Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

musicpenguy

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 29, 2006
I am wondering if anyone knows of an iPad case that makes it easy to use 2 iPads at the same time?

Or any suggestions on how to build a case that provides that functionality?

Kind of an unusual scenario now - but by next year I imagine lots of people will have two iPads.

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
Buy two apple cases and get someone to cut and stitch them into a booklet for you

musicpenguy

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 29, 2006
Okay - not bad - perhaps use Velcro to attach another Apple case to the first one and then from there you could pop it on and off as needed.

Is it ridiculous to think that people will begin to have 2 ipads? Or using 2 at once? - I think having two enables people to use one to consume content and one to create - sorta like dual displays with computers.

mac jones

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2006
That's a great idea!

But it would weigh a ton and you would have to put some cushion strips around the bezel so you could close it without scratching it.

Also, the weight would probably make the system unstable, unless it was made of heavy material (like thick cowhide)

but a great idea.

(for crazy rich people) :D

(I think i'll include this in my book: "101 uses for that wild iPad thingy" )

musicpenguy

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 29, 2006
Good point - I'd love if some great designer could come up with a usable solution for this - perhaps having them separate is best and having the elastic band wrapping around both for traveling is the way to go ... ?

macswitcha2

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2008
Two iPads? seriously? Get one for you and if you have that kind of money, buy one for an unfortunate kid or student to use...sheesh...

Daremo

macrumors 68020
Jul 3, 2007
Chicago
Two iPads? seriously? Get one for you and if you have that kind of money, buy one for an unfortunate kid or student to use...sheesh...

What?

With that logic, anyone who can afford 2 cars should buy one for the less fortunate? I have 3 TV's in my house, should I give 2 of them away? Guess what, I have a few bathrooms here too... I should give away a toilet or 2.

I own 3 iPads, I must be the devil...

macswitcha2

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2008
What?

With that logic, anyone who can afford 2 cars should buy one for the less fortunate? I have 3 TV's in my house, should I give 2 of them away? Guess what, I have a few bathrooms here too... I should give away a toilet or 2.

I own 3 iPads, I must be the devil...

First of all, I can't believe you actually hissed at my post, secondly, all you did was hiss, and thirdly, while I see legit reasons for having more than one car ( utility purposes) TV ( different places in your home, apt, etc) or a Bathroom ( different floors), I see no good reason for one person to have two iPads, let alone three iPads. No you're not the devil, but most-likely you're a selfish or greedy person. What the heck do you need three iPads for?

And yes, if you are able to buy more than one car, three iPads, etc, perhaps you should think of ways of how you can share your wealth.

My goodness, you will think the more money you have the less needs you'll have but it seems like the more money people have the more greedy and selfish they become.

mac jones

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2006
So 2 iPads not PC?

Should I give one to the iPad needy? Maybe a Macbook Air owner who's Air is being repaired?

I'm confused. :rolleyes:

Friscohoya

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2009
Oaktown
First of all, I can't believe you actually hissed at my post, secondly, all you did was hiss, and thirdly, while I see legit reasons for having more than one car ( utility purposes) TV ( different places in your home, apt, etc) or a Bathroom ( different floors), I see no good reason for one person to have two iPads, let alone three iPads. No you're not the devil, but most-likely you're a selfish or greedy person. What the heck do you need three iPads for?

And yes, if you are able to buy more than one car, three iPads, etc, perhaps you should think of ways of how you can share your wealth.

My goodness, you will think the more money you have the less needs you'll have but it seems like the more money people have the more greedy and selfish they become.

The very fact that you are not only a mac owner, but several times over according to your signature, suggests that it is you who should slow down a bit and donate some cash rather than buying every shiny box with an apple logo on it. Let people do there thing. Why do you even care if he wants two $499 computers?

macswitcha2

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2008
The very fact that you are not only a mac owner, but several times over according to your signature, suggests that it is you who should slow down a bit and donate some cash rather than buying every shiny box with an apple logo on it. Let people do there thing. Why do you even care if he wants two $499 computers?

Apparently its worthy enough for you to respond to. I'm not talking about how much a person spends, I'm talking about what you do with your money. Two iPads? come on bruh, I can understand two iPads, one for you and one for someone else but two iPads for one person? Greed!!!

Friscohoya

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2009
Oaktown
Apparently its worthy enough for you to respond to. I'm not talking about how much a person spends, I'm talking about what you do with your money. Two iPads? come on bruh, I can understand two iPads, one for you and one for someone else but two iPads for one person? Greed!!!

I actually like the idea, but must admit that I am unwilling to pay for two ipads. I would, however like to see apple go to a foldable AMOLED screen that gave you the option to have either one big screen or two smaller screens in a book like layout. Content consumption on one side and creation on the other sounds like a homerun to me.

When you think about it, two $499 ipads is not much more expensive than one $830 ipad+3G...

Daremo

macrumors 68020
Jul 3, 2007
Chicago
First of all, I can't believe you actually hissed at my post, secondly, all you did was hiss, and thirdly, while I see legit reasons for having more than one car ( utility purposes) TV ( different places in your home, apt, etc) or a Bathroom ( different floors), I see no good reason for one person to have two iPads, let alone three iPads.

I hissed because you feel the need to preach for the less fortunate from your righteous high horse. Don't blame others for working hard, and earning what they have. It's not your business to judge on how people spend their money, and it's YOUR fault that you can't see the need for multiple iPads. Just because YOU don't share the vision for it, doesn't mean others can't. Work hard in life, enjoy the rewards, and you can CHOOSE who to help in life, and not by the pressure or dictation of others.

No you're not the devil, but most-likely you're a selfish or greedy person. What the heck do you need three iPads for?

Statements like this barely warrant response, as you don't know me, what I do, or what I contribute to ANYONE. No where did I say I USE all 3 that I purchased and own, and again, it's not at all your business what I choose to do with them. By the way, my 4th purchase will be happening soon, and ALL 4 of the iPads will STILL cost less that I spent on my MacBook Pro.

I like how you think a 2 car family, and $2000 in iPads constitutes "wealth." Maybe it's just good money management, and saving your earnings for the things you really want?

Here you go again with the assumptions and name calling. THIS is why I "hissed" at your post. YOU have no right attempting to install guilt on anyone because of their purchases, nor should you. That's self righteous and a pathetic attempt to manipulate others in how they spend their money, based on YOUR ideals. You do what YOU want with your money, and others will do what THEY want with theirs. Charity is a choice made from compassion, and shouldn't be from guilt. Charity BEGINS with the family.

mac jones

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2006
This thread is hereby officially worthless.

P.S. There's no such thing as " too many iPads".

can't have too many. Just can't.

Hendjaz

macrumors newbie
May 3, 2010
For the OP, In response to your original question you might take a look at the Tucano Doppio sleeve. It has two separate zippered compartments. One is for the iPad and the other is said to be for accessories but appears to be the same size as the ipad compartment and looked like it might also hold an iPad. Saw it today at Frys while picking up a Belkin Grip Vue. The Tucano sleeve looked very nice and a good value at $29.99.

http://www.tucanousa.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=BFDP

Arran

macrumors 601
Mar 7, 2008
Atlanta, USA
Most ridiculous question I have ever heard.

How is it ridiculous?

My immediate thought was trading stocks: One screen to watch news and tickers and the other to trade on.

Or music: One for sheet music, the other for a playable instrument.

Or translation/transcription: One to display the foreign language source, the other for writing the translation.

All niche applications, granted. No doubt there are more.

richpjr

macrumors 68040
May 9, 2006
What a judgmental load of crap is being spewed here. If you can't afford it or can't see the use for it doesn't mean others don't.

I would actually like something to carry an iPad and a laptop (have been looking at computer backpacks).

musicpenguy

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 29, 2006
Clarifications and the Why

Thanks for the good input on the Doppio sleeve - if people would only read the very first post - I reference the fact that when people upgrade iPads - i.e. revision 2 and revision 3 come along many people who own rev 1 will buy rev 2 - I have purchased and upgraded my iPhone - but see no reason to sell at that point because the resell value is not worth it for me.

But I do in fact have two iPads - I preordered the 64GB 3G iPad the first day - and then on launch day I ended up having an extra $500 to purchase the lowest end one with my debit card. I went to Cincinnati to cover the launch of the iPad with my cohost for the live show and before heading back home called the Cincinnati store and they had a bunch still in stock - so with no reservation or fuss was able to simply walk in with no lines and buy one (crazy as now that would be a great feat as they are sold out everywhere) With a plan of returning it 2 weeks later.

As I began to use the iPad I discovered MANY times that I wanted a second screen on the iPad.

Use Cases:
1. Watch Video while surfing the web or other applications
2. Write a paper while having a reference screen
3. Sheet Music while playing an iPad instrument.
4. Recording a podcast while having show notes up
5. Magic Window open while reading iBooks (the most crazy one) :)
6. Mainly the concept of consumption while creation at the same time

The list goes on - it is the same reason people purchase an extra monitor for their Mac or simply the need to multitask (not background) but multitask

I admit I most likely would have held off on the 3G iPad if I wasn't running a podcast discussing all of the possibilities of the iPad. - The iPad Possibilities Podcast - I ended up in that first month "needing" an iPad to use/review OmniGraffle and OmniGraphSketcher which I received for free from the OmniGroup so I could discuss the products with Ken Case on the podcast - $65 worth of free applications that I would not have had access to if I delayed. So yes I admit it does sound crazy to own 2 iPads - but I can tell you both get used everyday side by side.

I also did not want to cancel the 3G iPad because I am actually going to be getting rid of my expensive iPhone bill this summer (which I find wasteful to have when I really don't need it) and will be using the iPad for mobile data and using Skype for all of my calls - which I have done on the iPad already and it actually works out pretty good - I don't talk that much on the phone and data is really what I need when I'm on the road - plus - iPhones with sim cards taken out of them still dial 911 for emergencies.

This post was more for reference in the future as generation 2 and 3 come out how to utilize two iPads more effectively with a case designed for two.

Thanks for the helpful input from those that gave it - and I hope this clears up any misunderstandings earlier

Tim Chaten
The Possibilities Network

mac jones

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2006
There is something though, I must confess.

Apparently, you can seriously overdo it with cases . ;)

macswitcha2

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2008
I hissed because you feel the need to preach for the less fortunate from your righteous high horse. Don't blame others for working hard, and earning what they have. It's not your business to judge on how people spend their money, and it's YOUR fault that you can't see the need for multiple iPads. Just because YOU don't share the vision for it, doesn't mean others can't. Work hard in life, enjoy the rewards, and you can CHOOSE who to help in life, and not by the pressure or dictation of others.

Wow...you actually felt pressured? That is quite telling...

Statements like this barely warrant response, as you don't know me, what I do, or what I contribute to ANYONE. No where did I say I USE all 3 that I purchased and own, and again, it's not at all your business what I choose to do with them. By the way, my 4th purchase will be happening soon, and ALL 4 of the iPads will STILL cost less that I spent on my MacBook Pro.

True, its not my business. What does that have to do with my opinion about your business?

I like how you think a 2 car family, and $2000 in iPads constitutes "wealth."

Um, yes, it does.

Maybe it's just good money management, and saving your earnings for the things you really want?

It takes money to manage money and yes, my opinion is that buying three iPads for your own personal use does not make any sense whatsoever and yes, its greed.

Here you go again with the assumptions and name calling. THIS is why I "hissed" at your post. YOU have no right attempting to install guilt on anyone because of their purchases, nor should you. That's self righteous and a pathetic attempt to manipulate others in how they spend their money, based on YOUR ideals.

So you felt manipulated into guilt because of a post that expressed my opinion about buying more than one iPad for personal use? While you have the freedom to purchase anything, shoot, you even have the freedom to purchase drugs that kill you if you want to. Guess what? I have the freedom of objecting to the decisions you make just like you clearly took advantage of the freedom you have to disagree with me. The problem is that I'm being consistent with these freedoms and you're not. I assume that you will be against purchasing a gun and robbing a bank or going on a killing spree or even buying drugs that are harmful, especially if its a dear loved one, and if so, than those are ideals, and yes, your ideals. Assuming that you have children, I hope you're not telling them to buy anything they want and that no one should question their decision. I doubt that you are or you will.

You do what YOU want with your money, and others will do what THEY want with theirs. Charity is a choice made from compassion, and shouldn't be from guilt. Charity BEGINS with the family.
Telling someone to give is not guilt manipulation, nor is disagreeing with how someone spends there money. I can't believe you actually felt some sort of guilt manipulation out of one post. Did not know that a message board can do that. I mean are you manipulating me to not feel any guilt with how I spend my money? I doubt that you are.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.