think about a glass screen cover?

• Not Possible, too thick

Votes: 4 13.8%
  • It would suck, too much glare

Votes: 9 31.0%
  • It would be awesome, I would otherwise cause screen damage

Votes: 10 34.5%
  • No point in discussing, won't happen

Votes: 6 20.7%

• Total voters

Mhkobe

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 25, 2009
Is anything like what is below possible? And furthermore, does anybody actually want this?

Attachments

• overview_hero3_20090828.jpg
    overview_hero3_20090828.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 137

theappleguy

macrumors 6502
Apr 19, 2005
One of the reasons I'm waiting for the next gen MacBook Air is because I don't want a MBP with its super glossy screen - so I definitely wouldn't want this to happen.

thinkdesign

macrumors 6502
May 12, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; IEMobile 7.11) Sprint PPC6850SP)

Yes of course it's "possible". I'll bet all it takes is for some design management person at Apple to assign the task to a minion. And glass comes in 400 finishes, they can pick a less shiny one if they care about that. Does Apple care enough to revise Air's pad? Maybe. It does seem like the kind of small step forward that they do. ----- But, there's no sense in trying to predict these things by logic alone. They now spin themselves as a "mobile"-focussed company. So which laptop do they neglect the most? Go figure :eek:)

Scottsdale

Suspended
Sep 19, 2008
U.S.A.
I once read that the lid on the glass MBPs weighed less than the lid on pre-glass MBPs. Therefore, the glass must be ultra light or Apple reduced weight of the displays or something?

I don't think weight is a problem. I personally love the glossy displays, because they're beautiful for watching movies in a dark bedroom. However, not the best in bright conditions as have a lot of glare. I wouldn't mind whichever way it goes. One thing I really like is not getting dust inside of bezel where difficult to remove from display as gets stuck.

I definitely think it's possible, however, I don't like the black bezel. The glare on the black bezel is worse than the glare on the display itself. In addition, I find the silver bezel looks a lot better from a point of design. In addition, in my perfect world I would have silver aluminum keyboard keys that match the MBA. I don't like the black. I think it would look stunning to just give us an all silver look. We have discussed this before, but there's also the possibility that Apple further differentiates the MBAs by using a black anodized aluminum.

I say not too thick and not too heavy. I think it would be a natural progression to use the same design on all Mac notebooks. The glass is great most of the time, and people like it on MBPs. I say it's a matter of when not if that Apple moves the MBA to glass too. I also would welcome the super high quality displays used in the 13" MBPs. Even better would be an HD IPS display, and I think that's where we're ultimately going. It will be glass covered just like iPad's display.

tim100

macrumors 65816
May 25, 2009
I once read that the lid on the glass MBPs weighed less than the lid on pre-glass MBPs. Therefore, the glass must be ultra light or Apple reduced weight of the displays or something?

I don't think weight is a problem. I personally love the glossy displays, because they're beautiful for watching movies in a dark bedroom. However, not the best in bright conditions as have a lot of glare. I wouldn't mind whichever way it goes. One thing I really like is not getting dust inside of bezel where difficult to remove from display as gets stuck.

I definitely think it's possible, however, I don't like the black bezel. The glare on the black bezel is worse than the glare on the display itself. In addition, I find the silver bezel looks a lot better from a point of design. In addition, in my perfect world I would have silver aluminum keyboard keys that match the MBA. I don't like the black. I think it would look stunning to just give us an all silver look. We have discussed this before, but there's also the possibility that Apple further differentiates the MBAs by using a black anodized aluminum.

I say not too thick and not too heavy. I think it would be a natural progression to use the same design on all Mac notebooks. The glass is great most of the time, and people like it on MBPs. I say it's a matter of when not if that Apple moves the MBA to glass too. I also would welcome the super high quality displays used in the 13" MBPs. Even better would be an HD IPS display, and I think that's where we're ultimately going. It will be glass covered just like iPad's display.

I find there to be alot of glare on the glossy MBP. I would like to see IPS. When do you think MBP/A will go IPS?

Scottsdale

Suspended
Sep 19, 2008
U.S.A.
I find there to be alot of glare on the glossy MBP. I would like to see IPS. When do you think MBP/A will go IPS?

I think it will be either this update or next. I really thought the MBA would get it first. In addition, the MBA buyers are paying a premium for luxury. The Macs could provide a much better experience by using better displays. In addition, I think they need to be HD. I think an HD 1440 x 900 IPS display in the MBA would make it a premium or luxury Mac over the 13" MBPs. In the long run, Apple can easily differentiate the Macs from their PC counterparts by changing to a better display that every user would benefit from every minute they're using their Macs. I just think Apple would introduce it into the MBA first. It could happen in two weeks at WWDC or could happen later this year or early 2011. Surely there's further meaning of Jobs saying they're taking the Macs to the next level, than just the same old boring MBPs with no new technology or real innovation over prior models. If Apple doesn't use IPS they could use OLED or 3D, some new technology to differentiate the MBAs.

mrsir2009

macrumors 604
Sep 17, 2009
Melbourne, Australia
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; IEMobile 7.11) Sprint PPC6850SP)

Yes of course it's "possible". I'll bet all it takes is for some design management person at Apple to assign the task to a minion. And glass comes in 400 finishes, they can pick a less shiny one if they care about that. Does Apple care enough to revise Air's pad? Maybe. It does seem like the kind of small step forward that they do. ----- But, there's no sense in trying to predict these things by logic alone. They now spin themselves as a "mobile"-focussed company. So which laptop do they neglect the most? Go figure :eek:)

The MacBook Air is overdue for an update:(

MartiNZ

macrumors 65816
Apr 10, 2008
Auckland, New Zealand

Interesting stuff, as usual. I would like to see the glass cover, and don't mind the black bezel. The point about dust is one of my pet peeves also - I give my '08 MBP a decent clean under the rim regularly, and that old design also has the plastic lip that collects stuff as well, for added annoyance.

Mind you the way it is on the unibody MBPs there is still the rubbery lip at the edge, right? And I would have thought that would offer more resistance when trying to get dust right off the display, and act as the new gather spot.

Mhkobe

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 25, 2009

You don't like the black? I love the black, but I don't think I would like black anodized, that kind of stuff reminds me of voodoo computers, and other windows boxes.

pesc

macrumors regular
Jan 20, 2006
A laptop with a reflecting glass screen is like ice cream with ketchup.

bent2013

macrumors newbie
Jul 31, 2009
Just release it...

This is the computer I'm waiting on, and I don't want to settle for a MB or MBP! So please Apple, surprise us!!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.