Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

afuturestrader

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 29, 2008
I am having a frustrating time of late with .rar files downloaded from the web. The Unarchiver has served me well for the most part.

But of late it has failed to open a number of .rar files correctly. As a result I have tried both MacPAR Deluxe and UnRarX. On occasion MacPAR has done the trick, but very infrequently.

The files in question have all opened correctly on a Windows machine using 7-zip so the files themselves are not the problem.

Any suggestions? I would much prefer to use my Mac for .rar purposes.

Thanks in advance.

zeemeerman2

macrumors 6502
Feb 21, 2010
I use UnRarX all the time. No problems here, mate.

Say, what do you need to do with .rar's other than exporting them?

afuturestrader

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 29, 2008
Which version of Unarchiver are you using? The new and improved is 2.4

I was using an older version of the Unarchiver. I upgraded and tried again. Same issue. I have some .rar files that the Unarchiver will not extract properly that 7-zip on Windows has no problems with.

I use UnRarX all the time. No problems here, mate.

Say, what do you need to do with .rar's other than exporting them?

The programs I mentioned earlier are being used only to extract .rar files downloaded from the internet.

To those who have success with UnRarx - Do you change any settings? Or do anything other than use "Open with" UnRarx?

I ask because I get the same results with UnRarx as the Unarchiver. Perhaps I am missing a step.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.