Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

red0n

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 7, 2009
I already have an iPhone 3GS, and i could do without a new one as my current one is just fine. But i'm wondering if you think i should upgrade my phone this summer should i spend my money on an iPad?

Thanks!

stisdal

macrumors 6502
Feb 28, 2010
USA
I also have a 3GS, so I got an iPad (or 2). VERY happy with my decision. The iPad gets used most of the time, and the 3GS is now only for when I'm out and in a hurry.

Since it has been reported that the 3GS will support the new OS, I figure I will wait for the improvements in mid 2011 to upgrade the phone.

Now, if I still had a 3G, I may be looking for the new phone this year...

Louis-

macrumors newbie
Feb 17, 2009
Newcastle
Personally I'd go for the iPad. I also have 3Gs and decided to pre-order an iPad instead of waiting to upgrade to a new gen iPhone. :)

pondie84

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2008
Wait and see what features are in the new iPhone first.

If you ask this same question in the iPhone forum you'll get a different response likely :p

msubugzy

macrumors member
May 22, 2010
New York, NY
Ok I'm going to take a different view...do you need the iPad this year?...cause if not i think the iPad 2.0 will be amazing. I know you would have to wait almost a year, but you'll have iPhone OS 4 on your 3GS so you'll have all the multi-tasking goodness. Since Apple is now building the processors I would give them a year to see what they can do, and the current iPad is filled (filled being a relative term to modern computers) with empty space which means a 128GB or larger iPad is not crazy, along with a front and rear camera and who knows what else...LTE?, WIMAX?.

If you need it now i would say just get a iPad and wait till your 2 years is up with AT&T and get an iPhone 4G (or iPhone HD or whatever is out then) for only a few hundred.

And I know people will say "yeah you can wait forever til the new stuff is out might as well buy now"...but the iPad is 1.0, and is Apple's 2nd best selling product right now...they will want that to continue and will continue to make it so called "magical" next year too.

Sebby

macrumors 6502a
Dec 20, 2008
London, UK
I'd go for the iPad. Although the new iPhone will no doubt bring improvements, the 3GS is very quick and will see a lot of the same features with OS 4.

jfyrfytr25

macrumors 6502a
Dec 6, 2008
Ok I'm going to take a different view...do you need the iPad this year?...cause if not i think the iPad 2.0 will be amazing. I know you would have to wait almost a year, but you'll have iPhone OS 4 on your 3GS so you'll have all the multi-tasking goodness. Since Apple is now building the processors I would give them a year to see what they can do, and the current iPad is filled (filled being a relative term to modern computers) with empty space which means a 128GB or larger iPad is not crazy, along with a front and rear camera and who knows what else...LTE?, WIMAX?.

If you need it now i would say just get a iPad and wait till your 2 years is up with AT&T and get an iPhone 4G (or iPhone HD or whatever is out then) for only a few hundred.

And I know people will say "yeah you can wait forever til the new stuff is out might as well buy now"...but the iPad is 1.0, and is Apple's 2nd best selling product right now...they will want that to continue and will continue to make it so called "magical" next year too.

I dont think anyone "Needs" an iPad, do they? to me its one of those luxury makes my life easier things. so I dont think it is a matter of does he need it now. I think it is a matter of does he want it now. if he does, he should get it. with your logic, next year will roll around and he will still not "need" it and say he should wait for 3.0 cause it is going to be just killer over 2.0

Shank2001

macrumors newbie
May 2, 2010
I dont think anyone "Needs" an iPad, do they? to me its one of those luxury makes my life easier things. so I dont think it is a matter of does he need it now. I think it is a matter of does he want it now. if he does, he should get it. with your logic, next year will roll around and he will still not "need" it and say he should wait for 3.0 cause it is going to be just killer over 2.0

I didn't know I needed an iPad but now that I have one, I don't know how I lived without it. It has become an indispensable part of my life. It is the most used computing device that I own now.

jfyrfytr25

macrumors 6502a
Dec 6, 2008
I didn't know I needed an iPad but now that I have one, I don't know how I lived without it. It has become an indispensable part of my life. It is the most used computing device that I own now.

I get it. I feel the same way, I love my iPad. But it is still not a need. Everything you can do with the iPad we could do with our computers and phones before. The iPad enhances all those activities. But don't be mistaken, If someone took it away from you, your browsing, email, video watching, so on could be done on your laptop/desktop.

wombat888

macrumors 6502a
May 10, 2008
Your life will go on without either of the two devices. Pick the one that will give you the biggest bump in either productivity or happiness. Nobody can answer for you.

TRAG

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2009
Louisiana, USA
Since this is the iPad forum, I say go the pad.

I'm going to take a left and say go for the iPhone. I, like you, have a 3GS. And I plan on getting an iPad very soon, like after I get the new (64 GB) iPhone. I'm very excited to have one.

However, it really depends on your needs and what you'd use each for. For me, I'm out and about constantly; so, the iPhone is my first priority. It's my iPod, phone, quick note taker, Internet browser, email and weather checker, camera, calculator, TV guide, calendar, radio (Slacker or Pandora or Shazam), etc. That's what I use my iPhone for. As for the iPad, it would almost exclusively for Internet and reading books because I'd use it mostly at home.

Tell us what you'd use each for for better recommendations.

nutsnbolts

macrumors 6502
Aug 11, 2008
It's really two different devices. Different uses or very similar uses, depending on how you look at it.

It's a matter of convenience on the purpose of the device. If you are into books, magazines, newspapers, emailing, surfing the web, an iPad will be a welcomed device.

On the other hand, if you need a new phone, the next gen iPhone will be a welcomed device because of necessity. You won't have phone capabilities with the iPad. Granted, you can probably read books, check email, surf the web on the iPhone as mentioned above but with a smaller screen, let's just say it won't be as pleasurable as if you had the iPad.

On the other hand, I would probably get the new iPhone first. This is coming out in the next several weeks. If you haven't played with the iPad, you probably wouldn't mind missing the experience that most people had with having one. The new iPhone would hold off any "urge" and "desire" at least and hopefully before they announce the next new iPad.

topmounter

macrumors 68030
Jun 18, 2009
FEMA Region VIII
Since you already have a 3GS, you should really be asking yourself do I really need a iPhone 3GS+Unicorn (or whatever magical and revolutionary name they decide to bless it with).

The iPad is nice because it's somewhere between the iPhone and a laptop, but unless I had neither an iPhone/Touch nor a MacBook Pro, I certainly wouldn't consider my iPad anything more than a nice-to-have luxury item when I'm too annoyed by the small screen on my iPhone and too lazy to grab my laptop.

Southern Dad

macrumors 68000
May 23, 2010
Shady Dale, Georgia
Your life will go on without either of the two devices. Pick the one that will give you the biggest bump in either productivity or happiness. Nobody can answer for you.

Total heresy! Lies, I tell you. One exposed to the magical tablet you cannot go back. Sure, I've got laptops, desktops and even the iPhone... None compare to the convenience of this magical tablet. It's... It's... Well, magical.

Thank you Steve Jobs... I will now bow at your altar.

ScottNWDW

macrumors 65816
Jul 10, 2008
Orlando, Florida
I have an iPhone 3G which I bought on it's launch day almost 2 years ago. Last month I bought the iPad and love it and when the new iPhone gets released in June or July I plan on replacing the 3G with that. If I had the iPhone 3GS though, I'd probably wait on getting the new iPhone.

If you are on a 2 year contract with the iPhone 3GS, why waste the extra $$ it would cost you for buying before the contract is up. Get the iPad now and get the latest iPhone when your contract is up to take advantage of the lower prices.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.